Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 07:56 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
if the Teslas are sitting on a lot, or not used in a while, the battery is not preconditioning like it would be if it was driving to the charging station.

And this shows why EV owners have had the mantra (since the advent of modern EVs) of ABC "Always Be Charging." i.e. plugged in at home even if not using the car. That way the car can condition the battery off shore power so that it's always ready to be driving, and this sort of thing won't happen.

the part that I question are the reports of people pluggin in and hours later, nutting, they went from zero to zero.

why would the cold prevent ANY charge from happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 08:09 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That would be extremely frustrating. It did sound like it was an infrastructure issue.

In places that get extremely cold, an ICE backup is probably a good idea.

This EV criticism is legit but I personally haven't had an issue charging my Tesla in almost 4 years of ownership.
I’ve often said when prices come down I wouldn’t mind a small EV to commute but have my wife’s gas vehicle as an alternative

Old 01-16-2024, 08:10 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
the part that I question are the reports of people pluggin in and hours later, nutting, they went from zero to zero.

Temperature preconditioning of batteries from what I understand

Old 01-16-2024, 08:27 AM

7,734 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post

Do you understand the chemical reactions that occur inside a lithium battery during recharge and how temperature affects those chemical reactions?

Old 01-16-2024, 08:32 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Do you understand the chemical reactions that occur inside a lithium battery during recharge and how temperature affects those chemical reactions?
I think they are asking a question.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:55 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
These stories almost always involve people who didn't take care of the battery according to the manufacturer's specifications, either through ignorance or inattentiveness.

In the cold and snow - conditions we have right now - I leave it plugged in if I am not using it and turn on the heater a few minutes before leaving the house. This is why those who choose to own an EV should meet certain conditions, like access to home charging in particular, as has been stated by those of us who actually own them, innumerable times.

It gets just as cold where I live, though not as often, and I have never had this problem. Last year my car sat outside in the snow and single digit temps all weekend in upstate NY during hunting season. I ran an extension cord from the cabin. No issues at all.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-16-2024, 09:10 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

not specifically no, in general yes, but oft that requires the temps of liquid nitrogen cooling - this case included. chicago winter >> liquid nitrogen. IS this problem chemical? cuz it does not appear any other maker is reporting it - or as bad.

ETA: as I understand it, and tesla claims, when hooked up, the magical gizmos do measure ambient battery temp and the gizmos draw the (effectively limitless) current from the charger to warm the battery. The inside of the box should be t-shirt weather - or so they claim. IT might appear that THIS part is broken across the platform.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:48 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
This story is one sided as it fails to mention all of the ICE vehicles that didn't start during that storm. Many had dead 12V batteries or would not turn over due to the extreme cold.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:03 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8PJs View Post
if the Teslas are sitting on a lot, or not used in a while, the battery is not preconditioning like it would be if it was driving to the charging station.

And this shows why EV owners have had the mantra (since the advent of modern EVs) of ABC "Always Be Charging." i.e. plugged in at home even if not using the car. That way the car can condition the battery off shore power so that it's always ready to be driving, and this sort of thing won't happen.
Okay...tell that to the poor guy that flew back home to Chicago only to find his Tesla parked at the airport was dead forcing him to hire a tow truck and go searching for a working charging station.

Old 01-16-2024, 12:21 PM

1,283 posts, read 642,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
This story is one sided as it fails to mention all of the ICE vehicles that didn't start during that storm. Many had dead 12V batteries or would not turn over due to the extreme cold.
In which case you get a quick jump start and then carry on....to Walmart for a fresh battery for about $100..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles