Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
As someone who is looking to move to Denver, I assure you, this is NOT good news.
When we moved to Denver (from CA) in 2005, the market was crazy. We had to be in a release lottery to buy a new house in Stapleton. We were bumped from the house we actually wanted, and just took what we could get. We like the house we bought, but after living here for years, there are other floorplans we'd prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When we moved to Denver (from CA) in 2005, the market was crazy. We had to be in a release lottery to buy a new house in Stapleton. We were bumped from the house we actually wanted, and just took what we could get. We like the house we bought, but after living here for years, there are other floorplans we'd prefer.
Ideally we will build after being out there for about a year, but even that sounds like it could be tricky.

I wish things would cool off a little up there and heat up down here, depending on how you look at comps I will either be looking at breaking even or losing 25% on my current house (I bought in 2003, just before the market went insane). Can you say, "Progidal Native will be a landlord for a few years?"

*sigh*

Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Ideally we will build after being out there for about a year, but even that sounds like it could be tricky.

I wish things would cool off a little up there and heat up down here, depending on how you look at comps I will either be looking at breaking even or losing 25% on my current house (I bought in 2003, just before the market went insane). Can you say, "Progidal Native will be a landlord for a few years?"

*sigh*
I work with someone who moved here from Phoenix last Fall and he's had to rent out his old house. Right now, the rental market in Denver is crazy as well. I could rent my house for at least $1K more than the mortgage.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
I need an honest opinion from people who have bought lately here in Denver. Do you think that Denver itself is experiencing another bubble? It seems that housing costs are skyrocketing upwards again versus the rest of the country. It makes me wonder if in a few months to a year, there will be an extreme surplus of overpriced homes on the market due to everyone trying to capitalize on this frenzie.

What sucks is that my wife and I have been out here for about 6 months now and would be looking to buy a house in about a year. I unfortunately got burned in the last bubble and I particularly do not want to get burned again.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I need an honest opinion from people who have bought lately here in Denver. Do you think that Denver itself is experiencing another bubble? It seems that housing costs are skyrocketing upwards again versus the rest of the country. It makes me wonder if in a few months to a year, there will be an extreme surplus of overpriced homes on the market due to everyone trying to capitalize on this frenzie.

What sucks is that my wife and I have been out here for about 6 months now and would be looking to buy a house in about a year. I unfortunately got burned in the last bubble and I particularly do not want to get burned again.
This is the (multi) billion dollar question. I would advise you not to trust opinions on an Internet forum on such a complicated issue.

I will say that the established neighborhoods in the city did not see the crash that overbuilt suburban neighborhoods did last time around. My personal assumption is that this trend is likely to be repeated.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
This is the (multi) billion dollar question. I would advise you not to trust opinions on an Internet forum on such a complicated issue.

I will say that the established neighborhoods in the city did not see the crash that overbuilt suburban neighborhoods did last time around. My personal assumption is that this trend is likely to be repeated.
I'm definitely not going to take whatever I read on the internet as gospel, I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts on the subject.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I think there was no bubble, no double digit price run ups in the last decade.

Let your past experience help you choose the best possible property - not keep you out of the market.

Rents are up 10-15% a year, prices are up year over year - and this may continue for some time.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post

I've read numerous articles suggesting that we are most definitely in the midst of yet another artificially created housing bubble. And if you look at what is happening around the country (not just Denver) it certainly does seem that way.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I've read numerous articles suggesting that we are most definitely in the midst of yet another artificially created housing bubble. And if you look at what is happening around the country (not just Denver) it certainly does seem that way.
Denver did not experience a bubble last time around. Some of the burbs did, but the city did not.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM

257 posts, read 608,678 times
The problem is not so much with many new people moving to Denver. I mean have THAT many people moved to Denver in just one year? Increased economic activity (jobs) and low interest rates (with the knowledge rates may soon increase) have encouraged many more people to buy that have been holding out. The problem is with low inventory, and from what I've been reading that's still caused by too many people being underwater with their mortgages, so prices haven't risen high enough for them to put their houses on the market to sell. So it's supply and demand. Like the previous poster in Tuscon, who's going to put their house on the market when they are going to lose money or just break even?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver