Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 09:59 AM

6,789 posts, read 9,337,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
The average American drives just under 15,000 miles per year, which works out to around 40 miles per day. The vast majority of those miles are "just up to the store" or "back and forth to work". Tesla has the road trip issue basically solved with their supercharger network, and EVs generally make better "around town" cars. There are fringe cases where they don't make sense, but for most people it's more of a psychological hangup than a real or practical one.
I like the idea of the vehicles that can do both, like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Its range on electric-only is fairly pathetic, but would be okay for that quick trip to the grocery store, etc. But, it also has a traditional gas engine, so it’s sort of a best of both worlds solution. And it doesn’t look crappy like most electric cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 10:02 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
tell me why exactly, I should trade in my highlander today, for ANY model tesla sold? what do I gain besides 0-60? what convenience do I gain and inconvenience I lose? why, in your opinion, should I spend MORE money? there has to be weenie in there or else the endeavor is useless......
If buying a new vehicle off a dealer's lot, something like a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt will cover 95% of people's driving needs with lower overall cost, with greater reliability and lower maintenance.

I think at this point that last 5% makes EVs a great second vehicle - or rather, a great first vehicle, responsible for around town trips and commuting, with a gasoline vehicle covering what's left.

In your case, you drive so many fewer miles than the average person that a vehicle with lower cost per mile likely makes no sense. You're not the target consumer, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I like the idea of the vehicles that can do both, like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Its range on electric-only is fairly pathetic, but would be okay for that quick trip to the grocery store, etc. But, it also has a traditional gas engine, so it’s sort of a best of both worlds solution. And it doesn’t look crappy like most electric cars!
I agree. I like the Volt a lot for that reason too. Useful hatchback, can cover a daily commute without ever burning gasoline, and can take long road trips. It has the operating costs of an EV without needing to have the massive battery.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:15 AM

10,828 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
If buying a new vehicle off a dealer's lot, something like a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt will cover 95% of people's driving needs with lower overall cost, with greater reliability and lower maintenance.

I think at this point that last 5% makes EVs a great second vehicle - or rather, a great first vehicle, responsible for around town trips and commuting, with a gasoline vehicle covering what's left.

In your case, you drive so many fewer miles than the average person that a vehicle with lower cost per mile likely makes no sense. You're not the target consumer, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

No I am EXACTLY the target audience for todays marketted EVs. college degreed professional who due to plague, now works from home and someday may go back into the office part time. This class makes the $$ to be able to afford the payment (both the model S and the highlander XLE start about the same).

If it got totalled today due to some drunk driver, with the insurance check in hand, why would a model S be a better choice than the highlander? why should I drive 45 miles to the tesla dealer than 4.5 to the toyota dealer? cmon, there HAS to be a compelling reason? a corolla would have covered 95% of peoples driving needs, for < 1/2 the cost....so thats not a reason....

Old 09-10-2021, 10:35 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
The answer is no. Sure everyone is interested in the novelty but the enjoyment of a sports car is rowing through gears and having power from the rear wheels making you feel one with car.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
tell me why exactly, I should trade in my highlander today, for ANY model tesla sold?

Do you think that Teslas are the only EV game in town?

And no one has said you need to trade in a gas car and go get an EV. BUT if you're already GOING to be buying a new/new to you car, you might as well look into them. You really need to try one, in the form factor you are most comfortable with, before making up your mind. Experience is better than mere opinion, always.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No I am EXACTLY the target audience for todays marketted EVs. college degreed professional who due to plague, now works from home and someday may go back into the office part time. This class makes the $$ to be able to afford the payment (both the model S and the highlander XLE start about the same).

If it got totalled today due to some drunk driver, with the insurance check in hand, why would a model S be a better choice than the highlander? why should I drive 45 miles to the tesla dealer than 4.5 to the toyota dealer? cmon, there HAS to be a compelling reason? a corolla would have covered 95% of peoples driving needs, for < 1/2 the cost....so thats not a reason....
You clearly think you are, but you are clearly not.

Tesla's next $25,000 vehicle will likely be a real Corolla competitor. Not much more out the door, lower cost of ownership, and covers basically the same driving needs. Granted, it isn't out yet.

As for choosing the Model S as your chosen alternative to a Toyota Highlander, I'm going to decline to engage with that.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:47 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,318,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The answer is no. Sure everyone is interested in the novelty but the enjoyment of a sports car is rowing through gears and having power from the rear wheels making you feel one with car.
If I had my Bolt's drivetrain in my MINI Cooper Roadster's body, it'd be perfect for me. And my 6 speed manual Roadster is every bit a sports car, even with wrong wheel drive:

It lives quite nicely in the driveway next to me EV daily driver. No "novelty," the EV is just a better, cheaper daily driver.

Let's liken this to horsemanship. How do you feel one with the horse you're riding? Is it shifting?

How about those fast indoor karts that are so much fun? Have you ever gone to one of those places? Massive fun in them and no shifting.

I still don't think that electric sports cars will help EV sales, simply because damn few people BUY sports cars of ANY sort. Good electric crossovers and trucks will do it. Simply because the operating costs are lower.

The electric Ford Lighting has a base price, in work truck form, CHEAPER than the similarly optioned F150 XLT work truck, and has way lower operating and fueling costs. That makes it PERFECT for fleet use, by people that don't care about driving enjoyment, but do care about the bottom line. And for landscapers, contractors, and the like, that have regular low speed routes and rarely do more than 90 miles in total per day, they will be the perfect customers for them. And when the fleet owners start buying them, then regular customers will see the benefits, as well.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post

The electric Ford Lighting has a base price, in work truck form, CHEAPER than the similarly optioned F150 XLT work truck, and has way lower operating and fueling costs. That makes it PERFECT for fleet use, by people that don't care about driving enjoyment, but do care about the bottom line. And for landscapers, contractors, and the like, that have regular low speed routes and rarely do more than 90 miles in total per day, they will be the perfect customers for them. And when the fleet owners start buying them, then regular customers will see the benefits, as well.
The company I work for plans to begin replacing all of their ICE work vans with electric Transits and Transit Connects when they become available. The math and use-case simply works.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:04 AM

10,828 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Do you think that Teslas are the only EV game in town?

And no one has said you need to trade in a gas car and go get an EV. BUT if you're already GOING to be buying a new/new to you car, you might as well look into them. You really need to try one, in the form factor you are most comfortable with, before making up your mind. Experience is better than mere opinion, always.
no sir. Im open to ANY game. I have been told the gas vehicle was days numbered since 1977. ( I was 3 years from my Jr license and it frightened me! my dad still had his GTO!)

Only this time they may be right and gas cars will be for the collectors and hobbyists. Aint technically you and I *already there*?

Think about it.

have not for at least 2 decades our playtoys been something older and worked on and the daily been something recent off the lot? I suspect you and I are more alike than different. we both got our last daily at the same time. we had different reasons/needs no?

I did do a comparo in some thread on the current e-tron vs highlander. I think the highlander is a wee bit bigger overall, but lets say it can work. and in my example I magically raised the e tron tow cap to match the highlander. I pointed out, the range and recharge issues on the road, add hours to my trip and route planning. its a yeah but...

now I am not in the market for no new vehicle for perhaps 5 years? the 8 year 100K mile platinum warranty on the highlander makes it their problem for that long so lets say in 2026 I reevaluate...I will still have the same basic needs, I want the size, AWD and comforts...that should be easy..I want the towing and non towing range of the highlander...thats gonna be a harder part. and I want 5 minute fast charge to 100% and no explosions or other thermal incidents. :-) thats gonna be the hardest part.

I have a square S15 coming that I have plans for in 2 years so that will cover the lebaron replacement...there will be nothing new in garage slot 2...and my old man project is not selected, at present a twin turbo coyote swap in a low mileage bosch mobile (panther) leads the affordable list....so while I could choose a number of ludicrous models to improve upon, think of this, imagine you are at a show or meet with a field full of modified tesli (et al) and I show up with a twin turbo coyote swap panther...where is everyone gonna flock to? all going "you did what????" no one is gonna care about 0-60. they are all gonna wanna ride with me. You know Im right ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles