Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 03:46 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

-Ghost in the Shell
^Yesssss

I got into anime a little bit back in the 90s when I was a teenager.

~

OP - A good introduction for kids would be Sailor Moon for girls, Dragon Ball-Z for the boys. (TV series)

You have to be careful with the films, there's often alot of adult content/nudity. That's probably why a 40-year-old is still watching. hahah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 03:48 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
what is anime?
It is sexy grade school girls martial arts fighter cartoons. Grade school warriors stuff. Sailor Moon is the only one I can name but that is an example of anime.

Closest I can think of is the movie Kill Bill where Uma Thurman is fighting the school girl in bobby sox with the spiked ball on a chain. That kind of stuff.

That was a fun scene in Kill Bill and I suppose it was based on anime. I don't get the Japanese cartoon appeal at all, and while I liked that one scene as a movie one-off, I wouldn't enjoy watching movie after movie of that.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You were saying, Sand&Salt?

Jdawg, why does it matter to you what people in their 40s like? It's not harming you at all. If it makes them happy and doesn't detract from any of their responsibilities, what's the problem?

Like I mentioned upthread, I love Disney, and I'm almost 48. I've got plenty of people in my life who think it's silly, but I can love Disney and hit the parks as often as possible and still have a full time job making good money, all my bills paid, and have no debt (other than my car). I'm a kid at heart ... Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
Well it does kind of concern me bc these ppl come to my house & always want to watch it!

But i mean whatever, i was just wondering what the appeal is for a 40 something

Old 03-08-2022, 05:49 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You were saying, Sand&Salt?

Jdawg, why does it matter to you what people in their 40s like? It's not harming you at all. If it makes them happy and doesn't detract from any of their responsibilities, what's the problem?

Like I mentioned upthread, I love Disney, and I'm almost 48. I've got plenty of people in my life who think it's silly, but I can love Disney and hit the parks as often as possible and still have a full time job making good money, all my bills paid, and have no debt (other than my car). I'm a kid at heart ... Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well it does kind of concern me bc these ppl come to my house & always want to watch it!

But i mean whatever, i was just wondering what the appeal is for a 40 something

Now we're getting to the nitty gritty. Tell us more about people coming to YOUR house and wanting to watch anime. Why would anyone do that?

I mean, in what circumstances? This sounds less about anime, and more about people doing things in your home that aren't cool. Perhaps you need to work on setting boundaries.

That being the real issue, now I see why it was originally posted in non-romantic relationships. So go back over there and start a thread about how people come into your home and do things you don't want them to do, so we can all tell you to set better boundaries.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Now we're getting to the nitty gritty. Tell us more about people coming to YOUR house and wanting to watch anime. Why would anyone do that?

I mean, in what circumstances? This sounds less about anime, and more about people doing things in your home that aren't cool. Perhaps you need to work on setting boundaries.

That being the real issue, now I see why it was originally posted in non-romantic relationships. So go back over there and start a thread about how people come into your home and do things you don't want them to do, so we can all tell you to set better boundaries.
They always want to watch it bc theyre obsessed with it. Lol

Just think its a weird thing to be obsessed with @ 40 yrs old but what do I know

Old 03-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Just think its a weird thing to be obsessed with @ 40 yrs old but what do I know
I think it's weird that someone would come into your home and want to watch anime. I can't even envision how this could come about. When you have people in your home, they should be doing whatever it was you invited them over for.

I wouldn't be judging friends for their choice in entertainment, everyone is different. But I would be judging their inappropriate behavior of doing it while they are visiting at someone else's house.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
It all just looks like a speed racer cartoon to me.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:32 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
The best anime has the worst dubbing. And the characters start laughing for no reason.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:47 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Quote:

Is this your husband and his friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts