Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 04:14 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,000,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
anything with Julia Roberts.

ick
I feel the same about Meg Ryan. She's an okay actress but it's the same "ah shucks" act & boyish character with her annoying baggy clothes in almost every movie. She's kinda like the female, rom-com Hugh Grant... another okay actor, but all his early rom-com roles were too similar.

Not fond of Nora Ephron movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 09:17 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I feel the same about Meg Ryan. She's an okay actress but it's the same "ah shucks" act & boyish character with her annoying baggy clothes in almost every movie. She's kinda like the female, rom-com Hugh Grant... another okay actor, but all his early rom-com roles were too similar.

Not fond of Nora Ephron movies.
I hear you. Both Meg and Hugh Grant only seem to succeed in roles where they play themselves. That's a classic Hollywood trap; audiences demand that you present them with the same character over and over (and you get well paid for doing so). When you try to break the mold, they punish you with low turnout.
Case in point: After a number of ultra-successful rom-coms, Meg Ryan decided to broaden her range and thought In The Cut was just the vehicle for doing so.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199626..._flmg_t_17_act

Turns out, her fan base had no intention of watching Meg act the role of a promiscuous neurotic. The film bombed, and Ms. Ryan was handed a solid rebuke. That's show biz.

BTW, you can add In The Cut to my list of stinkers. But I totally love Nora Ephron.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I hear you. Both Meg and Hugh Grant only seem to succeed in roles where they play themselves. That's a classic Hollywood trap; audiences demand that you present them with the same character over and over (and you get well paid for doing so). When you try to break the mold, they punish you with low turnout.

Case in point: After a number of ultra-successful rom-coms, Meg Ryan decided to broaden her range and thought In The Cut was just the vehicle for doing so.

BTW, you can add In The Cut to my list of stinkers. But I totally love Nora Ephron.
Yeah, I understand. That's why we have action movies with 5-6 sequels & way back when, actors weren't allowed to branch out from their TV personas, like Adam West or George Reeves.

Interestingly, I loved In the Cut, although it is dark, disturbing & gritty, so I have to be psyched up to see it. The cinematography is so different. It was a comeback of sorts for Mark Ruffalo who hadn't acted in 5-yrs as he'd had a brain tumor removed & thought his career might be over... Jane Campion talked him into the role, which apparently took a lot of talking.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
For me, they are in order:

1) Gone Girl

2) Baby Driver

3) The Gift - This is the film with Jason Bateman, Rebecca Hall, and Joel Edgerton.

4) Midsommar

5) Interstellar

6) Zero Dark Thirty

7) A Marriage Story

8) Titanic

9) The Goonies - My oldest daughter loves this movie.

10) The Danish Girl

That ending for Gone Girl will always be the most ludicrous ending for a film that I have ever watched. Can't believe that this film earned so much praise.

In terms of Titanic it was historically inaccurate and was just a lot of lazy nonsensical stereotypes, myths and falsehoods.

Sadly Hollywood history is every different to actual history, and is prone to just perpetuating lazy stereotypes and myths.

Titanic even upset relatives and descendants of the first officer William Murdoch, whose portrayal was extremely controversial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The Wolf of Wall Street. I wanted to walk out of the theater, but I was in the middle of the row.

For that matter, most any DiCaprio film.

Totally agree and the film just demonstrated how poor the US authorities were at closing down a simple Boiler Room scam, as well as dealing with blatant insider trading and share price manipulation.

Boiler Room Scam are nothing clever and are not very sophisticated, and Jordan Belfort didn't invent this type of fraud, which was common place for decades before Belfort, and in reality the US authorities should have nipped Belfort and his cronies activities in the bud.

The ending of the film, where a load of sycophantic morons are looking to Jordan Belfort as some kind of hero is also nauseating, as is the equally moronic and idiotic sell me this pen nonsense.

As for your sentiments regarding Leonardo DiCaprio, I totally agree, and whilst he's okay in a few films, he's hardly the greatest actor ever.

Last edited by Brave New World; Yesterday at 09:07 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I'm a native of Georgia, so I'm really put off by movies set in the South that emphasize the same tired (and misguided) stereotypes we've been dealing with for as long as there's been a Hollywood.

Sweet Home Alabama
A Time to Kill
ConAir
Urban Cowboy
Dukes of Hazzard
Deliverance
Ode to Billy Joe
The Ladykillers (worst performance by Ton Hanks EVER)
Midnight In The Garden
of Good and Evil

The original Ladykillers was a decent film and there was no need for the awful remake starring Tom Hanks.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The Wolf of Wall Street. I wanted to walk out of the theater, but I was in the middle of the row.

For that matter, most any DiCaprio film.
I liked the Wolf of Wall Street.

It fit the personality of DiCaprio perfectly.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I feel the same about Meg Ryan. She's an okay actress but it's the same "ah shucks" act & boyish character with her annoying baggy clothes in almost every movie.

LOL - I see those old movies and wish we still dressed like that. I loved 80's fashion and most everything I can remember Meg wearing in a movie. I want my shoulder pads back!

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
LOL - I see those old movies and wish we still dressed like that. I loved 80's fashion and most everything I can remember Meg wearing in a movie. I want my shoulder pads back!
That's funny. I recently found pics of me with that big, teased, Aqua-Net sprayed hair that was so stiff it was a weapon that could take out an eye. And, I remember having a couple of Norma Kamali dresses with shoulder pads so thick it looked like I had a bag of cement on each shoulder.

I like 60s styles... sleek lines, form fitting. Then again, my hip hugger, bell bottom jeans from the 70s were awesome as a kid, too.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I liked the high waisted bell bottoms, like San Francisco Riding Gear... and flipped up collars.

~sigh~

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
In answer to the OP question, most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts