Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:00 PM

334 posts, read 172,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
We have to think of electrical grid will need a major overhaul throughout the country to put that kind of load. Electricity is like water plumbing system. The more you use the more you need to pump into the system and the wiring has to be strong enough to withstand that amount of electrical pressure. Not keen on the new tech without new grid.
The worldwide grid, not just in the US, is basically held together with a duct tape and a shoestring (some people in the biz would agree), susceptible to heat, cold, solar flares, hacking, etc. It's a miracle it works at all. However, this has little to do with EVs. Even without them, simply scaling up to accommodate 'progress' and increase in power consumption is going up year after year.
The sales of BEVs will go sharply up, until we run out of people who own homes (convenient for charging), then it will probably slow down, unless there's a push to install chargers everywhere. It's easy to have an exponential growth in the beginning, as you are starting from zero. A little harder to maintain it, once the numbers are up. If I sell two units of something one year and four units the year after, it's an increase of 100%, but it's still just measly four units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:24 PM

11,502 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
The worldwide grid, not just in the US, is basically held together with a duct tape and a shoestring (some people in the biz would agree), susceptible to heat, cold, solar flares, hacking, etc. It's a miracle it works at all. However, this has little to do with EVs. Even without them, simply scaling up to accommodate 'progress' and increase in power consumption is going up year after year.
The sales of BEVs will go sharply up, until we run out of people who own homes (convenient for charging), then it will probably slow down, unless there's a push to install chargers everywhere. It's easy to have an exponential growth in the beginning, as you are starting from zero. A little harder to maintain it, once the numbers are up. If I sell two units of something one year and four units the year after, it's an increase of 100%, but it's still just measly four units.
I am getting old. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think my home would be full of electronic gadgets that either need to be charged regularly or just tap a lot of power.

Big screen TVs, PCs, tablets, phones, stereos, smart homes, microwave ovens, toaster ovens and a myriad of other electric kitchen appliances, AC going day and night, electric washers and dryers.

It doesn't end there. Nobody put up lights for Halloween back in the say. Nobody put up Christmas lights before Thanksgiving back in the say. Now you seem them up in October.

The current electrical demand without adding BEVs is astounding and is accelerating. I am just referring to the USA alone. Now add in the massive leap in electrical demand in China alone. The world is gong to need a breakthrough in fusion technology.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:53 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
USPS had a recent contract renewal for their entire fleet (24/7 vehicles again) and they didn't go with electric. Hmmm, I wonder why...
https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nati...es-by-2028.htm

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The United States Postal Service today announced that it expects to acquire at least 66,000 battery electric delivery vehicles as part of its 106,000 vehicle acquisition plan for deliveries between now and 2028. The vehicles purchased as part of this anticipated plan will begin to replace the Postal Service’s aging delivery fleet of over 220,000 vehicles.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sad but true. Ever since Elon Musk showed the world that he's independent/moderate and not a far-left extremist, the left-wing media has been denouncing EVs in general, and Teslas in particular.
Never heard of a left leaning source denouncing EV's. I've seen plenty from RW sources, including politicians on the right. Wait- especially politicians on the right.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:18 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
I found myself in need of a new car after being hit and we were also looking to get my wife a slightly larger vehicle as the kids are getting bigger, so we ended up getting an EV and a PHEV in the same week.

Grabbed a 2023 Model Y LR7 and a 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV. Really liking both so far.

Until I needed a car I was rather indifferent about EVs. Not really a huge climate person, but I was moved towards the Tesla because of the price and the savings that comes with home charging. After the tax incentives you could get a new Model Y for under $50k. There weren't many vehicles that size for that price and then the fact that I only pay the equivalent of about $0.43/gallon when you compare the MPG of my old vehicle to the Model Y is what sold me. My old vehicle was a 2013 GMC Sierra Denali and when I started to look at the current price of new trucks and given the MPG of them I immediately started looking for other options, which is when I started looking at the EVs.

The Sorento PHEV is perfect for my wife. It's much bigger than our Terrain, can fit 6 comfortably and a full charge has a range of about 35 miles which accommodates about 90% of her daily driving needs. We've had it for a month now and she's filled the 12 gallon tank up twice which involved a 430 mile roundtrip roadtrip to pick up the Tesla. We've spent $45 in gas and driven it 1100 miles and still have 2/3rds of a tank left. We spend about $0.60-$.80/day to top off the battery on the days she drives it. We considered waiting another year or so for the BEV options in that category coming out, but when I saw they were going to be starting at $58k and most didn't come with a rebate, I figured a trim level we'd want would be in the high $60s, low $70s and we got the Sorento PHEV for $39k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The lack of understanding, cost, and usability is directly tied to politics in my opinion.

Strictly on charging coats alone, anyone who still claims it costs more is either stupid, lazy, or intentionally misrepresenting. There’s no middle ground.
I think there are plenty of instances where if you can't charge at home it is not really much cheaper than gas. I average about 3.7 miles per kWh. A gallon of gas here costs $3.48 right now. If I strictly charged at a supercharger it would cost me $0.36/kWh. If I have a hybrid that gets 35 MPG I'm about break-even. Plenty of vehicles in the 30-50 MPG range out there nowadays for less than $45k. The real cost savings comes with home charging.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 09-25-2023 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2023, 03:00 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am getting old. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think my home would be full of electronic gadgets that either need to be charged regularly or just tap a lot of power.

Big screen TVs, PCs, tablets, phones, stereos, smart homes, microwave ovens, toaster ovens and a myriad of other electric kitchen appliances, AC going day and night, electric washers and dryers.

It doesn't end there. Nobody put up lights for Halloween back in the say. Nobody put up Christmas lights before Thanksgiving back in the say. Now you seem them up in October.

The current electrical demand without adding BEVs is astounding and is accelerating. I am just referring to the USA alone. Now add in the massive leap in electrical demand in China alone. The world is gong to need a breakthrough in fusion technology.
You are getting old.

In 2000, over 50% of those surveyed said they never intended to own a cell phone. EVs may be a similar case.

Cell phones didn’t have the same strange political baggage, but my guess is that mass adoption is getting much closer.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,238,204 times
The owner of two EVs and two turbodiesels, I can envision many multi-vehicle households finding huge benefits with just one EV. When we got our first one, an off-lease 2013 Fiat 500e w/20K miles for $7,300, we virtually stopped driving the 28mpg Lexus Rx400h. We ended up gifting the Lexus to my wife's sister and we did the math to realize that adding the sub-compact EV saved us 1,000 gallons of gasoline and 200 gallons of diesel per year. We used the EV for local errands and my wife's 44 mile commute to the office where she had free charging stations and got to use the toll-lanes for free.

We still have my old college car and my late-uncle's hunting truck but they only get used for special purposes like hauling, pulling my neighbor's stuck forklift, off-roading, etc.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
The owner of two EVs and two turbodiesels, I can envision many multi-vehicle households finding huge benefits with just one EV. When we got our first one, an off-lease 2013 Fiat 500e w/20K miles for $7,300, we virtually stopped driving the 28mpg Lexus Rx400h. We ended up gifting the Lexus to my wife's sister and we did the math to realize that adding the sub-compact EV saved us 1,000 gallons of gasoline and 200 gallons of diesel per year. We used the EV for local errands and my wife's 44 mile commute to the office where she had free charging stations and got to use the toll-lanes for free.

We still have my old college car and my late-uncle's hunting truck but they only get used for special purposes like hauling, pulling my neighbor's stuck forklift, off-roading, etc.
That would be us if we buy an EV. Local trips, commuting to work- the bulk of our driving. Keep the Chevy 2500 gasser to haul the truck camper around for vacations, hunting etc.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:35 PM

334 posts, read 172,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The article is from Dec. 2020
USPS 'intends', 'anticipates' and 'expects'.
Those are projections, but we'll see them when we see them.
This is from Feb. 2021:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ll-be-electric
Later, they changed it, but still it's only 1 out 5 that are going to be EVs. This is from March 2022:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ed-controversy

Old 09-25-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
The article is from Dec. 2020
USPS 'intends', 'anticipates' and 'expects'.
Those are projections, but we'll see them when we see them.
This is from Feb. 2021:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ll-be-electric
Later, they changed it, but still it's only 1 out 5 that are going to be EVs. This is from March 2022:
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ed-controversy
It's from Dec. 2022.

Right under the topline headline.

March 2023-

https://www.industryweek.com/the-eco...ord-a-contract

Quote:
The United States Postal Service announced yesterday that it will purchase 9,250 Ford E-Transits off the shelf as part of its plan to electrify its vehicle fleet.

The announcement, while not unexpected, is a departure from USPS’s original plan, announced in early 2021, to award Oshkosh Defense a contract to manufacture USPS vehicles, both gas-powered and electric.

Under the original contract, only 10% of these vehicles were designated electric, and 90% gas-powered.

Gas-Powered Pushback
Pushback from environmental organizations and some members of Congress gradually increased that percentage. The Inflation Reduction Act designated $3 billion for USPS electrification.

Now, USPS plans for 75% of new vehicles delivered by 2026 to be electric, and 100% of the vehicles delivered from 2027. Concerns about scaling up the number of electric vehicles so quickly pushed USPS to buy 21,000 "commercial off-the-shelf" EVs. It made that announcement in December 2022.

USPS plans to purchase at least 45,000 electric and 15,000 gas-powered vehicles from Oshkosh.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-25-2023 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles