Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 05:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Chaldeans do not live in Hamtramck, there used to be a community and a church back in the 1950s - long gone. When they lived in Detroit, it was off 7 mile and Woodward, and they have all left that area too. They then moved to Oak Park and Southfield, and then migrations to Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Orchard Lake, Commerce on the West side, and Sterling Heights, Warren, and Shelby Township on the East side.
Chaldeans followed the Jewish Populations and Blacks from Detroit are following in same footprint. Meaning, Detroit to Oak Park, to Southfied, to West Bloomfield. All 3 groups have followed this trajectory.
Thank you that is interesting. A gal at work is Chaldean and said they have congregated in Hamtrammck and are a near majority. Perhaps she is wrong, pr maybe pulling my leg, but she seemed serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 05:49 PM

544 posts, read 900,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you that is interesting. A gal at work is Chaldean and said they have congregated in Hamtrammck and are a near majority. Perhaps she is wrong, pr maybe pulling my leg, but she seemed serious.
The couple of Chaldeans I know grew up in Highland Park and moved to Novi in the 80s.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:40 PM

61 posts, read 44,903 times
Default Surely,

They never said if it was Bloomfield or West Bloomfield on the sit-com but boy was it ever funny. Jill, Tim's wife, was a volunteer for the Bloomfield Library Board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I didn't know West Bloomfield was the specific setting for Home Improvement. I knew it was supposed to be Metro Detroit, but didn't think where. Interesting.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:08 PM

22 posts, read 21,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Michigan tends to be very group up. The prevalent groups change, but different areas become known as the go to place for specific groups and they end up with the population heavily weighted in favor of that group. Often it is an area more than a specific city or town. For example large numbers of Jewish people seem to have collected in the Birmingham, Franklin Bloomfield, troy area. It is noticeable when you are in the areas because the stores and Churches (or synagogue, mosque, temple etc) are common where they type is only rarely seen in other areas.

Hamtramck has a very large Chaldean population, maybe a majority now. Canton has a large Indian (India indian) population. West Bloomfield has a large Korean Population (not a majority though). Novi is heavily populated with Karens. Taylor has Okies and Kentucky/Tennessee-ians. Central downriver is heavily Polish and slavic (look in a local phone book). Ferndale is younger, woker and far more LGBTQA. . . than most other communities. Ann Arbor is blue hair central. Bloomfield hills is old money while Birmingham is new money. River rouge and Ecorse - heavily people with no money. Fenton is for farmers. Holland is heavily Dutch. Detroit and inkster have primarily Black populations. SW Detroit mostly Mixican/Hispanic.

I am sure there are more areas know for different types of people, and I did not include the areas and groups already discussed int his thread, but we are a very groupie place.

I am not talking about foreign born, but groups of people withthe same cultural heritage, or the same social postiion/views/ or the same econimic status. I have never seen a place so segregated in so many different ways.

Chaldeans are not in Hamtramck and never have been. Hamtramck has a large Yemeni pop. Chaldeans live in Oakland and Macomb counties. They mostly live in West Bloomfield and Sterling Heights.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:06 PM

445 posts, read 281,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by less than usual View Post
Houston also has the largest stretch of concrete paved stretch of highway on earth. Thirty seven lanes wide
going north south just outside George Bush Intercontinental Airport headed south towards Katy,Tx.
Google says you're mistaken (by 11 lanes). But it's still quite impressive.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:04 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy saleh View Post
Chaldeans are not in Hamtramck and never have been. Hamtramck has a large Yemeni pop. Chaldeans live in Oakland and Macomb counties. They mostly live in West Bloomfield and Sterling Heights.
I don't believe this is correct. See the excerpt from the Hamtramck Review on-line edition from 2012:

Quote:
The trick is, the way the census is constructed, people of Arabic descent fall under the “white” designation, even though their countries are in Asia. Hamtramck has a substantial Chaldean population (referring today, essentially, to those Catholic former Iraqis), and a growing Yemeni population.
Hamtramck’s Census shows an ever-changing face | Hamtramck Review

Anecdotally, I worked for the now-defunct Nino Salvaggio's grocery store in Farmington Hills in the summer of 2000, and 1/2 the workforce was Chaldean. A few of those guys lived in Hamtramck.

Old 10-25-2023, 01:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I don't believe this is correct. See the excerpt from the Hamtramck Review on-line edition from 2012:

Hamtramck’s Census shows an ever-changing face | Hamtramck Review

Anecdotally, I worked for the now-defunct Nino Salvaggio's grocery store in Farmington Hills in the summer of 2000, and 1/2 the workforce was Chaldean. A few of those guys lived in Hamtramck.

I work with a handful of Chaldeans. Most live in Hamtrammck, or their families do. They told me Hamtrammck is a Chaldean concentration area. A while back (2010 maybe?) I had heard that it was becoming heavily or primarily Chaldean, but I think things have changed again. More recently there was a lot of stink about them broadcasting the Muslim call to prayer every day over the City's PA system, so not Chaldean controlled anyway. I never heard what happened with the call to prayer controversy. I assume that they had to drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit