Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 09:24 AM

10,867 posts, read 4,540,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
EV industry should concentrate on commercial / high use vehicles such as 24/7 taxis, police, delivery, .... That reduces overall emissions, brings reliability up, costs down, acceptance up.

IIRC, VW won Pikes Peak in an awd EV a few years ago, (smashing previous records) and Tesla started out with a sport coupe. So either could churn out a sport model if sales volume indicated it was worth it.

Would prefer EV / alternative propulsion would reach for the biggest pollution offenders, (commercial). Rather than the 20 min per day commuter.

Of course California CARB could put a carbon tax on the thousands of hours cars sit in Drive Thru lanes in a state that has perfectly good weather to walk 10 seconds for window / lobby service. CA thinks EV is the only solution. They are wrong.

You are using the JAVA argument and I get why that seems to work, BUT, .....the counter is: millions times a little, is now a lot.

an all day in use commercial vehicle EV will never work until the recharge is in minutes and the range equals or exceeds the ICE it is replacing.

the millions upon millions of non-plague workers sitting for an hour or more for the 20 minute slog is what you want to replace. The smog in LA is not from cars running closed loop at highway speeds, it is from them using idle strategies at 0mph. We knew since a series of tests in the 90s on the NJTP using a chrysler OBD1 LHS that at speed, closed loop, emission stuff was nearly undetectable. All the advances and technology since, have been focused on fast start/warm up etc. We now have it down to where the most HCs emitted lifetime from the car - are at fueling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 10:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Commercial Aircraft, rail, ships, tugs, garbage trucks, buses would be where I would place my emission efforts. Consider adding HHV rather than EV to the commercial short run vehicles.

Synthetic diesel fuel / jet-A equivalent would allow ICE workhorses to continue in service.

Conservative and transportation incentives (world average fuel costs) would be the quick solution. (Tomorrow).

For sport driving, I am plenty content with my 50+mpg vintage motorcycles, and 50 mpg GTDs for rainy days. Where I like to sport drive, there is little available charging infrastructure.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:14 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I can't speak for "most people", my own behavior is starkly different. Driving a light and underpowered car, I rarely fill the tank more than 1/4 full, because of fanaticism about minimizing weight. Gasoline is something like 6 pounds per gallon. Considering that I can tell difference in acceleration between an empty trunk and a trunk with 4-5 bags of groceries, every pound counts... literally. My daily driving regimen is short, but even so, there's a visit to the gas station every 2 days or so.
I've never heard of someone so payload conscious. What car do you drive, and how big is the gasoline tank?

You should get a heavy duty scooter with a 352 lbs maximum load capacity and a 25 mph top speed ($1400) . You can outfit it with bags to carry some groceries. It sounds like you go less than 5 miles one way to the grocery store.
https://i.shgcdn.com/46b476c8-017f-4...ality/lighter/

A full tank in my 60 liter tank carries ~100 pounds of gasoline. I can't imagine filling it up to only 25%.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-11-2021 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-11-2021, 01:20 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
No. Sport/sports cars no longer have high sales figures. They also depreciate a brick. Most that do have one, it is there second weekend vehicle. What is selling are mostly SUVs and trucks these days. Even Porsche knows this and thus relatively recently expanded their models to include SUVs.

Its the reason why I would target used small two seater sports cars as my primary commuter vehicle. Good gas mileage, 99% of the time I am the only passenger, leverage the depreciation to my advantage, and generally low mileage since they are only used on weekends.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To me it comes down to two things: Range and infrastructure.

Range: It's not a question of how far I drive to work during the week. It's a question of when I need it, I need it.

Infrastructure: With a gas vehicle I can pretty much go anywhere and stop anywhere to refuel and be back on the road in 15 minutes or less. Sure, someone will say "if you buy a Tesla, and if you plan your stops, and if you are going here, and if..." That's not the flexibility to go anywhere and stop anywhere. Plus if we really had a lot of EV's, then those few charging stations would be backed up for miles waiting to use them.

A good deal of that comes down to price. There are long range EVs that cover a lot of ground and that envelope keeps getting pushed. It would be pretty unsurprising for there to be at least one 500+ mile rated EV within a year of now and maybe 600+. However, those range figures are and will be pretty expensive for several years out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
EV industry should concentrate on commercial / high use vehicles such as 24/7 taxis, police, delivery, .... That reduces overall emissions, brings reliability up, costs down, acceptance up.

IIRC, VW won Pikes Peak in an awd EV a few years ago, (smashing previous records) and Tesla started out with a sport coupe. So either could churn out a sport model if sales volume indicated it was worth it.

Would prefer EV / alternative propulsion would reach for the biggest pollution offenders, (commercial). Rather than the 20 min per day commuter.

Of course California CARB could put a carbon tax on the thousands of hours cars sit in Drive Thru lanes in a state that has perfectly good weather to walk 10 seconds for window / lobby service. CA thinks EV is the only solution. They are wrong.

I don't think that's necessary or maybe the best way to move forward, because you aren't going to get the same pace of improvements and economies of scale by limiting use cases and there's no particular reason to do so. While raw supply costs for batteries have gone up by weight of the materials, battery improvements have moved far faster and thus have kept dollars per kWh of capacity plummeting even with the immense rise of usage and raw material costs over the last decade. Meanwhile, work continues on multiple heavy duty EV applications such as buses and trucks. Keeping this limited to a niche application for no discernible benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:22 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
A convertible that will seat 4 adults is great for taking the family and their gear to the beach, park, etc. You may start off with small kids, but they are relentless about growing.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:09 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
To me it comes down to two things: Range and infrastructure.

Range: It's not a question of how far I drive to work during the week. It's a question of when I need it, I need it.

Infrastructure: With a gas vehicle I can pretty much go anywhere and stop anywhere to refuel and be back on the road in 15 minutes or less. Sure, someone will say "if you buy a Tesla, and if you plan your stops, and if you are going here, and if..." That's not the flexibility to go anywhere and stop anywhere. Plus if we really had a lot of EV's, then those few charging stations would be backed up for miles waiting to use them.
Thank you, this is my sentiments. I am not opposed to EVs but I live out here where fuel stops are few and far between. Having to wait in line for a charge when now it is less than 10 minutes(accounting for potty breaks) is what I have become accustomed to.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
ever heard of 2 shoe pony??

Old 09-11-2021, 10:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I can't speak for "most people", my own behavior is starkly different. Driving a light and underpowered car, I rarely fill the tank more than 1/4 full, because of fanaticism about minimizing weight. Gasoline is something like 6 pounds per gallon. Considering that I can tell difference in acceleration between an empty trunk and a trunk with 4-5 bags of groceries, every pound counts... literally. My daily driving regimen is short, but even so, there's a visit to the gas station every 2 days or so.

As to the EV topic, if there were ready access to a charger that provided say 30 miles of range from a half-hour of charging-time, then that would be sufficient. My main objection to electric cars is that they're too heavy, first because of large batteries, and second because the type of car that gets electrified is more the family-vehicle sort, rather than the sporting sort. As I've posted repeatedly, I very much miss the original Tesla Roadster, though in all fairness even that car was pretty heavy (around 2800 lbs, whereas the Lotus which loosely inspired it was maybe 1900 pounds). For similar reasons, I am dismayed that electric motorcycle are so heavy. A 50 KW bike with 20 mile range, weighing 250 pounds, would be tremendous fun... but the market doesn't provide such a thing.
I understand what you are trying to say. Your driving is quite different than mine. I drive long distances, and seldom let the fuel in the tank drop to the "1/2-tank" mark, specially during the winter months.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:20 PM

8,501 posts, read 4,744,511 times
In short: no.

Small and sporty was a 90s thing, and for some reason that just doesn’t sell anymore. Plus people want jacked up things with faux toughness. So that alone almost precludes the premise from being a valid one.

Dig down another level, and you’ll find most enthusiasts just won’t endorse it. One might say they lack some viscerality, but IMHO having spent my youth carving canyons out in California, electric cars lack the aural cues a serious driver needs to judge speed into a turn such as engine sound, and physical ones such as knowing what gear you’re in. Electric power steering can be tuned quite well as Porsche has demonstrated, except they’re basically the only ones doing it...so as of today, the lack of good steering feel is a roadblock which shouldn’t be as insurmountable as the lack of good steering these days makes it seem. It therefore seems like it would be hard to drive an electric car at speed lacking those other cues. It would feel more like trying to hustle a muscle car along, gingerly navigating curves while relying on brute acceleration to make up for it. And that was only fun in muscle cars because of the delightful soundtrack.

No, if anything, electric seems suited to high-end luxury or more technical pursuits like off-roading, where the inherent refinement and ability to control individual wheel slip/grip, respectively, puts electrics ahead of traditional gasoline vehicles. It’s also primed for the sheeple to whom driving is merely a necessary evil, provided we do a re-work of our electrical infrastructure to allow fast charging to be delivered as widely as liquid fuels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles