Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times

Advertisements

Lol, thanks for the link. Never noticed them before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
I've never seen one of those stickers. All the cars with them must around RJ.

After reading the article I've decided: "Who the hell cares?"

Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

After reading the article I've decided: "Who the hell cares?"
The only thing I got from the article - besides the fact that the author doesn't know much about the early history of the state - is that Ronnie must be a devoted follower of the blog, if not the author himself. And if he isn't he should be.

(Disclaimer - I'm basing my opinion on the tone of the entry I posted the link to only, I didn't read any of the author's other entries so I may be completely off base here.)

Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Here's something funny...I have never noticed the "native" bumper stickers before but was behind a car this AM on the way to work that had a "native" license plate frame.

It said COLORADO NATIVE

Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
As usual, the point is intentionally being missed. Those "Iowa native" stickers run a close second to Hawkeye/Cyclones stickers.

I've also said before, if someone can get with the program, Iowa is great for them. Not everyone can be expected to just fall in love with Iowa though. Iowans also spend too much time trying to convince you how awesome it is. Sorry - other places are generally just not like this to nearly the same extent.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I Googled it and found this blog. So now I know what they are. Still haven't seen one. Except for the one on the car in the picture posted in the blog, and the blogger says that photo was taken in California.
I've seen that sticker before here in CA. In fact, looking at the location data on flickr I'm about 99% sure I've seen it on that exact car. Small world.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
As usual, the point is intentionally being missed. Those "Iowa native" stickers run a close second to Hawkeye/Cyclones stickers.
Why do you think the point is being missed? You say the "Native" stickers are "everywhere" and "a close second to Hawkeye/Cyclone stickers" (and for the record, if true it would be a close third; but that's beside the point)." And several of us have responded by saying that we've never seen one. How is that "missing the point?" We simply disagree with you about the prevalence of the stickers based on our own experiences.

Quote:
I've also said before, if someone can get with the program, Iowa is great for them. Not everyone can be expected to just fall in love with Iowa though. Iowans also spend too much time trying to convince you how awesome it is. Sorry - other places are generally just not like this to nearly the same extent.
I've never had a single person try to convince me that Iowa is awesome. And I've never tried to convince another person that Iowa is awesome. It's a decent place, no better or worse than most other places.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Those stickers are ALL over the place, you may want to invest in a pair of glasses, or get some new ones.

I'll rephrase, The civic fanaticism in Des Moines can be a bit ovewhelming, it's a double whammy effect combined with the Iowa pride. There's no way I'm the first person to realize that...of course, no one else that regularly comments here has.

Maybe one or two posters on occasion who agree with me, or at least see it, but the rest just dismiss it as all made up - because it makes them mad.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Those stickers are ALL over the place, you may want to invest in a pair of glasses, or get some new ones.
Or maybe you need to stop looking at the same car over and over again. I just walked out to the parking lot; out of 12 cars, 4 had bumper stickers:

Car 1 had 3: "I support clean TV," one that had been a quote about prayer but was mostly illegible, and a AAA sticker.

Car 2 had 2: "My horse is more pampered than my husband" and "A woman's place is on a horse."

Car 3 had two American flags.

Car 4 had a Ron Paul 2012 sticker.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:

I'll rephrase, The civic fanaticism in Des Moines can be a bit ovewhelming, it's a double whammy effect combined with the Iowa pride. There's no way I'm the first person to realize that...of course, no one else that regularly comments here has.

Maybe one or two posters on occasion who agree with me, or at least see it, but the rest just dismiss it as all made up - because it makes them mad.
I'm not seeing a problem. If you don't a little fanaticism regarding your city, and some pride in your state perhaps you should leave.

Please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines