Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 09:25 AM

116 posts, read 35,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Titanic was my first thought when I saw this thread title. Sooo loooong, and with a sappy romance running the plot. I watched it after it was released on video, after a friend of mine (a filmography student) declared it "the best movie ever made". For me it was a snoozefest. The only interesting part was watching the ship going down.

I have to add Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, et al. Anything in the 'fantasy' genre.
I forget to mention Boyhood as an honorable mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 09:59 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Titanic

How do you turn a horrific disaster like that into a cheating love story?

Totally off the mark.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:29 AM

14,466 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Of course we're supposed to gore someone else's sacred cow and not be upset when someone gores ours, right?

The only movie I can think of that I feel at odds with hubby about was a movie called "Dark City" that he used to try to watch. It had Kiefer Sutherland and William Hurt, who I normally like a lot, but Kiefer has the most irritating breathless delivery of his dialogue in the movie, I can't even stand to hear it. No idea what the movie is actually about. I can't get far enough in to it to know if I might like it.

This is the opening scene.... I can't get more than 19 seconds in before I had to cut it. I just hate it.

https://youtu.be/57Ms1KeI458

Old 04-17-2024, 10:35 AM

177 posts, read 94,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Of course we're supposed to gore someone else's sacred cow and not be upset when someone gores ours, right?

The only movie I can think of that I feel at odds with hubby about was a movie called "Dark City" that he used to try to watch. It had Kiefer Sutherland and William Hurt, who I normally like a lot, but Kiefer has the most irritating breathless delivery of his dialogue in the movie, I can't even stand to hear it. No idea what the movie is actually about. I can't get far enough in to it to know if I might like it.

This is the opening scene.... I can't get more than 19 seconds in before I had to cut it. I just hate it.

https://youtu.be/57Ms1KeI458
Oh dear. It's not that bad!

Old 04-17-2024, 10:35 AM

14,466 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce holbrook View Post
oh dear. It's not that bad!

Ha!

Old 04-17-2024, 11:13 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A female friend of mine did that re Pulp Fiction.
I saw that with my husband and sister in law. I was the only one who liked it go figure. As for Gone Girl, worst book I ever read and can't imagine the movie being any better especially with Ben Afleck in it.

The only movie I left was Exorcist. At that time I just wasn't able to handle it. Later watched on tv and laughed. I don't go to too many movie theatres. If I watch a movie on netflix or amazon that is bad it is so easy to just turn it off.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:53 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
All of the Best Picture Oscar winners for the past 20 years with only three exceptions: The King's Speech, Spotlight and Green Book.

Going back further, all the Marvel/DC movies* and the Star Wars movies -- although I would not say that I despised them, but just that I was "bored to sobs" by them.

*With only one exception, Ironman with Robert Downey, Jr. My husband "loves" all kinds of fantasy stuff, so I saw a lot of those before we came to an agreement that when one of those came out, he would see that one in one theater, while I would see something else in another theater.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:07 PM

116 posts, read 35,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
All of the Best Picture Oscar winners for the past 20 years with only three exceptions: The King's Speech, Spotlight and Green Book.

Going back further, all the Marvel/DC movies* and the Star Wars movies -- although I would not say that I despised them, but just that I was "bored to sobs" by them.

*With only one exception, Ironman with Robert Downey, Jr. My husband "loves" all kinds of fantasy stuff, so I saw a lot of those before we came to an agreement that when one of those came out, he would see that one in one theater, while I would see something else in another theater.
I would never allow my kids to watch Star Wars. Stuff is ridiculous.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:15 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
My late first wife absolutely loved Sweet Home Alabama.
I know, I know; so many people do, even Southerners. But we've been vilified so often in film history, it seems like our bill will never be paid. I mean, we're not all alcoholic Civil War re-enactors living in mobile homes. Please.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:26 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Titanic was my first thought when I saw this thread title. Sooo loooong, and with a sappy romance running the plot. I watched it after it was released on video, after a friend of mine (a filmography student) declared it "the best movie ever made". For me it was a snoozefest. The only interesting part was watching the ship going down.
My feeling as well. James Cameron always seems to go heavy on special effects, light on narrative. Avatar and The Abyss left me cold as well. I did enjoy Aliens and True Lies, but you can thank Sigourney Weaver and Jamie Lee Curtis for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts