Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2022, 09:02 AM

398 posts, read 208,411 times

Advertisements

Worlds highest price too.

I resent I don't have the freedom to get 'caught out there' and just buy some insulin without the medical system hassle. I resent the sh*t out of that far more then the jacked up cost.

You cant get high on insulin or have any 'fun' with it like pain meds and other prescription drugs, so what the hell?

In Canada just walk in and buy any insulin, America jump through medical system hoops like your on probation or at the DMV and get ripped off.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-03-2022 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Language
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 09:11 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,320,945 times
There are some forms of insulin that are available OTC and less expensive. Try Walmart for less expensive insulin:

"Walmart announced the launch of the first-ever private brand analog insulin, which will revolutionize the access and affordability to diabetes care by offering customers a significant price savings without compromising quality. Available exclusively through Walmart’s private ReliOn brand, the new offering includes analog insulin vials ($72.88) and FlexPen® ($85.88). These products will save customers1 between 58% to 75% off the cash price of branded analog insulin products, which translates to a savings of up to $101 per branded vial or $251 per package of branded FlexPens®.

The new private label ReliOn™ NovoLog® Insulin (insulin aspart) injection, manufactured by Novo Nordisk, is available in Walmart pharmacies this week, and Sam’s Club pharmacies in mid-July across the United States. ReliOn™ NovoLog® is a rapid-acting insulin analog used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes. Customers will need a prescription in order to purchase the products and should always consult with their doctor regarding their diabetes management."

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...analog-insulin

There are also forms of insulin available OTC. This article is from 2015 but still contains good information.

"There are two types of human insulin available over the counter: one made by Eli Lilly and the other by Novo Nordisk. These versions of the medicine are older, and take longer to metabolize than some of the newer, prescription versions; they were created in the early 1980s, and the prices range from more than $200 a vial to as little as $25, depending on where you buy them.

Dr. Jorge Calles, an endocrinologist at MetroHealth, is alarmed to think that some people are self-medicating with any sort of insulin.

“It’s a very serious situation if they are selling it over the counter — without any control with a prescription, specifically,” Calles says."

https://khn.org/news/you-can-buy-ins...ut-should-you/

But before you self medicate, read the articles about OTC insulin.

"What to Know Before You Use OTC Insulin

As the price of insulin skyrockets, people turn to Walmart’s ReliOn and other over-the-counter insulin. Here’s what to know about how it’s different and how to talk about it with your provider."

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diabe...efore-you-buy/

Old 07-18-2022, 09:17 AM

629 posts, read 416,888 times
I am not too fond of the way they treat you like Charles Manson just for asking for a scrip for antibiotics either. I understand that some people abuse them. But me personally I won't even go to a doctor unless I'm in dire shape, so it's not like I want to pop them for every little sniffle. But they always seem to have this "I'll be the judge of what you need" sort of insecurity trip going on.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:10 AM

20,135 posts, read 16,227,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Worlds highest price too.

I resent I don't have the freedom to get 'caught out there' and just buy some insulin without the medical system hassle. I resent the sh*t out of that far more then the jacked up cost.

You cant get high on insulin or have any 'fun' with it like pain meds and other prescription drugs, so what the hell?

In Canada just walk in and buy any insulin, America jump through medical system hoops like your on f6cking probation or at the DMV and get ripped off.
Insulin usage can be deadly. Use it wrong and you can die by bottoming out your glucose levels. Use to happen all the time and when I was young I almost died a couple of times from too low blood sugar. It’s nothing to play around with.

However, you do have right to get OTC insulin and it runs as low as $25/vial at Walmart. It’s the old fashioned insulin and you have to be willing to follow a rather rigid eating schedule. You can’t just pick it up off the shelf because it must be refrigerated, plus you have to get old fashioned needles, which are controlled in some states in an effort to prevent actual illicit drug use.

When we were in Germany and I had my fancy new fangled pens my German neighbors only had the option of the old fashioned insulin. It took a couple years before they got the better stuff. We Americans pay for all the medical innovations, it’s why our prescription costs are so freaking high. Those innovations get shared to the rest of the world at a cheaper cost, just slightly later.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
I am not too fond of the way they treat you like Charles Manson just for asking for a scrip for antibiotics either. I understand that some people abuse them. But me personally I won't even go to a doctor unless I'm in dire shape, so it's not like I want to pop them for every little sniffle. But they always seem to have this "I'll be the judge of what you need" sort of insecurity trip going on.
Inappropriate, including unnecessary, use of antibiotics has led to drug resistant strains of bacteria. There is a greater public interest in controlling their use than there is a need for you to able to take antibiotics without seeing a doctor.

Plus, as a diabetic (and this is the Diabetic forum), you should be consulting with a doctor if you have an illness that would require an antibiotic anyway as they can interfere with food consumption and absorption.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,633,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Insulin usage can be deadly. Use it wrong and you can die by bottoming out your glucose levels. Use to happen all the time and when I was young I almost died a couple of times from too low blood sugar. It’s nothing to play around with.

However, you do have right to get OTC insulin and it runs as low as $25/vial at Walmart. It’s the old fashioned insulin and you have to be willing to follow a rather rigid eating schedule. You can’t just pick it up off the shelf because it must be refrigerated, plus you have to get old fashioned needles, which are controlled in some states in an effort to prevent actual illicit drug use.

When we were in Germany and I had my fancy new fangled pens my German neighbors only had the option of the old fashioned insulin. It took a couple years before they got the better stuff. We Americans pay for all the medical innovations, it’s why our prescription costs are so freaking high. Those innovations get shared to the rest of the world at a cheaper cost, just slightly later.
The first insulin pen, was made in 1985 by Novo Nordisk, a Danish company.

The discovery of insulin happened in Canada in 1922.

So " all " may be a bit of a stretch.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:31 PM

9,545 posts, read 16,580,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

All I know is I am very glad Insulin was invented, and I am really glad those pens were invented. The pens made Diabetes so much easier to live with. Now they need to work on the damn price of buying it, and all the other supplies to manage Diabetes.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

“All” is of course a bit of a stretch but American companies create around 50% of all new drugs per year.

Quote:
the US leads in the discovery of approved drugs, by a wide margin (118 out of the 252 drugs). Then Japan, the UK and Germany are about equal, in the low 20s each. Switzerland is in next at 13, France at 12, and then the rest of Europe put together adds up to 29. Canada and Australia put together add up to nearly 7, and the entire rest of the world (including China and India) is about 6.5, with most of that being Israel.
But, as far as the pens go, I only know I had them and my diabetic neighbors were told they weren’t eligible. The thing I learned in Germany was their medical care was cheaper but mine was better - and I was getting mine from a military base, not exactly known as bastions of quality medical care.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:37 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,238,315 times
I am a type 2 diabetic. I take Metformin and my blood sugar is well controlled. Insulin is for type 1 diabetics. Knowing the difference is important.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:42 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,234,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I am a type 2 diabetic. I take Metformin and my blood sugar is well controlled. Insulin is for type 1 diabetics. Knowing the difference is important.
Type 2 diabetics take insulin too.

It just depends on how much the disease has progressed. Having good control keeps the need for insulin at bay, but you too may need to take insulin some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes