Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
That's a first world problem if I ever heard one. When I'm watching what I'm eating for the sake of "dieting" I ignore what my brain tells me, and I listen to what my body tells me. I mean, that's why we're doing it, right, for your body? I'm not saying there aren't mental/emotional benefits of looking great, but that's a secondary benefit with the primary benefit being physical.

If there is something wrong with my brain because it thinks I want a macadamia choc-chip cookie, you have just discovered a new illness. What (especially a child!) would ever say no to a cookie!?
Adults whose metabolisms work properly, that's who. That's my whole point.

I'll put it this way, fighting the cravings is no way to live, when you can get rid of the cravings.

Oh yes, it absolutely can be done. All those hormones, all those neurons, you can do all kinds of things with them to make a change in your attitude toward food.

It worked for me. I made some changes in my patterns of eating and activity based on Dr. Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset (google it), and now, I only want food at meal times, so that's the only time I eat. I used to be hungry all the time, so it's very liberating.

First-world problem? Absolutely, that's the whole point. I'm not starving in Zimbabwe, so if I feel like I am, I don't eat 15 cookies, I ask, what the heck is missing in my life that I can't feel satiated? And I figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Do you mean add protein to what she is curretly eating or replace some items with protein?
well I would add it. Thats my opinion. I personally think if she adds protien she would not want as much of the other crap! When you eat protien and fat you tend to be more satisfied. You get off the insulin/blood sugar roll a coaster! So add it!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Adults whose metabolisms work properly, that's who. That's my whole point.

I'll put it this way, fighting the cravings is no way to live, when you can get rid of the cravings.

Oh yes, it absolutely can be done. All those hormones, all those neurons, you can do all kinds of things with them to make a change in your attitude toward food.

It worked for me. I made some changes in my patterns of eating and activity based on Dr. Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset (google it), and now, I only want food at meal times, so that's the only time I eat. I used to be hungry all the time, so it's very liberating.

First-world problem? Absolutely, that's the whole point. I'm not starving in Zimbabwe, so if I feel like I am, I don't eat 15 cookies, I ask, what the heck is missing in my life that I can't feel satiated? And I figure it out.
I guess we will just disagree, since my attitude towards food while dieting is just like yours and I didn't do a re-wire/reset, just mental conditioning I guess. I believe I have a normal metabolism (6'4", 199lbs, lightly active), and I still crave chocolate. I don't follow meal times anymore, just eat if I'm hungry, and only eat until i'm not hungry (not til i'm full). I guess my whole day is considered snacking to some people, with no "sit down meals" to speak of. I still get major cravings from time to time, and depending on what my goals are, I'll allow myself to go out and enjoy an enchilada. I guess you can't enjoy food as much as I can since you no longer crave things. I think our difference is that I live to eat, and you eat to live.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this may sound crazy to you but peanut butter in moderation is a good source of protien and fat. Turkey bacon, ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, even chicken soup is better than some other things. I think if you just add some protien in there you may be suprised that you may lose some weight. Good luck!!! Ohh and veggies especially green veggies are good!!
Agreed, peanut butter has gotten very expensive.
I used to practically live on fruit salads, made with cottage cheese, various fruits, raisins, nuts and honey. Very filling!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
As nice as I can put things here and I am no expert and CAN BE WRONG, but from my view I think the problem is a carb addiction. I mean look at the healthy choices the OP is asking for, oatmeal (carbs) and beans, which I know people think protien but it really is a carb. I think the problem is a real sugar/carb addiction. The only food the OP wants to eat healthy or not is carbs. Carbs = sugar / there is your addiction. I would go to the local library and find a book on sugar addiction. There are tons of them.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
I guess we will just disagree, since my attitude towards food while dieting is just like yours and I didn't do a re-wire/reset, just mental conditioning I guess. I believe I have a normal metabolism (6'4", 199lbs, lightly active), and I still crave chocolate. I don't follow meal times anymore, just eat if I'm hungry, and only eat until i'm not hungry (not til i'm full). I guess my whole day is considered snacking to some people, with no "sit down meals" to speak of. I still get major cravings from time to time, and depending on what my goals are, I'll allow myself to go out and enjoy an enchilada. I guess you can't enjoy food as much as I can since you no longer crave things. I think our difference is that I live to eat, and you eat to live.
If you wait until your hungry to eat, you will probably blow it. Eat something healthy to stave off the pangs, like an apple, pretzels, celery take more energy (calories) to digest than you get from it, but it is healthy and keeps your intestines moving. Do a dip in moderation, ranch, or p. butter, or refried beans. Train yourself, your body will respond. Do not buy junk food, if you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it. That's cakes, ice cream, potato chips and the like. Snack on granola, sunflower seeds.........
Then cook yourself a soup with lots of broth, veges, noodles and a little meat. Learn to use spices.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
To the person asking about saltines:

Having 2 crackers when you just need -something- in a hurry to get you over a hunger pang, is fine. Having half a sleeve of them - not fine. I have low blood sugar, and I get blood sugar drops when I'm hungry, and I get dizzy and can pass out. I keep a package of saltines (they come in 2-packs you steal from restaurants, heh - or oyster crackers, same thing), and a couple of peppermint candies on me at all times. So I know that hunger feeling you mean, and it -is- a blood sugar drop. But just 2 saltines is all you need, not a half a sleeve. Eat slowly, break off a thumb-knuckle's worth at a time and nibble til the 2 crackers are gone.

To the OP about the meat issue: a pound of lean (85%) ground beef here in Connecticut is $3.99 on sale. That's $1.00 for a quarter pound of meat. That pound, with a half cup of bread crumbs soggy in a splash of whole milk, one crushed minced clove of garlic, and one medium sized egg, and a pinch of crushed oregano leaves, will yield 8 golf-ball sized meatballs. You can nuke them (yes, I said nuke meatballs - it's perfectly tasty and I do it every Monday) the beginning of the week. Add two to your supper today, and refrigerate the other 6. Eat 2 each day, and you've got yourself four dinners worth of meatballs for only $5.00 (including the meat, one egg, garlic, milk, and breadcrumbs).

As for oatmeal, you don't have to choose between instant or steel cut. You can get quick-oats, and Piggly-Wiggly has its own brand for around $1.50 for a carton. That carton is whole oats, that have been milled smaller than regular oats so they'll mix easier with water for cooking. It will yield around 2 weeks worth of daily bowls of oatmeal. Recipe: 1/3 of a cup of quick oats, in a bowl. Cover with 2/3 of a cup of water. Nuke for 45 seconds. Take out of the microwave, give it a stir, and nuke again for around 45 more seconds or until it forms a huge HUGE bubble in the middle and looks like it's going to explode. Take it out of the microwave before it does that - add a splash of milk, a palmful of raisins, and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. Total cooking time: 1.5 minutes. Total prep time - an additional 30 seconds.

There is no reason why you can't eat more protein and fewer carbs. You are choosing poorly, and I and several other people are offering better options for you to not just lose weight, but get healthy.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure we even disagree, we're just at different points on the road. You had a normal metabolism, and I really wanted one, so I did what I had to do. When I tell an obese woman who grazes all day to give up snacking just to see if it works, you're not my intended audience -- you have a normal metabolism, she has a deranged one. You can handle snacks, so you make them work for you.

I guess you could say I "crave" a juicy steak at 6 p.m. every evening, and that's often what I have. All I'm saying is at 8 p.m., I don't want another one. Or a piece of chicken. Or a handful of almonds. Or a banana. Or anything. Oh, I eat. You should see my breakfasts. I just don't snack, and I'm in no hurry to start again. For whatever reason, it made me look and feel like crap, and eating big meals makes me look and feel great.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is no reason why you can't eat more protein and fewer carbs. You are choosing poorly, and I and several other people are offering better options for you to not just lose weight, but get healthy.
Amen.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Not much more I can add here that hasnt already been said by everyone else. Especially Stevemorse and Anonchick who pretty much already said what I would have said.

OP definitely needs to change the diet though. Oh heck, let me make some suggestions:

Protein - chicken is a great source of protein and is affordable by just about everyone. I assume that Walmart has bags of frozen boneless chicken breasts, get that. I am not a cook and hate cooking, but I cook my chicken breasts either in the microwave (with rosemary, garlic powder, and cayanne pepper) or on the grill with same seasoning. Easy, fun, fast. Eat the chicken with brown rice and either raw spinach or broccoli.

Spagetti - You can eat the grilled/nuked chicken breast with whole grain spaghetti noodles as well with a green vegs.

Breakfast - tough because you dont eat eggs. I suggest oatmeal (NOT the packaged sweetened flavored kind) with almond slivers and a few (less than 7 craisins). Or, half a grapefruit and a small cup of cottage cheese with almond slivers and craisins.

Cardio. What EXACTLY are you doing for your cardio? Saying 45 minutes of jump rope, elliptical, treadmill isnt saying much at all. If you really do spend 45 minutes on say the elliptical or treadmill, what distance are you traveling? What is your intensity level? Remember, just going through the motions of doing "cardio" for "45 minutes" doesnt necessarily mean you will achieve results. My suggestion is take notice of the DISTANCE you go in EXACTLY 45 minutes. Then, next time try to go that EXACT same distance in LESS than 45 minutes. Do this over and over and over.

Also, what about resistance (i.e., WEIGHT) training?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss