Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 01:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
old gardener, I did different variations. I tested before eating, immediately after eating, and 1 hour after eating, and then 2 hours after eating. What I found is that my average blood sugars are typically under 120 before a meal and after the 2 hour mark, at 1 hour, it may be 135 but it always falls back down at the 2 hour mark.

I do need help with my fasting bs...I can never get it below 100. Its 115-125. I am suspecting this is the reason why I was diagnosed as a prediabetic in the first place because of the morning glucose. Is there a way to bring it down? I realize I have more control of my bs during the day with the diet but at night its more complicated because I'm not eating. My doctor said although my morning bs is elevated is not high enough to be put on meds because it will probably lower my bs too much. If i can help it, I really dont want to be put on meds anyways since I want to do this through diet and exercise and I'm not having a problem anymore during the daytime, just in the morning after waking up.
That means the test at 1 hour is the relevant one for you, if you're trying to figure out what foods you can eat without raising your blood sugar a lot.

When you sleep in, assuming you ever get a chance to sleep in, is your fasting sugar lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:56 AM

586 posts, read 831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That means the test at 1 hour is the relevant one for you, if you're trying to figure out what foods you can eat without raising your blood sugar a lot.

When you sleep in, assuming you ever get a chance to sleep in, is your fasting sugar lower?
I've noticed a downwards trend with my fasting blood glucose. Hopefully it will get better since I am on a strict low carb diet. I am almost living off of the very low carb wheat wraps. They are only 3g in carbs. I've lost 2 lbs in 2 days, could be water weight or whatever, but at least I am losing some more weight. My fasting glucose before i started strictly on low carb was 125. Yesterday it ws 120, and today was 115. So it is going down by a few points each morning. Hoping tomorrow it will get down to 110 and so forth. I dont get a chance to sleep in, I wake up when my kids are up usually around 8 am. When I work, I wake up just before 6 am so during the weekdays I only get about 5 hours of sleep.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Remember that your liver produces glucose while you're asleep and fasting; your high morning sugar is not necessarily caused by what you ate the day before....

"High fasting blood sugar levels, particularly in the earlier years of type 2 diabetes, result from this hormonal imbalance that drives the production of glucose from the liver and less so from the muscles. Evening meals and snacks often get the blame for morning highs, but hormones are the likely cause."

How to Lower Morning Blood Sugar | Diabetic Living Online

Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
old gardener, I did different variations. I tested before eating, immediately after eating, and 1 hour after eating, and then 2 hours after eating. What I found is that my average blood sugars are typically under 120 before a meal and after the 2 hour mark, at 1 hour, it may be 135 but it always falls back down at the 2 hour mark.

I do need help with my fasting bs...I can never get it below 100. Its 115-125. I am suspecting this is the reason why I was diagnosed as a prediabetic in the first place because of the morning glucose. Is there a way to bring it down? I realize I have more control of my bs during the day with the diet but at night its more complicated because I'm not eating. My doctor said although my morning bs is elevated is not high enough to be put on meds because it will probably lower my bs too much. If i can help it, I really dont want to be put on meds anyways since I want to do this through diet and exercise and I'm not having a problem anymore during the daytime, just in the morning after waking up.
It's called the Dawn effect. The body releases hormones in the early morning to avoid a low blood sugar incident during your sleep period. Depending on your condition and a1c, a physician may allow for higher fasting blood glucose level (150-160 in the case of a relative who takes 2 Metformin daily but has normal a1c).

Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
jaminhealth
I think the reason you dont have diabetes is not because of your diet or all the pills and potions you take but you are just not genetically predisposed to diabetes.
You also have diabetes? You seem to be less and less the picture of health that you would like people to believe you are with all your supplementation.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You also have diabetes? You seem to be less and less the picture of health that you would like people to believe you are with all your supplementation.
People take drugs and supplements to manage long-term health conditions. The question isn't whether you're completely cured, but whether you have the metrics for these diseases under control and avoid the complications that occur from uncontrolled diabetes or other diseases.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Based on my own experience and research on this subject, I'd like to offer some additional suggestions.

1. Keep a record (spreadsheet) of your blood sugar readings. Have a comments column for any anomalous readings (foods eaten, exercise, sleep quality, stress, illness etc.)

In my spreadsheet, I keep track of daily fasting blood sugar levels (measure right after waking up and before eating/drinking anything. should record the exact time if you don't usually wake up at the same time).

Diabetes Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic

"A fasting blood sugar level less than 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it's 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, you have diabetes"

I also record blood sugar levels after 2 hours of eating (counted from the 1st bite) breakfast, lunch and dinner. I only measure this 2-hour level few times a week for a while mainly to figure out what food/drink trigger high blood sugar

Few years ago when I did intensive research on the subject, one doctor's website stated that the postprandial plasma glucose is the most important level and this should be measured 2-hour post meal.

>200 mg/dL: diabetic
>140mg/dL <200 mg/dL: prediabetic

Please note that the readings can vary from brand to brand if the meter/strip is not calibrated. Even when it is calibrated, you can different readings using different strips on the same meter (yes, I have tried to do this and found +- 5 units).

From my experience, there are many factors which can affect blood sugar level (especially the fasting blood sugar values): stress, quality of sleep, illness, medications etc. Few weeks ago, my blood sugar levels went up 20-30 units for a week after my flu shot!

2. Have a column in your blood sugar spreadsheet to record your activity/exercise levels the day before.

After keeping track of your blood sugar levels and daily exercises, you will find that there is a VERY STRONG CORRELATION between the two.

Regarding diet, I strongly agree with the recommendation to add more protein to your diet. I have also read that eating protein rich food at the same time with carb helps to slow down glucose absorption to your blood stream.

I was diagnosed of being marginally diabetic 3 years ago. My doctor told me that I had done everything right (had 'my plate' diet with whole grains, exercised >30 minutes daily, BMI at 18) and attributed the condition to genes.

I did not want to take medications (it's difficult for a diabetic pilot to maintain medical certificate) so I decided to improve my diet and exercise levels.

I modified the 'my plate' diet from 1/4 protein, 1/4 grains, 1/4 fruits, 1/4 vegetables to 1/3 protein, 1/3 vegetables, 1/6 grains and 1/6 fruits. In the summer, I consume more fruits but try to cut back even more in grains level (no white starches, white rice/bread and white potatoes). I should also note that low-fat products are usually loaded with sugar and if anything, fat is good for diabetic person. I drink whole milk, eat lots of cheese and butter. I also eat lots of nuts.

My physician brother recommended doing at least 45 minutes of exercise a day (walking, biking etc.). I also found that a combination of aerobic and strength training worked the best. Tone muscles are much better in burning calories and using blood glucose than flappy ones. I have tried to maintain at least 60 minutes of aerobic exercise a day and 20-30 minutes weight lifting every other day. I highly recommend to use a tracking device like fitbit to keep track of your daily activities. Steps and stair counts are great ways to make sure that you get enough exercises.

By keeping track of my blood sugar levels, changed my diet and upped my daily exercise level, I have managed to get down to pre-diabetic or marginally pre-diabetic in the last 2.5 years. A side benefit is that cutting back on carbs also helps to loose weight. I don't need to loose weight but lost 3 lbs after 3 months (down to 97lbs from 100lbs - 5' 2"). My doctor kind of scolded me for being skinny but my other physician brother told me that my weight was fine for a small frame person. I am quite healthy and very strong for a person of my age and weight level.

Good luck with your efforts.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
As Bella says Writing down blood sugar levels before and 2 hours after eating is good advice as it helps to focus on what makes blood sugar go high,in conjunction with a blood sugar reading chart a write down of all food intake really points out problem foods, yeah i know its a lot of writing but if you have high blood sugar readings and are probably overweight the days of dietary anarchy are over,personal dietary discipline has to now be an important factor. Writing it all down including weight also helps your doctor or dietician or endocrinologist address your particular problem with more focus.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:30 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Taking husband to doctor tonight, His blood sugars this past 5 days 350! He hasn't felt well. He is type 2 diabetic and I fear insulin in his future. He has to loose weight too. His eating habits have been slightly better last 2 weeks.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Taking husband to doctor tonight, His blood sugars this past 5 days 350! He hasn't felt well. He is type 2 diabetic and I fear insulin in his future. He has to loose weight too. His eating habits have been slightly better last 2 weeks.
Diabetes is a progressing disease,you can hold off the effects by proper diet and exercise but its still there, if hubby is not taking the disease seriously insulin will eventually need to be prescribed however it isnt something to be feared its just another medication to combat diabetes.
Long term blood sugar readings in the 350 range will produce devastating health issues,usually accompanies high blood pressure and high cholesterol and obesity resulting in high risk for stroke or heart attack.I'd recommend he get some diabetic and nutritional education through a local diabetic clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes