Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,581 times

Advertisements

hmmm..

I really like Des Moines and along with the national publications constistantly giving it props as a top american city overall (like Omaha ) I can't help myself as I am now very intrigued by the Quad Cities after this thread..

I can see how 'some' would overlook it, but those that have done a little research would know the kinda drawing power the Quad Cities have, I would really like to visit there sometime and check it out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 PM

204 posts, read 1,012,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Not the city, the Island in the Mississippi.
The island is federal property, and probably will remain so as long as the United States is a sovereign nation. The Rock Island Arsenal has been a military base for over 140 years, surviving several rounds of base closures/realignments by the Department of Defense over the last few decades.

Unless the Pentagon decides to suddenly give up on the "war business", the RI Arsenal will continue to be property of We, The People.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I can see how 'some' would overlook it, but those that have done a little research would know the kinda drawing power the Quad Cities have, I would really like to visit there sometime and check it out..
Too bad you didn't make it here this weekend. Downtown Rock Island was having their annual Ya-Maka-My-Weekend celebration in The District. I didn't buy a ticket, but I did sit right outside on the sidewalk at Huckleberry's and listened to a live Carribean band while munching on a calzone. Ya Maka My Weekend • Home

You could always make it next weekend, when River Roots Live plays in downtown Davenport. The Guess Who and Foghat will be peforming free shows, along with a bunch of other bands. They've incorporated the Quad City Ribfest into this year's River Roots Live celebration: River Roots Live

Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 PM

200 posts, read 683,771 times
After having been born and raised in QC (and loved it) and then received my first teaching job in Des Moines (and met the man of my dreams in DM) I can definitely say DM is the better choice - yet I do love the QC. In DM there is much MORE TO DO!!! MUCH MORE! The QC is pretty based on JDEERE folks. Have family that still lives there and guess what they work at JDEERE. The summers are fun in the QC but all seasons are a blast in DM. I think DM is much more classy, too - yet down to earth.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayMaJay View Post
The QC is pretty based on JDEERE folks. Have family that still lives there and guess what they work at JDEERE. I think DM is much more classy, too - yet down to earth.
Yes, John Deere that fly-by-night Fortune 100 company who pays their employees a living wage and gives back to the community generously. If only all those unfortunate souls who have wasted their lives working for Deere & Co. could break the chains of bondage and gain employment with a much better corporation, like Wal-Mart or Taco Bell.

There are thousands of people on long waiting lists trying to score a job with Deere. The fact you would condescend to those Quad City folks for having a great company like John Deere active in the community tells me how much you understand the definition of "classy".

Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayMaJay View Post
After having been born and raised in QC (and loved it) and then received my first teaching job in Des Moines (and met the man of my dreams in DM) I can definitely say DM is the better choice - yet I do love the QC. In DM there is much MORE TO DO!!! MUCH MORE! The QC is pretty based on JDEERE folks. Have family that still lives there and guess what they work at JDEERE. The summers are fun in the QC but all seasons are a blast in DM. I think DM is much more classy, too - yet down to earth.
In DM, you can literally "Do More". I wonder if they are still marketing that, for whatever liar or optimist came up with that I cannot imagine.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
In DM, you can literally "Do More". I wonder if they are still marketing that, for whatever liar or optimist came up with that I cannot imagine.
Nobody disputes there is plenty to do in Des Moines. I know firsthand, because I spent considerable time around the area. It's a stretch to say there's so MUCH MORE to do than in the Quad Cities, however. Both areas are pretty equally suited with cultural and recreational venues.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
I think there is excessive pressure for young people in DM to be in some civic group or be civic-minded if they work for certain companies - I think that actually pushes potential new residents away. It's almost cult-like. The aggressive marketing campaigns border on the ridiculous sometimes as well.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,421 times
[quote=RonnieJonez;4902286]
Quote:
I think there is excessive pressure for young people in DM to be in some civic group or be civic-minded if they work for certain companies - I think that actually pushes potential new residents away. It's almost cult-like.

I've never even heard or seen anything remotely resembling this from anyone other than you. The Jaycees are coming to get you!

Quote:
The aggressive marketing campaigns border on the ridiculous sometimes as well.
True.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I think there is excessive pressure for young people in DM to be in some civic group or be civic-minded if they work for certain companies - I think that actually pushes potential new residents away. It's almost cult-like. The aggressive marketing campaigns border on the ridiculous sometimes as well.
There's nothing wrong with being civic-minded, though lines can get crossed when civic-mindedness suddenly becomes "Your City Sucks, My City Rocks." I've seen a little too much of that on some of these forums.

It's great that Des Moines is experiencing robust growth. The Quad Cities could probably benefit by trying to emulate some of that civic pride. However, most people in the QC are pretty content with what they already have and feel no need to validate their existence to the national mainstream media.

I'd like to see the Quad Cities achieve a little more economic growth during the next ten years than what it has over the previous decade. Still, I'd be very concerned what something like a 30% growth rate would do to housing and infrastructure in this area. It might get us in Forbes magazine more often, but I'm afraid the area I currently love could become a little too crowded for its own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines