Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times

Advertisements

Keep your eye on the eV inventories and Manfacturer viability.

EV is one of many solutions to transportation efficiencies.

Proabably good to have one around if you live urban or suburbia, drive <10k / yr, and can find one priced as economy / throw away car.

They won't meet everyone's need (that's fine).

There will be better alternatives for people who need long range, robust, repairable, dependable, versatile options.

No crime in EV's, where they are suitable. Maybe 30% of the USA market.

I have (2) enginner friends still driving first gen Prii. (1999.5 early release)

And friends still driving 1973 EV conversions. They live in town. (As do many Americans)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 01:40 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,541,093 times
Nope. Not me. But we are seniors and driving a 2009 Prius2.
We are however big users of public transportation at $1 fare, almost always on hybrid bus.

Old 11-05-2023, 01:45 PM

68 posts, read 55,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Why is this a problem?

EV batteries last a good 10 years and many are warrantied for that long.

How many people today keep a car more than 10 years? In fact, the average is 8 years. I will hear from a bunch on this forum hwo keep their car longer, but this forum does not represent America at large. Most people get cold feet driving a 10 year old car that could fail, and get rid of it on the used car market. Battery replacement costs could affect the used EV market, but that is a whole different discussion.

Funny how often EV detractors will cite the high cost of battery replacement, but never discuss how many ICE cars have had expensive transmission rebuilds, or head gasket problems, or timing chain problems that destroy the valve train, or throw a rod.

If you are going to talk about EV system failure, you should talke about failures to gas engines and conventional transmissions as well.
Not everyone buys new. A 10 year old ICE vehicle is barely broken in today, and if it had been properly maintained should give very few problems. An 8-10 year old used EV that's going to need a battery soon, well that doesn't sound like such a great deal.

At the prices most vehicles are going for today a new car is not in my budget!

Old 11-05-2023, 01:48 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,009,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Kia Telluride is much cheaper, & is the highest rated SUV ever by Consumer Reports....& it burns regular gas.
That's a really nice SUV, and delivers a lot for the money. But nobody cross shops that car with a Rivian.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
That's a really nice SUV, and delivers a lot for the money. But nobody cross shops that car with a Rivian.
If only Hyundai would have entered the USA with their Diesel SUV's (as planned) before Dieselgate.

Most places in the world you can get 35-40 mpg SUV's that last 300-500k miles. Very torquey for Mtns and towing. 500+ mile range. Can use several alternative fuels with no modifications required. 80% reduction in emissions while sipping minimal fuel.

Those could be part of the equation to get where we need to head.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,922,206 times
You can have my gasoline powered car when you can pry my cold dead fingers off the steering wheel.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:25 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,052,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Is it though? Computers go obsolete because of new programs that people want to use. A Commodore 64 running Pit Fall would still work perfectly fine today. So, analogy-wise, unless the roads became unusable by old cars somehow, they’d still work. Nothing inherent to later-model improvements makes earlier cars unusable or “obsolete”. Again, with the key being that the one you bought met your needs at the time of purchase.
I remember having a 3 year old PC clone in the late 1990s. Friends sent me Excel files I could not open because my Microsoft Excel version was not compatible with the files they were sending. The files were too big, because RAM memory had jumped in 2 years and the software developers were writing to take advantage of that increase in capacity of the latest PCs.

Don't tell me that a 3 year old computer was not obsolete. I was FORCED to purchase a new computer after just 3 years, or I would not have been able to transfer files between me and my friends.

Sure, the 3 year old clone worked just fine as a stand-alone stuck in time, but it was obsolete and incapable of accomodating then current PCs.

It was 2010 or 2012 before a workstation I purchased lasted several years because memory was so bountiful, it was impractical to keep leapfrogging it. I think I actually got 6 or 7 years out of that machine, before it finally had to little memory for a current system update. I was thrilled to get 7 years from a workstation.

So it took the computer industry about 30 years -- from 1981 to around 2010 -- before the technology became sufficiently stable that machines did not go obsolete in 3 years or so. Teck moved on to solid state storage and faster chips, but at least it FINALLY took 7 years for my machine to go obsolete -- after 30 years of computer ownership. My first was an Atari in 1982.

I could be off by 5 years. Mybe the industry stabilized around 2005 -- that is still 25 years before maturation. EVs have only been in existence for less than 15 years.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 11-05-2023 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 02:51 PM

11,590 posts, read 6,052,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Wannacracker View Post
Not everyone buys new. A 10 year old ICE vehicle is barely broken in today, and if it had been properly maintained should give very few problems. An 8-10 year old used EV that's going to need a battery soon, well that doesn't sound like such a great deal.

At the prices most vehicles are going for today a new car is not in my budget!
Nah, I call BS on that claim.

25% of all cars on the road are over 16 years old. That means that 75% of all cars have been retired and sent to the scrap yard by 16 years old. So at best, you are likely to get 6 years out of that used 10-year-old car. At worst, a lot less.

You might get some folks rebuilding the engine in their Ford or Chevy pick em up truck. Nobody fixes a broken Toyota or Honda. They are disposable appliances. People drive them till they break or dump them before 10 years.

Don't even get me started about car maintenance. About 45% of people scrimp on maintenance or neglect it completely. Then you have all the dupes who change their oil every 10,000 miles because their manual says they don't need to do it sooner (unless you read the fine print like frequent trips or extreme weather or dusty roads, which about 80% of people fall under. )

I am not buying it that your average 10 year old car is "just broken in". Some models of some brands when meticulously maintained, sure. Absolutely.

The vast majority of models being made today. Nope. Don't buy it.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:55 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,992,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I remember having a 3 year old PC clone in the late 1990s. Friends sent me Excel files I could not open because my Microsoft Excel version was not compatible with the files they were sending. The files were too big, because RAM memory had jumped in 2 years and the software developers were writing to take advantage of that increase in capacity of the latest PCs.

Don't tell me that a 3 year old computer was not obsolete. I was FORCED to purchase a new computer after just 3 years, or I would not have been able to transfer files between me and my friends.

Sure, the 3 year old clone worked just fine as a stand-alone stuck in time, but it was obsolete and incapable of accomodating then current PCs.

It was 2010 or 2012 before a workstation I purchased lasted several years because memory was so bountiful, it was impractical to keep leapfrogging it. I think I actually got 6 or 7 years out of that machine, before it finally had to little memory for a current system update. I was thrilled to get 7 years from a workstation.

So it took the computer industry about 30 years -- from 1981 to around 2010 -- before the technology became sufficiently stable that machines did not go obsolete in 3 years or so. Teck moved on to solid state storage and faster chips, but at least it FINALLY took 7 years for my machine to go obsolete -- after 30 years of computer ownership. My first was an Atari in 1982.

I could be off by 5 years. Mybe the industry stabilized around 2005 -- that is still 25 years before maturation. EVs have only been in existence for less than 15 years.
I’m not telling you your computer was not obsolete. I explained quite succinctly why computers are not a strong analogy to cars.

Never in the history of cars has a model stopped functioning AS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED because of a later generation model.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-05-2023, 03:56 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,992,119 times
112 miles today. 28kw, $3.92 cents. Filling up in my garage for tomorrow.

You can keep your gas cars. Done with that nonsense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles