Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Well you definitely aren't the brightest crayon in the box.

You misspelled "spell".

And your username has two misspellings in it.
And I misspelled cant. On purpose. But I suppose that kind of humor is too much for you to understand.

My screen name is not my name. Yours is. Or you purport that it is. Mine is spelled correctly for what it needs to say. I assume your last name isn't Jonez.

The problem I have with your posts is that they are always slanted. Even when you are trying to be neutral in your opinions you manage to find a way to bring out the negativity. You are simply tiresome to put up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
If a person has not met someone from the east coast, west coast, or south that lives in Des Moines, they aren't looking very hard.

In my circle of friends:
One is from Georgia
One is from Texas
One is from upstate NY
One is from Washington state

just to name a few.

Also, when I was a hairstylist I met a TON of people from all over the US who had moved here (and loved it).

As for driving in Des Moines...one of my annoyances is the street set up in West Des Moines neighborhoods. I always say "everyone wants to live on a cul de sac" because the streets don't follow basic E-W-N-S patterns, they tend to curve around. Never think you can turn down a residential WDM street and think you are taking a shortcut, you will likely end up back where you started

AND, on this ISU/Iowa thing that RJ keeps insisting is a HUGE problem here...again, it is who you surround yourself with. It's never a topic of conversation among me and my friends. No one I know really cares.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM

82 posts, read 162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
One thing I can't understand is the constant statement that goes something like "almost everyone that lives in Des Moines have moved from other parts of Iowa." I don't get why this is a constant talking point. So, what? As I said, I have always lived in Iowa, and had many personal reasons for not moving too far from my hometown. I didn't necessarily stay in Iowa because I love the state or don't know anything about the rest of the world (as I think is implied). I have actually ALMOST moved across the country more than once, but circumstances kept me here. The time wasn't right then.

Life sometimes takes us far from where we grew up, and sometimes life keeps us rooted closer. Again, so what? And growing up in a fairly rural state like Iowa, its a natural move to head to the larger metro areas for a variety of reasons. People from small towns in California move to LA. People from smaller towns in Illinois move to Chicago. People from smaller towns in New York move to New York City. People from smaller towns in Minnesota move to Minneapolis. Etc. You get my point.

Again, so what?
Thing of it is that isn't really even a totally true statement. The actual breakdown of where people have relocated from is not as completely 'rural Iowa' as Ronnie would have people believe.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by econboy View Post
Thing of it is that isn't really even a totally true statement. The actual breakdown of where people have relocated from is not as completely 'rural Iowa' as Ronnie would have people believe.
I imagine you are right. IME people from the really small towns like to stay in small towns, and I know a lot of people in Des Moines who are from other Iowa metros (Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Quad Cities).

Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
You do see those "Native" bumper stickers ALL the time.

The overwhelming majority being from Iowa, not always rural Iowa. Not a huge difference.

For someone from another state, the Iowa pride thing can be a bit much to handle (if you aren't used to it or believe in it yourself). Just take the Arby's ad from a few months ago...I mean come on. There is a full-grown baby mentality in Iowa about even the slightest thing.

Arby's Commercials Edited After Iowans Cry Foul

Watch both videos. Not a big deal at all. Only in Iowa. 854 comments, basically vaudeville provided by Iowa.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
Well yes almost anything is a step up from the part of Illinois I am from. I'm not super outdoorsy so that's not a big issue. When I visited Omaha a few months ago the drive on the interstate for 75% of the drive was depressingly bare. I know I'm thinking KC and Pittsburgh are probably the more exciting of the areas. Do you think Omaha really has more going for it that Des Moines? I know it has lower unemployment but that's all I know.
Omaha is bigger than Des Moines by about 200k people, but I don't think it has all that much going for it, no. That's another really great mid-sized city, though. But the trade-off is that it's a little more isolated than Des Moines. There are only a few cities that are really easy to get to from Omaha (Sioux Falls, Lincoln, Kansas City, Des Moines), whereas Des Moines is more centrally located within the western half of the Midwest and has easier access by to more cities. And as you say, the drive across western Iowa can be hellish.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
Basically the same, not much difference although both sides will argue they are.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You do see those "Native" bumper stickers ALL the time.
What "Native" bumper stickers are you talking about? Because, quite frankly, I'm pretty sure I've never seen one.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
What "Native" bumper stickers are you talking about? Because, quite frankly, I'm pretty sure I've never seen one.
I'm wondering the same thing.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.

I Googled it and found this blog. So now I know what they are. Still haven't seen one. Except for the one on the car in the picture posted in the blog, and the blogger says that photo was taken in California.

A not for those who click on the link and read the blog: The Meskwaki aren't native to Iowa. There were European settlers living here before that nation immigrated here from Canada via Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines