Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
The city has lost significantly more than half it's peak population so aside from what's been razed roughly half of the living quarters are likely empty.

That doesn't count for the occupied buildings that are falling apart. Or the abandoned commercial buildings.

Some neighborhoods are clearly worse than others but any way you cut it its not a pretty picture.

I know it is an imperfect measurement as there likely were far more people living in apartment buildings back in the day, but it can't be too far off.
Many if not most were living near downtown Detroit. If you look around there most of those blocks were filled with multi-unit homes and apartment buildings. That means the average block in these areas had to be at least twice as dense as the areas that are mostly single family homes. Imagine much of the north side of Chicago if you need an idea of how these areas used to be. That's a lot of people in one area. Now many of these areas are gone or close to gone. Which in return, made Detroit's population significantly lower over the years because again, they were very very dense areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
To a degree, sure. How many buildings were razed though? Why would they be?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times
Quote:
To a degree, sure. How many buildings were razed though? Why would they be?
Who knows. But from what I read it said 1/3 of the land in Detroit is either abandon or vacant.

Quote:
The Detroit Data Collaborative's block-by-block analysis of about 343,849 residential parcels found that about 64 percent contained occupied housing, nearly 10 percent had vacant homes and more than 26 percent were empty lots.

The survey conducted in August and September found 219,511 occupied homes, 33,529 vacant homes and 91,488 vacant lots. It also said 86 percent of homes appeared to be in good condition, while another 9 percent needed minor repairs.

There is a large amount of empty housing and vacant land in several neighborhoods closer to the city's center and to the north of Hamtramck and Highland Park, while parts of the far east and northwest sides were among the areas with better housing. In pockets, some neighborhoods had no vacant homes.
Survey: A third of all Detroit lots are vacant or abandoned | MLive.com

What I quoted was basically the point I was trying to make. The blight isn't exactly spread evenly throughout the city. The neighborhoods close to the core is by far where the largest amount of blight is. You ever drove down Chene st between Gratiot and 94? or the area around there? (I swear that area reminds me of the northside of Kalamazoo) they have more vacant land on one block than entire neighborhoods in some areas.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
LOL she is the problem.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL she is the problem.
So she's not the best "spokesperson" in your opinion? Maybe so.
She's "the problem" why? Style more important than substance in this case?
OK, she fits the old bitter white guy's stereotype useful for justifying one's disdain for big city urban residents - I get it.
I would be embarrassed to be so utterly predictable in my "conclusions" and posting them - really.
You might try explaining why "she is the problem". Go ahead.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 05-16-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Quote:
As far as I can tell my answer would be Palmer Woods and that whole area west of Woodward (Sherwood Forest, Green Acres), Rosedale Park, Midtown and downtown, and a few blocks adjacent to GPP, and as far as I can tell that is about it. Obviously there are streets here and there and a few developments like River Town but it seems to me the neighborhoods one could describe as even "ok" these days are nearly inifintisimle.

And let's be real, Palmer Wods might be ok but you step across Woodward and it looks like a war took place.

My point is the lady in the video has a point.
I agree wholeheartedly, she is obviously and visibly distraught and angry at the powers that be who DO sit up in their Ivory Towers collecting their checks and doing absolutely NOTHING for the disadvantaged who do struggle everyday to survive and make sense of their world and in those neighborhoods. They have been all but abandoned by their elected officials in every way imaginable.

And I don't want to hear how they created their situation because I know a lot of them just remain there because they have no place else to go to and can't afford to leave either.

She may not be a cool, young, white, and hip professional who speaks eloquently to Detroit's issues but she more than amply makes her point in fine style as far as I am concerned...straight to the point!

Good for Lady Melinda Brown and bless her for saying what needed to be said!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Thumbs down With all due respect, sincerely

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL she is the problem.
Really...she's the problem, are you sure about that? After all you live in Maryland so what exactly is it about Lady Melinda Brown that makes you believe that she, specifically, is the problem?

You said it, now define and defend your commentary, if you please.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere

Old 07-16-2023, 07:35 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,728 times
Sorry to bring back this thread from the graveyard but after a decade, it could be interesting to see where Melinda Brown Duncan is today and what she think of Gretchen Whitmer and Mike Duggan.

The original video is no more but the description of that clip is archived on the Wayback Machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20131221...?v=b5jIJW5BT0I and it's also reuploaded since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUMdPhLv5c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit