Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 08:48 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

We have a Bolt and a Volt. They both fit our needs. We drive each one around 6-7k miles a year. I understand that no one vehicle meets everyone’s needs and I don’t think anyone should be “forced” into driving an EV.

Why should anyone care what someone else chooses to drive?

The Bolt is a 2019 that we bought used in 2021 for $19k, so not super expensive. I do wish more PHEVs with the range of the Volt could be manufactured. We do almost all of our driving on electric and there is gas if we need it, which is seldom. We have easily taken the Bolt to visit our son (140 miles each way). In general we don’t drive very long distances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 08:53 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I will not buy an EV in my (short) remaining lifetime. The trade-offs in the vehicles and charging infrastructure make it an unattractive option. I own one car with a performance V8 and another with a turbo-4 and have no desire to switch from them.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:06 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I'm not interested unless charging stations are as numerous as gas stations. Better range and shorter recharge times play into feasibility as well.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:12 AM

2,035 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I'm not interested unless charging stations are as numerous as gas stations. Better range and shorter recharge times play into feasibility as well.
There's a charging station 0 miles from my house: my house.

I know and fully appreciate not everyone has a living situation that supports this.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:13 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Its hard for me to say "ever".

For now, the purchase price, & insurance costs are both higher than I care to spend.

I do like the looks of the Rivian SUV though. The dual motor perf pack costs $90k.

Sell me a 2024 Rivian for $70k, & insure it for <$2k/yr, & I'm all in.

Old 11-05-2023, 09:14 AM

2,035 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its hard for me to say "ever".

For now, the purchase price, & insurance costs are both higher than I care to spend.

I do like the looks of the Rivian SUV though. The dual motor perf pack costs $90k.

Sell me a 2024 Rivian for $70k, & insure it for <$2k/yr, & I'm all in.
I get it but what similarly-equipped and capable ICE SUVs are you cross-shopping that are much cheaper?

Old 11-05-2023, 09:17 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
There's a charging station 0 miles from my house: my house.

I know and fully appreciate not everyone has a living situation that supports this.
Same, I couldn’t imagine caring about what another person chooses to drive. The frustration is that anti’s don’t assess their actual driving needs before rattling off all the tired reasons why EVs “don’t work”.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-05-2023, 09:29 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I can understand your reticence, but I have the viewpoint that, not unlike how personal computers have played out, there is no such thing as bug free and fully evolved. If one considers the tech of ICE vehicles "mature" then manufacturing recalls would be rare and notable. They aren't and will never be, as is true of EV products as well although that curve has dropped considerably in more recent examples of EV's.
But why have even ICE vehicles become more subject to recalls? Because they're no longer the basic, UN-COMPLICATED cars that they once were. As an example, when electronic ignition systems were introduced, there were reliability issues. And the problem was, and still is, for that matter, when an electronic ignition system fails, it's DEAD. The older, "breaker points" distributors would give you some notice, and the car would start to run rough, but not completely crap out, so you had some warning, and could schedule a tune-up. And as cars, ANY car, becomes more electronically controlled, the possibility for a total failure, become more pssible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'd buy one if they were less costly, had a much longer range, much faster charging with no wait options equal to pulling into a gas station today, weren't nearly as affected by the Cold, and didn't risk burning my house down should it catch fire while charging IN my garage.

So no, not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 11-05-2023, 10:02 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I am not ready to buy yet, but certainly never is way too strong for me. I need to watch my dollars plus when I retire I want to do a lot of rural towing - lonnnnng roadtrips towing a teardrop camper, so it'll probably be after I get that out of my system. If I were to guess, I'd say that I'll be ready in about 5 years, and the vehicles and charging networks will have progressed a good deal in that time too.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:00 AM

816 posts, read 445,536 times
Like everything else getting shoved down our throats, the government needs to be honest about how real or not EV's are to "saving the environment". I suspect very little if any at all. The damage in other ways offsets any assumed carbon footprint deductions.

Also, because of the limited battery life, there will be no "used car market" for those who cannot afford new... which is many of us.

Yea, I'm staying with my combustible engine. More reliable, longer lasting, more affordable.

That's where I stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles