Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 12:56 PM

19,081 posts, read 14,035,845 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile thousands of EV owners in that area with home charging enjoyed a massive convenience over gas cars. But the ICE’ers got their red meat story for the day so all is normal…

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 01:30 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,083,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Meanwhile thousands of EV owners in that area with home charging enjoyed a massive convenience over gas cars. But the ICE’ers got their red meat story for the day so all is normal…

Red meat?, we've been eating filet all month on these EV's being impractical.
Hybrids were a much more practical solution, and are selling much better.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:49 PM

421 posts, read 126,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Funny that when GM made the perfect PHEV (the Volt) to compete with the Prius, the right wing went into a tizzy calling it an "Obama car" and posted all sorts of articles denegrating it with bad math and spurious claims.

Now that platform is all they want all they want as it still uses gasoline and their oil company doners are demanding it.

Plug in hybrids are EVs with training wheels.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I couldn’t imagine having to get gas anymore, but whatever floats your boat. I prefer convenience. I have enough experience with the old way to know that convenient it is not.

Btw, filet sucks. I trade those away for more ribeyes on my quarterly cow pickup days. Here’s tonights dinner:
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago Winter: 1 - EVs: 0-img_1404.jpeg  

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-16-2024, 05:46 PM

569 posts, read 345,709 times
Some good discussion here on this Chicago drama and some background on what caused it.

Old 01-16-2024, 06:40 PM
Status: "I Choose Freedom Over Democracy!" (set 18 days ago)

1,364 posts, read 684,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn’t imagine having to get gas anymore, but whatever floats your boat. I prefer convenience. I have enough experience with the old way to know that convenient it is not.

Btw, filet sucks. I trade those away for more ribeyes on my quarterly cow pickup days. Here’s tonights dinner:
I envy you, I have to plan my whole week around the trip to the gas station and it's a real drag..

Old 01-16-2024, 06:55 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,901,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...obots-out-here

same story here. This is not an anti ev post. Question: why are they not charging? is there something wrong with something in a tesla that super juice in super cold makes no diff???? (I have gotten my dozer battery at 9v in sub zero to charge back up with a 2/6/10 unit so what gives?)
All I know is my Ring Cameras in below zero weather have much shorter battery life and in my case have gone off line past 3 nights when it was below zero. I am in Arizona for a while so I don't have to suffer with them.

Seems to me extreme cold and batteries don't mix.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:09 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Speed/efficiency of charging is probably at some optimum at ambient temps between, say, 40-90*F (I'm guessing) with little dif between 40* and 90*, but then falls off rapidly outside those ranges. It's a matter of physics & chemistry....If you're old enough to remember points & condenser ignitions (before HEI and then computerized/electronic ignitions), you'll remember your car was just as easy to start at 35* and anything warmer....but below 35* or so, it got harder and harder and nearly impossible in sub-zero weather.

This is just another example of the niche nature of EV use. If you live in Chicago, you best have a back up plan for when the weather isn't co-operating for your EV...People in Chicago don't rely on motorcycles, or people in Seattle on convertibles either for the same reasons.

OFF TOPIC CUT
You are somewhat correct about the temperature, not necessarily ambient temperature, but battery operating temperature. In the following video the host explains what happens to the battery temperature when you are driving an EV in cold weather, and also what happens if the battery is cold plus discharged blow 20 percent. In this case (discharged below the recommended minimum) rapid charging won't take place. I am assuming that a lot of people are trying to extend the EV's range in hope to make it to a charging station ahead, and by the time they arrive they have no choice but to wait inline for a long time. This in turn further discharges the battery.

I assume that in most cases (not all) this in not an infrastructure problem, but EV drivers who have no idea about what happens when trying to charge a cold battery that's is already discharged near or below 20% of its capacity.

Again: this video is intended to EV drivers and owners who are interested in learning about all EVs' batteries. The video host explains how the battery operates in relation to its temperature and state of charge, and what happens at the charging station. He also explains what you can do to warm the battery before arriving at the charging station, but that is a "last resort" for some EV's that don't have a "pre-heating feature before arriving to a charging station:

For EV drivers only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtHbxk44P7w&t=83s

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-16-2024 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-17-2024, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
I envy you, I have to plan my whole week around the trip to the gas station and it's a real drag..
I don’t expect you to get it. We’ve discussed these issues ad nauseam. Gassers are told EV’s are inconvenient, so that’s that. They can’t fathom the dynamic.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:00 AM

61,940 posts, read 87,554,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Apparently if you live in nice warm areas that don't get down to maybe below 20 or so, they work just fine.
They work just fine in Norway. (88% of all cars sold in Norway were electric cars)

Here's how they do it:
https://www.fastcompany.com/91011373...how-they-do-it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles