Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 09:50 AM

19,987 posts, read 18,286,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have noticed coffee prices have become ridiculous, not just at starbucks, but many people REALLY have gotten creative with coffe and buzz words like, cold brewed, micro brewed, blah blah...but people are paying for these. I don't even know the names of some coffees...but some of them are served in beer glasses and have this foam on top...looks just like a beer to me...

which brings me to alcohol. People rarely question the cost of a drink out a bar...people will order several $15+ alcoholic beverages in a night out a bar or restaurant...and that's not crazy too? lol. Alcohol has just become so normalized...no one ever seems to question the cost of it either...and let's not forgot the amount of problems and accidents it causes as well....I'm not anti alcohol, but it's just interesting how high prices on that seem to be ok...but people are horrified by a $5 iced coffee.

Cold brew isn't a buzzword it's a long standing coffee brewing style. Our Japanese friends have made cold brewed coffee since at least the 1600s.

The coffee you speak of with foam on top is probably Nitro cold press, again not a buzzword. Nitro beer has been around for more than 100 years, nitro coffee a lot less - probably first served in Austin 10 or 11 years ago. Nitro coffee does not taste like regular cold brew nor Japanese style iced coffee nor no ice quick chilled hot coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 10:58 AM

486 posts, read 417,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have noticed coffee prices have become ridiculous, not just at starbucks, but many people REALLY have gotten creative with coffee...

Coffee prices have risen dramatically in the last year (up 78% since Sep 2023), so much so that the BLS has taken coffee out of the Consumer Price Index. You count on the party in power to try and cook the books in an election year, but make no mistake, that sticker shock is real.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:37 AM

19,987 posts, read 18,286,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Coffee prices have risen dramatically in the last year (up 78% since Sep 2023), so much so that the BLS has taken coffee out of the Consumer Price Index. You count on the party in power to try and cook the books in an election year, but make no mistake, that sticker shock is real.
Certain size cans of ground coffee were removed not coffee per se.

The removal release says something like 100% ground coffee 13.1-20oz can.

Further, "coffee" is not up 78% since Sept. '23. Robusta beans are up very significantly over the last year and a half. Arabica beans, Starbucks FE sells only arabica derived coffee, are down over the last year.

Arabica
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CUSR0000SEFP01

Robusta
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PCOFFROBUSDM

Old 05-13-2024, 02:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 865,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i looked at what door dash gets for starbucks

regular coffee 3.75

most coffee drinks 6.15-7.15

Now, that is crazy. Is the coffee even still hot on delivery?

Old 05-13-2024, 02:18 PM

107,180 posts, read 109,534,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Now, that is crazy. Is the coffee even still hot on delivery?
likely not , i would never order it

Old 05-13-2024, 02:35 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Dutch Bros. does have some attractive young women, but also some more average looking, and men. Yesterday it was a guy about 22-24 that served us at the window. All of their people are both friendly and enthusiastic, like they really enjoy the work. Their franchises are only granted to existing employees.
Yes, I believe that Dutch Bros is successfully copying the Chick-fil A service model. Friendly, attentive service with a smile, and attendants assisting you through the drive-up lines, which can be quite long at times at both places.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:44 PM

15,223 posts, read 10,393,633 times
I usually go to Starbucks once a year at Christmas when they have some special Creme Brule coffee but at home I usually prefer a cup of hot tea. Never loved coffee, it's just so bitter to me.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:22 AM

4,052 posts, read 2,741,902 times
I used to be pretty regular about getting Starbucks, but I started cutting down years ago for weight loss purposes.

So Starbucks became a 'treat' thing for me.

But their hot drinks have started to seem watery and burnt over the years.

The final nail in Starbucks coffee for me was that Dutch Bros opened stores in my area, and quite frankly.....they're *much* better. So now they're my go-to for hot drinks. I will say this--I still save getting something from them as a treat, rather than a regular thing, but barring going *very* early in the day, they usually have pretty long lines. I haven't been seeing that at the Starbucks' lately. But I will also acknowledge that on my way to work, there are five Starbucks to pass by (and this is a six-mile drive). There's only the one Dutch Bros long that same route. That could have something to do with it.

Somebody got me a Starbucks the other day as a thank-you for something. It was a white chocolate mocha, and to be honest....it didn't have hardly any taste.

Old 05-14-2024, 03:48 PM

6,650 posts, read 4,367,942 times
I'm going to reopen this thread for now. Keep in mind comments should be related to the original post and appropriate for the Economics forum. Superfluous comments will be deleted.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:47 PM

13,129 posts, read 7,616,145 times
SB needs to speed up their service.
SB needs to round up/down to the nearest quarter or fifty cents, which includes tax.

I believe that Expresso's, coffee or teas, should always be in glass or ceramic cups. 2-Paper cups with a poly liner just has a different flavor. Local shops use ceramic-glass. European shops use glass-ceramics. One objection to SB is their litter that surrounds their stores.

I don't do sweeten coffees because of pre-diabetic 2 condition.

Fairly recently, SB said that you can bring your own mug. Need to re-investigate someday.

Still working on SB 2023 holiday bagged coffee (discount bin). Improved it by blending in chicory coffee.

Last edited by leastprime; 05-14-2024 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics