Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 11:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Although a few years old (2014) here is an interesting report/study on Metro Detroit's foreign born population.

https://globaldetroitmi.org/wp-conte...ar2014full.pdf

A lot of it I kinda already knew (Dearborn is where the highest concentration of Arabs is located, though they are spread out throughout the suburbs, Hamtramck has a dying Polish community, and has attracted many Muslin immigrants and refugees, Southwest Detroit is Mexicantown, and the sprawling upper middle class suburbs of Oakland and around Ann Arbor are home to a significant Asian minority) , though did learn some things I didn't know.

Anything else changed since in the past 9 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 08:31 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Novi has the largest Japanese population in Michigan. West Bloomfield (setting for sitcom Home Improvement) has the 3rd largest Japanese population in Michigan.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:42 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Novi has the largest Japanese population in Michigan. West Bloomfield (setting for sitcom Home Improvement) has the 3rd largest Japanese population in Michigan.
I didn't know West Bloomfield was the specific setting for Home Improvement. I knew it was supposed to be Metro Detroit, but didn't think where. Interesting.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:56 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What I found most surprising is that the immigrants are moving into the newer areas whereas in the past immigrants would move into the older areas. One exception would be Arabs moving into older Dearborn and Hamtramck. I guess this means the immigrants currently moving in are wealthier than they were in the past.

I was actually surprised my city (Eastpointe) didn't rank higher in immigration. I've seen more immigrants in recent years.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I didn't know West Bloomfield was the specific setting for Home Improvement. I knew it was supposed to be Metro Detroit, but didn't think where. Interesting.
I heard Tim's character mention the name in the show.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Michigan tends to be very group up. The prevalent groups change, but different areas become known as the go to place for specific groups and they end up with the population heavily weighted in favor of that group. Often it is an area more than a specific city or town. For example large numbers of Jewish people seem to have collected in the Birmingham, Franklin Bloomfield, troy area. It is noticeable when you are in the areas because the stores and Churches (or synagogue, mosque, temple etc) are common where they type is only rarely seen in other areas.

Hamtramck has a very large Chaldean population, maybe a majority now. Canton has a large Indian (India indian) population. West Bloomfield has a large Korean Population (not a majority though). Novi is heavily populated with Karens. Taylor has Okies and Kentucky/Tennessee-ians. Central downriver is heavily Polish and slavic (look in a local phone book). Ferndale is younger, woker and far more LGBTQA. . . than most other communities. Ann Arbor is blue hair central. Bloomfield hills is old money while Birmingham is new money. River rouge and Ecorse - heavily people with no money. Fenton is for farmers. Holland is heavily Dutch. Detroit and inkster have primarily Black populations. SW Detroit mostly Mixican/Hispanic.

I am sure there are more areas know for different types of people, and I did not include the areas and groups already discussed int his thread, but we are a very groupie place.

I am not talking about foreign born, but groups of people withthe same cultural heritage, or the same social postiion/views/ or the same econimic status. I have never seen a place so segregated in so many different ways.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-13-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-13-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Michigan tends to be very group up. The prevalent groups change, but different areas become known as the go to place for specific groups and they end up with the population heavily weighted in favor of that group. Often it is an area more than a specific city or town. For example large numbers of Jewish people seem to have collected in the Birmingham, Franklin Bloomfield, troy area. It is noticeable when you are in the areas because the stores and Churches (or synagogue, mosque, temple etc) are common where they type is only rarely seen in other areas.

Hamtramck has a very large Chaldean population, maybe a majority now. Canton has a large Indian (India indian) population. West Bloomfield has a large Korean Population (not a majority though). Novi is heavily populated with Karens. Taylor has Okies and Kentucky/Tennessee-ians. Central downriver is heavily Polish and slavic (look in a local phone book). Ferndale is younger, woker and far more LGBTQA. . . than most other communities. Ann Arbor is blue hair central. Bloomfield hills is old money while Birmingham is new money. River rouge and Ecorse - heavily people with no money. Fenton is for farmers. Holland is heavily Dutch. Detroit and inkster have primarily Black populations. SW Detroit mostly Mixican/Hispanic.

I am sure there are more areas know for different types of people, and I did not include the areas and groups already discussed int his thread, but we are a very groupie place.

I am not talking about foreign born, but groups of people withthe same cultural heritage, or the same social postiion/views/ or the same econimic status. I have never seen a place so segregated in so many different ways.
I'm not much of a "groupy" kind of person. Having grown up the kind of person that never really fit in anywhere, I also see myself as someone who never had the "stick to your own kind" mentality.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not much of a "groupy" kind of person. Having grown up the kind of person that never really fit in anywhere, I also see myself as someone who never had the "stick to your own kind" mentality.
Me Either. But Michigan tends to be this way.

I do into really have a type, since we are so blended. But we do live in an upscale area - because it is nice and we can afford to do so. Generally not because of the people who live here. however the types of people have an impact too. If this were a snobby or trendy type of person area, we likely would not have stayed here. So, we do have a preference. - Safe, nice, good public schools, pretty, historic, not snobby or elitist. That puts us into certain groupings. In the past "historic" and within our budget was pretty much our entire criteria. We were definitely fish out of water where we lived. However when we moved we added to our criteria and ended up in a place with many people who are a lot like us socially, economically, but not necessarily culturally. In Se Michigan, wherever you choose to live, you are likely to end up living in an area dominated by one type of people or another. That happens to some extent everywhere, but I have never seen it as dramatic and obvious as it is here.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:33 PM

61 posts, read 44,877 times
Quote:
Me Either. But Michigan tends to be this way.

In Se Michigan, wherever you choose to live, you are likely to end up living in an area dominated by one type of people or another. That happens to some extent everywhere, but I have never seen it as dramatic and obvious as it is here.
I think the Port Cities are where this separatist type trend began during the great wholesale European migration to the U.S. This, segregated by ethnicity type trend; made things far easier on non-english speaking immigrants. Within their own communities sprang hometown grocers, shoe repairmen etc.
Hell, Hammtramyk at one time had it's own monetary system( I saw examples displayed inside city hall) and the last I knew they still, had to have public school teachers proficient in 10 languages in order to educate the kids there.
New York is famous for Little Italy. Miami for Little Havana. Los Angeles for Chinatown. Houston is now the most ethnically diverse city in the country having surpassed New York City in the diversity of its' population.
Houston also has the largest stretch of concrete paved stretch of highway on earth. Thirty seven lanes wide
going north south just outside George Bush Intercontinental Airport headed south towards Katy,Tx. It is an amazing place with nearly as many toll booths, too. I never saw anything like it.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:

Chaldeans do not live in Hamtramck, there used to be a community and a church back in the 1950s - long gone. When they lived in Detroit, it was off 7 mile and Woodward, and they have all left that area too. They then moved to Oak Park and Southfield, and then migrations to Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Orchard Lake, Commerce on the West side, and Sterling Heights, Warren, and Shelby Township on the East side.
Chaldeans followed the Jewish Populations and Blacks from Detroit are following in same footprint. Meaning, Detroit to Oak Park, to Southfied, to West Bloomfield. All 3 groups have followed this trajectory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit