Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 01:46 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

When I was marooned in Tucson during COVID, my weight gain was due to the weed store being 8 blocks from where I lived. It's like a friend said to me years ago, Steve, I can afford the weed, but I can't afford the extra groceries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 01:50 PM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I lost 40 lbs the first 10 months of Covid, in 2020. I felt great. But then, menopause came and I gained lots of weight very fast. It's good that I lost 40 lbs before, otherwise I would be gigantic today.

I find it very very hard to lose weight right now. It took me more than a year to lose about 15 lbs in 2022 and 2023. I'm in ketosis most of the time and still, I can't lose the extra weight. My diet is great but I need to increase the daily exercise. I got so lazy...as if I have no energy. At least not like in the past. I hate the extra weight. I'm doing my best to cut calories...I think I might be eating too much. Need to cut 200-300 cal./day. Probably this can be done with daily exercise.

Not fun.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:52 AM

11 posts, read 10,103 times
Thank you for all the great responses, I know it is my fault, but here are some numbers for you and you might see why exercise is becoming a lot harder to do.

I am 5.3 and was 9.5 st which is about 130lbs.

3 years later i am still 5.3 hehe, but here the shocking bit now i am 16.5 st look like about 230lbs ( and that was 2 month ago when i weight last)

Old 10-04-2023, 02:30 AM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
I gained 5-6 lbs in covid by being less active, diet pretty healthy. I find losing fat a bit of a yo yo esp. since I pt caregive and being around others can mess up my routine, but still trying to drop 5 lbs.

Have you done a check up ? Thyroid? My Dr. however says my subclinical thyroid accounts for 5 lbs really though.

You might want to post a food diary. That helps pinpoint what’s going on, including sleep, stress.

I eat my comfort foods but swap healthier ingredients, avoid sugar/ wheat( inflammatory and addictive)focus on fiber( 35 g) vegetables, protein grams- not high protein, just not inadequate protein, adequate sleep and water daily, plus try to exercise consistently-not so great.

But diet is more controllable for me than exercise, though I really see benefits from exercise like how my clothes feel.

Oh know food triggers- what leads to binging, and avoid keeping snacks in the house, eat whole, unprocessed foods. Be hydrated- I drink soothing teas- can be caffeinated or not, even chewing xylitol gum can distract from eating.

I would intermittent fast minimum 12-14-16 hrs. I’m a bit flexible.
Food prep so you don’t need to eat take out. Pre wash vegetables for snacking.

Last edited by Ghobi; 10-04-2023 at 03:09 AM..

Old 10-04-2023, 02:48 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
My next door neighbor and I walked for an hour every morning through COVID. I can't overstate how much the physical, social and emotional benefits of getting outside for regular exercise with a buddy helped us through that difficult time.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:40 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuk View Post
I hope this finds you well. I wanted to reach out and ask for some advice or insight regarding a concern I've been having recently.

Since the start of the COVID pandemic, I've noticed that I've gained quite a bit of weight. It's been quite challenging for me to maintain a healthy lifestyle during these times, and I've found it increasingly difficult to manage my weight. In fact, it seems like I'm gaining weight at a faster rate now than ever before.

I was wondering if you have any knowledge or experience in this area. Do you think the weight gain will eventually slow down or even stop altogether? I've been feeling a bit discouraged, so any information or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter.

Take care and stay safe!
I normally maintain a perfect weight but gained 15 lbs while working as a Consultant for 6.5 months in Alabama. So I implemented a ketogenic diet and one meal a day (OMAD) when I got back 9 days ago and so far have lost 8.5 lbs of the 15 I gained. I expect to lose the other 6.5 lbs in the next 2 weeks.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:43 AM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Quote:
I am 5.3 and was 9.5 st which is about 130lbs.

3 years later i am still 5.3 hehe, but here the shocking bit now i am 16.5 st look like about 230lbs ( and that was 2 month ago when i weight last)
Oh, this is a lot of weight gain in 3 years. Are you on some type of medication? Something is not right here. Be careful. Maybe you need to talk to a doctor, just to be sure.

I had a period of time in my life when I was on some medication and I gained lots of weight really fast as a side effect. It was very depressing. I got rid of the extra weight at that time but it took me a lot of time to accomplish this. Especially if you are a feminine woman, with a small frame, it can be really depressing to get big fast.

Take care.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:15 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I gained the "Covid 19" in 2020 because of eating too much comfort food. But I made changes, and lost the weight, AND several more pounds.

Your best bet to lose it is to change the way you're eating.

Quit blaming Covid, it's your fork that's done the damage.
Ha. It's always that damn fork, isn't it.

I LOST weight during COVID. In early March 2020, just before everything shut down, I had gone to my endocrinologist for my six months checkup (I have a weird thyroid thing). I had gained weight hanging out in Ontario over the winter, drinking good Canadian beer and eating too much bread, and my a1c was up. Doc wanted to put me on metformin. I said, "NOOOO, please, let me try first with diet and exercise." He said OK, come back in four months.

Then the world stopped. I could not get back to Canada because the border closed, my part-time retirement job, which consisted to attending industry events where I shook hands, exchanged business cards, talked to people and ate with them, was done.

I started eating Mediterranean-ish, mostly fish and other lean protein, lots of vegetables, low dairy, low bread, didn't have alcoholic beverages daily. Walked a couple of miles a day. I went back to the doc 22 pounds lighter. By the time Canada made an exemption for committed partners in October of that year, I was down 27.

Gained some back over that marvelous winter and the tragedy in my life that followed, but now I am back to doing what I did before. It seems to be coming off more slowly, maybe because I am three years older but it's coming off.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
I've been less active these days and have been working from home a lot. The convenience of having snacks readily available, coupled with the comfort of stretchy clothing, has definitely made it easier for me to indulge in snacking

I used to think that exercise was a breeze, but now I find that even light exercise can be quite challenging. It's been a wake-up call for me. love to get back to me pre covid weight
It sounds like you've answered your own questions, and come up with your own solutions.

The pandemic hasn't been a pandemic for quite awhile now, and most of the country opened up two years ago. You've had two years to get back to normal and you've chosen not to do that. So you don't exercise, which you know you should do. You shouldn't snack so much, which you know you shouldn't do. You shouldn't rely on clothes stretching to justify your weight gain, which you know you shouldn't do.

So - stop snacking, get exercise, and stop using stretchy clothing as an excuse to gain weight.

Problem solved.

Old 10-06-2023, 02:02 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha. It's always that damn fork, isn't it.
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting rid of all my silverware, and just eating with my fingers from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss