Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 07:30 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I wasn't speaking about my climate only, I was referring to the US in general. No doubt the electric NGDVs will be sent to places like California and south Florida. They won't be suitable for anywhere in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, or Northeast.

And those e-Transits are left hand drive, so no good for running routes. They will be used for walking routes or parcel delivery. Why we couldn't get right hand drive versions, I have no idea.
I wasn't speaking about your climate only. I was talking about places like Fairbanks, Alaska (not in your region) or the hottest part of Death Valley in historic heatwaves (also not in your region and a different climate) which are *not* suitable for current electric delivery trucks.

No doubt electric NGDVs will be sent to places like California and South Florida and places in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

Don't know why they didn't get RHD vehicles. Ford does make them for RHD markets, though I doubt they have RHD production lines in the US though I suppose they could.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-20-2023 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 07:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
As I have stated elsewhere, I am not opposed to EVs. I just am waiting for the prices to come down and the range and availability of fast chargers to be better. For most of my driving around town, an EV would be okay. Not for going on long distance in areas that are very sparsely populated.

I think certain politicians will do like the current occupant and make oil more and more expensive and find other ways to push people into EVs.

Old 09-20-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
As I have stated elsewhere, I am not opposed to EVs. I just am waiting for the prices to come down and the range and availability of fast chargers to be better. For most of my driving around town, an EV would be okay. Not for going on long distance in areas that are very sparsely populated.

I think certain politicians will do like the current occupant and make oil more and more expensive and find other ways to push people into EVs.
Yea, waiting for EVs that fit your own needs and budget and for your area makes sense. Those play a large part in why EVs are less than 10% of market share right now especially since something like only half of US car-owning households have a pathway towards charging at home and having an EV or even a PHEV don't currently make sense for virtually anyone who does not have a pathway to charging at home.

Unfortunately, another part though is also some degree of misinformation or misunderstanding of how EVs work. You still have people chiming in about needing to spend $60K or $80K as a baseline for getting an EV, incredible fire risks, as in not credible in the context of current data and the risk relative to internal combustion engine vehicles, or that they need to spend hours at a fast charger in order to recharge all of which have either never been true or haven't been true for a long while at this point, but these beliefs still persist and the belief in these inaccurate statements in turn would make decisions on whether an EV is suitable for someone also inaccurate.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-20-2023 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-23-2023, 08:41 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
As I have stated elsewhere, I am not opposed to EVs. I just am waiting for the prices to come down and the range and availability of fast chargers to be better. For most of my driving around town, an EV would be okay. .
A recent issue of the Economist magazine has a story about the next generation of EV batteries, known as solid state Li-ion. They are expected to increase range up to 700+ miles and be rechargeable in 10 minutes. When could you buy a car so equipped? Around 2028. THAT would be a revolutionary development.

Old 09-24-2023, 10:25 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
A recent issue of the Economist magazine has a story about the next generation of EV batteries, known as solid state Li-ion. They are expected to increase range up to 700+ miles and be rechargeable in 10 minutes. When could you buy a car so equipped? Around 2028. THAT would be a revolutionary development.
Yep, there are a ton of industrial, government and academic researchers working on solid state batteries, with a feverish devotion.

There has been a lot of coverage devoted to the innovations, but so far, no one has come up with solid state batteries that are energy-dense, safe, reliable, economical, long-lived, reasonably priced, and can be made at scale. I do think they'll come on something in time that satisfies all the necessary criteria, but it's difficult to predict how much time - that's the nature of research.

Old 09-24-2023, 11:56 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Cost and infrastructure.

I'm okay running around the Bay Area as there's so many chargers, but I'm 50/50 with EA and EVGo. It's really annoying how unreliable they are. It just means you have to go 20 minutes out of your way and waste time on top of the time you're already wasting with an EV, but since there's chargers everywhere it's not like you need to call a flatbed to make it. For longer trips though where I'd be totally screwed if a charger isn't working, I don't take the EV. I have my gas car (admittedly not the best for long, boring freeway miles at all) or we'll take the girlfriends car. 700 miles would extend the radius from about 100 miles to 300 miles I'd take an EV.

Upside is I've used Tesla's Superchargers once. It's an admittedly not large sample size as the pilot locations are very few (there's one 6 miles form my house and the only other one in Northern California is in Cameron Park on the way to Tahoe). Once those open up more broadly in 2024, I'm optimistic. It's a bit of an unknown as obviously just because Tesla doesn't have the issues with Tesla vehicles doesn't mean they won't have issues with non-Tesla vehicles. Basically, have more range would of course be good (particularly if it doesn't cost 2-4x as the existing batteries to get it), but a reliable means of charging is arguably more important. Particularly cost. EVs are already very expensive. If it's going to add 30-40k to the cost of EVs to get 700 miles of range that's not going to work for most people.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:23 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Unfortunately nearly half of our political world is trying to convince its drones that everything negative about EVs is true. It takes literal seconds to figure out ones personal electric costs, yet we (owners) still have articles, youtube videos, and memes thrown in our face to “prove” otherwise.

We live in a broken political climate and EVs are a political football.
Sad but true. Ever since Elon Musk showed the world that he's independent/moderate and not a far-left extremist, the left-wing media has been denouncing EVs in general, and Teslas in particular.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:26 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
There has been talk about "solid state" batteries coming "soon"-for probably a decade or more. Toyota was trumpeting it at one point. And...still nothing. Not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:36 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
Quote:
That's when the tech is mature enough. Just think of any battery that can hold 700 miles of range would need to be double the capacity of current gen batteries. If they can get the density up but not add extra weight then great. But even after that they will need battery charger that can charge much higher rate than level 3 charging. That is very dangerous to have chargers that push that much electricity, I can't think of the cooling needed to keep the charger from overheating. It's not possible with current and existing wiring.

We have to think of electrical grid will need a major overhaul throughout the country to put that kind of load. Electricity is like water plumbing system. The more you use the more you need to pump into the system and the wiring has to be strong enough to withstand that amount of electrical pressure. Not keen on the new tech without new grid.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sad but true. Ever since Elon Musk showed the world that he's independent/moderate and not a far-left extremist, the left-wing media has been denouncing EVs in general, and Teslas in particular.

Huh, that's odd. Both around me in real life and on news article online, it's usually the most right-wing people and sources that are fervently against EVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles