Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Well, the diuretic was dropped weeks before I started the diet, and it never really worked anyway. I never had to get up in the middle of the night with the diuretic med. But once the diet commenced (and the B12 shot), frequency of urination increased markedly within the first 12-24 hours.
I'm not sure what you were eating before you got on this new diet, but if it was extremely high in salt and junky carbs it caused your body to retain water and simply removing those types of foods from your diet was enough to make you lose some of that water weight.

Maybe the B12 shot had something to do with it too but I don't think that's all it was.

You've made a lot of changes for the better - keep it up .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm not sure what you were eating before you got on this new diet, but if it was extremely high in salt and junky carbs it caused your body to retain water and simply removing those types of foods from your diet was enough to make you lose some of that water weight.
Cereal or fast food for breakfast. A big sandwich for lunch. Lots of bread, rice or pasta with dinner, that's for sure. Milk with lunch and dinner, fruit juice the rest of the day. Snacking on nuts or cheese at night with an alcoholic beverage ... right before bedtime.

Quote:
You've made a lot of changes for the better - keep it up .
Thanks much, same to you!

By the way, I'm finding that vinegar is widely recognized as an appetite suppressant. That's probably the reason for the basalic vinegar dressing and the apple cider vinegar in the water. So it could be vinegar keeping the hunger away rather than B12.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 01-22-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Cereal or fast food for breakfast. A big sandwich for lunch. Lots of bread, rice or pasta with dinner, that's for sure. Milk with lunch and dinner, fruit juice the rest of the day. Snacking on nuts or cheese at night with an alcoholic beverage ... right before bedtime.

Thanks much, same to you!

By the way, I'm finding that vinegar is widely recognized as an appetite suppressant. That's probably the reason for the basalic vinegar dressing and the apple cider vinegar in the water. So it could be vinegar keeping the hunger away rather than B12.
I prefer balsamic salad dressing, so good news that it might act as a hunger suppressant, too. I've never had apple cider vinegar in water before but I do seem to remember reading somewhere that apple cider vinegar is good for indigestion but I don't know if that's true or not or what other uses it might have. Next time I find myself hungry in between meals I might try a glass of that.

I've cut out my once a week wine, any nibbles of junk food (like popcorn), starchy side dishes (like potatoes), sweets, breads that sort of thing. I'm sticking to mainly veggies, (mostly) lean meat, fish, nuts, seeds, cheese, ricotta, eggs/egg whites. I started at the beginning of January and I've lost 6 or 7 pounds so far. Over the years I've learned how to cook lower carb so I don't really miss "normal" food because I really enjoy everything that I make. It can be a little time consuming to basically cook everything from scratch, though. But I'm starting to learn to plan and cook ahead so I'm not constantly standing at the stove.

My dh and kids still eat starchy side dishes so I'll often wind up making a separate low carb side dish (like mashed cauliflower) for me. And if I make something like chicken parmesan - I'll coat dh's chicken in bread crumbs but I don't put bread crumbs on mine. At first it was a lot to think about, but now it's becoming much more automatic and I've noticed that my kids are getting more and more into trying new veggies which is another plus of my veggie heavy diet.

At any rate, it's somewhat a pain but you wind up feeling so much better (younger more energy) that it's well worth it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I prefer balsamic salad dressing, so good news that it might act as a hunger suppressant, too. I've never had apple cider vinegar in water before but I do seem to remember reading somewhere that apple cider vinegar is good for indigestion but I don't know if that's true or not or what other uses it might have. Next time I find myself hungry in between meals I might try a glass of that.
I'm telling you .... last night I couldn't even finish my dinner. Just no appetite. Maybe I should cut back on the vinegar some.

Quote:
I've cut out my once a week wine, any nibbles of junk food (like popcorn), starchy side dishes (like potatoes), sweets, breads that sort of thing. I'm sticking to mainly veggies, (mostly) lean meat, fish, nuts, seeds, cheese, ricotta, eggs/egg whites. I started at the beginning of January and I've lost 6 or 7 pounds so far.
Sounds very sensible and balanced. And congratulations on the weight loss. I'm really looking forward to eating cheese again someday!

My daily weight loss is keeping me extremely motivated (down to 286 this morning). But I'm worried about the plateau they tell me is coming in a few weeks. Although my appetite is controlled, I can't say I've entirely lost my cravings.

Quote:
Over the years I've learned how to cook lower carb so I don't really miss "normal" food because I really enjoy everything that I make. It can be a little time consuming to basically cook everything from scratch, though. But I'm starting to learn to plan and cook ahead so I'm not constantly standing at the stove.
Yes ... doc told me I was going to have to learn how to cook, don't let anyone prepare food for me, and don't eat anyone else's food, etc. But right now my wife is enthused and cheering me along, so she and my daughter are cooking for me. She's got everything planned and portioned out in the frig several days in advance.

Quote:
My dh and kids still eat starchy side dishes so I'll often wind up making a separate low carb side dish (like mashed cauliflower) for me. And if I make something like chicken parmesan - I'll coat dh's chicken in bread crumbs but I don't put bread crumbs on mine. At first it was a lot to think about, but now it's becoming much more automatic and I've noticed that my kids are getting more and more into trying new veggies which is another plus of my veggie heavy diet.

At any rate, it's somewhat a pain but you wind up feeling so much better (younger more energy) that it's well worth it.
You know, it's tough enough just watching the family eat, it must be a lot harder cooking for them! I was making my family breakfast on Sunday mornings - eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, hashbrowns, etc. - but I have to give that up for now.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'm telling you .... last night I couldn't even finish my dinner. Just no appetite. Maybe I should cut back on the vinegar some.

Sounds very sensible and balanced. And congratulations on the weight loss. I'm really looking forward to eating cheese again someday!

You know, it's tough enough just watching the family eat, it must be a lot harder cooking for them! I was making my family breakfast on Sunday mornings - eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, hashbrowns, etc. - but I have to give that up for now.
Oh, I would hate to give up my cheese . But I do have to watch how much of it I'm eating because it's just so easy to go overboard with it. And by summer, I really don't (usually) have much cheese in my diet at all, come to think of it.

As far as cooking for the family goes, it isn't always easy and I do have my weak moments - but for the most part, I just don't think about it too much. I cook Sunday morning breakfast - sausage, eggs, bacon. My son cooks his own pancakes. And the other son toasts his own bagel. Dh has always been kind of blah about having carbs/sugar at breakfast, so I've never gotten into the habit of making any high carb dishes at breakfast time. Sometimes we'll have some berries.

For other meals, we eat pretty much the same thing except if they have a starchy side, I'll have an extra veggie. Sometimes they wind up eating the veggie, too.

Your diet is tighter than what I'm allowing myself. Hang in there - you're doing great with your weight loss!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Update - Turns out I am getting Vitamin B6 rather than B12 injections. Sorry about the misinformation. And I've lost 14 lbs in one week.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Attention Kmart Shoppers! B supplements do NOTHING for you if you are not already deficient in them. If you are into wasting money, having painful injections and are super susceptible to placebo effects by all means keep getting them.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 AM

With big changes in your diet resulting in very quick weight loss, the B6 vitamin is meant to help you feel better, not wiped out from the sudden changes.

I think that the dramatic weight loss can be attributed to adhereing to the new diet, cutting out alcohol consumption and possibly the change to more effective BP med(s).

If people could drop tons of weight just by getting a shot in the arse, no one would be overweight/obese - lol.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
The diet looks like a "VLC" diet made for those in danger of health issues. Let your doctor know of the loss so he can make sure it does not continue too quickly.

What you lost is a mix of water retention, food weight (your guts are emptying out) and some fat and muscle with a diet that low. The huge "woosh" number that a lot of people get comes from switching the diet type. The diet you were on before makes your body hold more water per type of calorie ingested. Also just having the food inside of you can add an easy 5 lbs.

You have to watch for liver,kidney damage and blood clots with long term B shots.

Everyone pees more when they start losing weight. I know I did. No shots or anything. I just depleted my glycogen from eating less and the water had to come out. When fat breaks down it is released through your urine.

So far it seems normal but do tell you doctor what happened this week. Too fast a loss is not good for the heart.
He may tell you to eat more or cut out the shots.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
With big changes in your diet resulting in very quick weight loss, the B6 vitamin is meant to help you feel better, not wiped out from the sudden changes.
I think so too. And it seems to be working.

Quote:
If people could drop tons of weight just by getting a shot in the arse, no one would be overweight/obese - lol.
Ain't it a crying shame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss