Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:43 PM

586 posts, read 836,834 times

Advertisements

So last time on here, I said I was diagnosed as a pre-diabetic. Since then, I have mostly watched what I ate, my diet consists of mostly veggies and fresh fruits, organic whole grains etc. Doc said since I am technically not considered a true diabetic at the time I was tested, I didnt need to check my bs 4x a day yet, just maintain a healthy diet, although he did give me a kit so I can check once in awhile.

This morning, I had breakfast at my mom's house. I had what she had, 2 pieces of organic 100% whole wheat toast, and whole eggs. I made absolute sure to check the nutrition value. I am no stranger to eggs, so I know they dont have much carbs probably less than 1%? The toasts were 20 grabs each, but had 3g of fiber so I was taught to subtract the fiber leaving a net carbs of 17g. Two pieces would = 34 grams of carbs. I only drank water. 2 hours later, I felt like checking my blood sugar and really given what I ate, I was considering it to be fine, but to my horror it was 229!!! I have another spare kit, so I checked again using that, 226!!! How in the world is this possible? I will definitely make an appointment to see my doc, but is there a valid explanation for this?

At 9:30 am that morning I ate a small bite (and I really mean small, I know what I'm dealing with here, so I wouldnt dare eat too much) of a granola bar, just enough for me to taste it. Can that really small bite raise my blood sugar that much? I didnt eat a whole bar, just a bite to get the taste.

I am devastated, and feel like all my effort to eat well is meaningless. I am supposed to PREVENT full blown diabetes, not trigger it. Really, just want to give up and let myself deteriorate but I look at my kids and conclude this mentality is irresponsible, but I really dont understand where I went wrong, at least this morning. Any inputs from long term diabetics? Thanks

Update: Its down to 178, 30 minutes after I last tested.

Last edited by conlainhothuong; 10-07-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 02:58 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,577,347 times
You don't say how long you have had the test strips and if they have been stored properly. Once you open the test strip bottle they are only good for 90 days. Did you wash your hands and dry them before doing the test? When removing a test strip from the container did you always quickly recap it?

Did you ever do a control solution test on one of the test strips to be sure the test strips are good?

Old 10-07-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
You don't say how long you have had the test strips and if they have been stored properly. Once you open the test strip bottle they are only good for 90 days. Did you wash your hands and dry them before doing the test? When removing a test strip from the container did you always quickly recap it?

Did you ever do a control solution test on one of the test strips to be sure the test strips are good?
Those test strips are practically brand new. I get one box of 50 ct per month, and those came home less than a month ago. Yes, I did wash my hands. Those test strips were just opened today, fresh out of the box. I washed my hands, and dried them but they were still a bit moist, does it have to be completely dry?

Old 10-07-2016, 03:12 PM

Now they are back up to 186? I havent even eaten anything since 11:25 am, which is over 2.5 hours ago. I give up on this, I just keep wasting my test strips. I've used 4 already. Btw, my hands were completely dry this time. I have been paranoid with this diabetes thing lately, the more paranoid I am, the healthier I try to eat, and only to get numbers like these thrown in my face? I'm gonna go bury my head in the pillow and sleep it off.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:20 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,577,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Those test strips are practically brand new. I get one box of 50 ct per month, and those came home less than a month ago. Yes, I did wash my hands. Those test strips were just opened today, fresh out of the box. I washed my hands, and dried them but they were still a bit moist, does it have to be completely dry?
Do you have some control solution to test this new batch of test strips? My instructions always recommend I test the batch with control solution and compare the results with the range listed on the bottle to be sure they are good. Also, if the bottle was stored improperly (by you or at the retailer- too hot or too cold) is another reason to test a strip with control solution.

Slightly moist hands should not be an issue. I am more inclined to check a test strip with control solution to be sure the test strips are good - before I panic about an unusual test strip result.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:41 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,876,959 times
If you are pre diabetic, fruits are off the menu. Refined carbs too. Get your carbs in fresh green veggies. Best diet is protein/veggies/water.

You have got to get those numbers under control.

I have a friend who was pre diabetic and did not want to go on drugs, so she eliminated all WHITE foods from her diet and in under 1 yr took of 85 lbs and is happy as a lark.

I'm not diabetic and don't want to be so with aging I watch my BS numbers like a hawk. I stopped bringing breads into my house probably 7 yrs ago. All bread/grains. No muffins/bagels etc...none of those. I'll cheat when I get a burger out but not at home and I'm home a lot.

We have an MD on the radio on weekends and when people call in saying they are pre diabetic, he says you are diabetic.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,262,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you are pre diabetic, fruits are off the menu. Refined carbs too. Get your carbs in fresh green veggies. Best diet is protein/veggies/water.

You have got to get those numbers under control.

I have a friend who was pre diabetic and did not want to go on drugs, so she eliminated all WHITE foods from her diet and in under 1 yr took of 85 lbs and is happy as a lark.

I'm not diabetic and don't want to be so with aging I watch my BS numbers like a hawk. I stopped bringing breads into my house probably 7 yrs ago. All bread/grains. No muffins/bagels etc...none of those. I'll cheat when I get a burger out but not at home and I'm home a lot.

We have an MD on the radio on weekends and when people call in saying they are pre diabetic, he says you are diabetic.
Seriously....STOP giving dietary advice on subjects you don't understand...

YOU aren't diabetic...

YOU aren't a health care professional...

YOU clearly don't know anything about dietary choices for diabetics......fruit is off the menu

Old 10-07-2016, 08:16 PM

I know enough about diabetes and have friends who deal with this disease. Please, can I say what I feel is good info.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,345,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seriously....STOP giving dietary advice on subjects you don't understand...

YOU aren't diabetic...

YOU aren't a health care professional...

YOU clearly don't know anything about dietary choices for diabetics......fruit is off the menu
What Jamin says is common sense.
Also fruit juices are off the table, especially orange juice, full of sugars, often 30%.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
What Jamin says is common sense.
Also fruit juices are off the table, especially orange juice, full of sugars, often 30%.
Most of those juices are loaded with sugars. My friend who deals with diabetes makes sure when she buys a fruit drink it's the lowest lowest sugar content. I've been around her long enough to know so much about diabetes and foods. She's been on every diabetic drug since I've known her which is over 10 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes