Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 02:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Yeah I moved to South Caroline. Wanted to be near water.

I also thought it was lame in CO that you couldnt let your dog swim anywhere either.
Or land an airplane (unless you go to one reservoir on the eastern prairie) as I would love to be able to do.

The State is worried about containments in our drinking water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 02:59 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Quote:

As far as climate....THere is no perfect place. I dont think the CO climate is amazing as it is advertised. Not to mention the nice winter days can also be windy as F. Snow is May and Sept was also no bueno.
The "300 Days of Sun!" has been debunked- anyone who grew up here knows that.

And there are not really 4 seasons either- Spring and Fall usually last a month or so, as you state with the snow.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:28 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

And there are not really 4 seasons either- Spring and Fall usually last a month or so, as you state with the snow.
I'd contend that fall exists, but spring rarely does due to the snowfall late into March/April/May. Most years, especially lately, the weather doesn't turn horribly cold until December.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:42 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Yeah where I am now the COL is much cheaper overall than Denver. Keep in mind with property taxes in CO is that many of hte new developments are a metro taxing district in addition to the regular property tax. My property taxes were about $5k on a 5k sq/ft home. I had another $5k in taxes for the development which also acted as the HOA. That's getting into TX level property taxes with the state income tax. TX is not the bargain it once was. Energy was pretty cheap in CO but that is changing with Xcel energy going to peak rates. My home/car insurance is 1/2 what it was in CO. The overall savings where I moved is noticeable, but selling my home for 2x what I paid 3 years ago is hte big win.

As far as climate....THere is no perfect place. I dont think the CO climate is amazing as it is advertised. Not to mention the nice winter days can also be windy as F. Snow is May and Sept was also no bueno.

Again this is my perspective from having kids and thinking on kid activities. THe idea of loading up the truck and driving 2 hours just to go for a walk on my weekends wasnt very appealing anymore. Not that there arent other activities to do just my .02.

You're a Dominion Energy customer now? Ugh. Make sure you invest in a backup power source.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

It seemed like 300 days of sun to me, but then, I found it brutal in the summer. I like the milder sun mixed with clouds and rain in my adopted state; I'd melt in the sunbelt.

Totally agree that Denver has summer and winter with a few weeks of spring and fall.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,281,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
All I'm saying is that it balances out. You might pay the same in Texas, but the house is $225k instead.
Yes. Surrounded by fire ants. At 95 degrees and 95% humidity all summer long. With a single scraggly live oak in a lawn of crab grass. Hoping the termites don't invade.

(There is no perfect place.)

Old 02-18-2022, 06:54 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Yes. Surrounded by fire ants. At 95 degrees and 95% humidity all summer long. With a single scraggly live oak in a lawn of crab grass. Hoping the termites don't invade.

To be fair most new homes in CO have a single dead Silver Maple due to the builders not planting properly and just throwing it in clay. Our whole sub division was full of dead trees. No top soil with them.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:47 AM

374 posts, read 562,945 times
Quote:
There is no "perfect place." There just isn't.

Want affordable housing? Then be prepared to have no social amenities in Salina, KS.
SALINA, KANSAS:
THE HISTORIC STIEFEL THEATRE ANNOUNCES!
BONNIE RAITT
'Just like that...' TOUR 2022
With MAVIS STAPLES
TUESDAY, AUGUST 9 @ 8:00PM

Recently saw the Bela Fleck My Bluegrass Heart tour. John Prine (RIP) Oct. 2019.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:30 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,740 times
Quote:

I agree with you, I don't think there is either.

Lots of people are willing to put up with all the things you describe for other reasons. Texas's population density is 103.2 people per square mile. Colorado's is 52. I wanted to use total population, but that isn't fair since Texas is vastly larger than Colorado. At any rate, Colorado is the 37th biggest state in terms of population density. That means that more people per square mile choose to live in 36 other states (of the 50 states) over Colorado.

I think Colorado is lovely and I mostly enjoy the climate. But humidity and insects aren't all that bad when you consider it's a byproduct of the surrounding land having ample water resources that are required for human life. Clearly, the over 100mm people who live in those other states seem to be able to tolerate it. I mean, Florida for crying out loud...

Old 02-18-2022, 09:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
As a 5th generation Coloradoan I cannot find much I disagree with in here. FAct is I am one of 37 cousins all born and raised along the front range and right now there are only 8 of us left along the front range, with me and another cousin planning on leaving in the next few months.

Between overcrowded camping and trails, schools, roads, and even stores it often feels like what once made Colorado so great has disappeared and all that is left is a state looking for ways to always increase revenues.

What was once a libertarian state has become very much a city versus rural state with the city liberals ruling over the rest of the state and running it into the ground.

I fully understand why people move to and love Colorado, but like many others it has turned into a place that I no longer enjoy living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver