Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 05:53 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,733,015 times

Advertisements

Fargo. It has such a cult following, and I kept waiting for something profound or gut-punchy, but it never came.
Blockbusters. Once in a while there’s one which is entertaining, but they’re just not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 06:25 AM

1,216 posts, read 510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Titanic

How do you turn a horrific disaster like that into a cheating love story?

Totally off the mark.
And you have people running, swimming around in freezing N. Atlantic water on the ship. That freezing cold water is going to make you numb, shock, and totally impair one's ability to move/swim.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:35 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Any Star Wars movie made since Return of the Jedi.

Life of Pi

Gladiator

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Revenant

Manchester by the Sea

La La Land

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

Interstellar

Ford v. Ferrari

Almost any Marvel or other comic superhero movie

There are really too many to list. I can throw a dart at a list of movies made since 2005 and the odds are 50/50 I will hate it.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:26 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The only movie I've ever seen from the OP's list is Titanic. I absolutely loved that movie, in large part because I've been a fan of the Titanic (as in, the ship, and the disaster) for as long as I can remember; long before James Cameron ever thought of it. I loved the special effects of the film, and I loved that the depiction of the actual sinking was strikingly accurate to how it really happened. Granted, Jack and Rose competed for the title of Most Annoying Passenger, but I'll admit that Cameron used their story to show us scenes from more parts of the ship than anyone, except maybe the captain, would have ever gone.
I too liked the movie in spite of the lead characters, not because of them.
The scene with the musicians was touching (even if it didn't actually happen in real life),
the elderly Rose had her moments, and Hymn to the Sea from the soundtrack
was great.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:48 AM

116 posts, read 35,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, sending her home from the hospital covered in dried blood was really distracting. I guess they couldn't figure any other way to squeeze in a gratuitous scene of Emily Blunt showering. But as a hetero male, I appreciated the lengths they went to.

BTW I watched The Godfather on TCM the other night. Did not care for it, because it insists on itself.
I have to correct you. The lead actress in Gone Girl was Rosamund Pike. Emily Blunt probably would have done a better job with the character. The funny thing is that both actresses are British.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:51 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,594,923 times
Certainly there's films I don't like, but in terms of films people really like that I don't, the ringleader has to be Bridesmaids. I watched it. I hated it. For years people spoke of it as if it were amazing and I was simply bewildered as to how.

That's a whole different genre than great films that I couldn't stay awake for because there was no point in their length. (Lord of the Rings, Avatar)

Or stupid play conversions that didn't need to happen (Hitchhikers Guide, Rock Horror Picture Show)

But at this point I'm going into critiques and preferences. #1 nomination. Bridesmaids, may it get eaten in Jaws 6.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:45 PM

163 posts, read 102,158 times
Little Miss Sunshine

American Beauty

Old 04-18-2024, 04:50 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacsnlocks View Post
American Beauty
Heresy! That's one of my favs. Multiple people have mentioned La La Land, another one I very much like(d)

For me, it's anything superhero, anything fantasy, and Star Wars

Old 04-18-2024, 05:06 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Any superhero movie.
Bingo!

Old 04-18-2024, 05:08 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Fargo. It has such a cult following, and I kept waiting for something profound or gut-punchy, but it never came.
Loved it!

The sudden violence was shocking, the stupidity of the scheme followed by the inept characters made it great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts