Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Or maybe you need to stop looking at the same car over and over again. I just walked out to the parking lot; out of 12 cars, 4 had bumper stickers:

Car 1 had 3: "I support clean TV," one that had been a quote about prayer but was mostly illegible, and a AAA sticker.

Car 2 had 2: "My horse is more pampered than my husband" and "A woman's place is on a horse."

Car 3 had two American flags.

Car 4 had a Ron Paul 2012 sticker.
Not sure where you are, but they are all over WDM and downtown. You'll see quite a few on Ingersoll too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Here's how it works. Person doesn't like the place he lives. Not diverse enough, not urban enough, not "cool" enough. So when he interacts with people he makes it a point to tell them how lame he thinks the place is compared to other places.

But maybe the people he's complaining to - coworkers, fellow cub members, friends (if he has any) - like the place. So these folks feel compelled to speak up on behalf of the place in it's defense.

Person considers this defense to be cheerleading, and some sort of indication that these other people think their place is just as good as every other place. So now he feels he has to speak in condescending tones about the people who live in the place as well as the place itself.

Which compels them to defend themselves as well as the place, which he considers even more cheerleading. He's now consumed with the idea that every resident of the place is on fire with the spirit of convincing themselves and the rest of the world that their place is the best of all, to the point where now he considers any small show of civic pride nothing more than further evidence of the irrational fanaticism that virtually all residents of the place engage in.

When in fact if he had just kept his negative opinions about the place to himself they never really would have put all that much thought into it at all.

Last edited by duster1979; 12-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Or maybe you need to stop looking at the same car over and over again. I just walked out to the parking lot; out of 12 cars, 4 had bumper stickers:

Car 1 had 3: "I support clean TV," one that had been a quote about prayer but was mostly illegible, and a AAA sticker.

Car 2 had 2: "My horse is more pampered than my husband" and "A woman's place is on a horse."

Car 3 had two American flags.

Car 4 had a Ron Paul 2012 sticker.
I always pay attention to bumper stickers/magnets on cars. I've never seen a native one...and honestly? I can't say I've seen many Hawkeye/Cyclones ones, either.

If I see college ones I seem to see Drake ones most.

But I guess I'm not driving in the right areas on the right days and seeing the right cars.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 PM

I want to apologize to the OP if they are still out there. Hopefully they can read through all the ridiculousness and get some sort of answer to their questions

Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I want to apologize to the OP if they are still out there. Hopefully they can read through all the ridiculousness and get some sort of answer to their questions
By now he or she has probably decided that rural Illinois isn't so bad after all!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Look, duster. There is a stronger fanaticism in Iowa than most states. I can prove this on an abacus.

It's ignorant to naively believe everywhere is the same.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Not sure where you are, but they are all over WDM and downtown. You'll see quite a few on Ingersoll too.
I've never seen one of these either.

I've seen plenty of "my kid's an honor student" ones (which are like finger nails on a chalk board to me for some reason) but not these.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM

107 posts, read 209,776 times
Quote:
By now he or she has probably decided that rural Illinois isn't so bad after all!
Nope, I still hate it.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Look, duster. There is a stronger fanaticism in Iowa than most states. I can prove this on an abacus.

It's ignorant to naively believe everywhere is the same.
PLEASE prove this...on something other than an abacus. And in a way other than your personal experience which none of us here seem to share.

Seriously, if I was looking to move to a state and found so many were proud of it and defended it as fiercely as you claim, I'd think that state must be pretty damn awesome to have "brain washed" so many so effectively!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
PLEASE prove this...on something other than an abacus. And in a way other than your personal experience which none of us here seem to share.

Seriously, if I was looking to move to a state and found so many were proud of it and defended it as fiercely as you claim, I'd think that state must be pretty damn awesome to have "brain washed" so many so effectively!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines