Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM

206 posts, read 449,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
That SWAT (H.E.A.T.) team was created for a Captain to have something to do when the taxpayer $$$$$$ were flowing. They actually get called out two or three times a year...mostly for warrant service...
Naples has a SWAT team.

I know a lot of places got Homeland Security money and didn't even know what to do with it because the cities were so small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Just because you have money doesn't mean you have sense or taste.
I totally agree with this statement!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM

159 posts, read 461,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
Yeah....Fort Myers......the real ghetto.

When I was there a few weeks ago in downtown is was so bad...there were children playing in the park and thousands of people walking around, hanging out, having a good time. People were eating in restaurants. Can you believe that??? Out of control!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK PEOPLE.

Like anywhere, they're a few bad neighborhoods but to the people who compare it to the ghetto or who call it Fort Misery, you need to spend some time in a real city with real bad neighborhoods (Miami, Atlanta, Detroit, etc.) Spend a few days there and report back- the big bad ghetto streets of Fort Myers will suddenly look a bit tame.

All these ghetto names for Fort Myers is just a way for it to look much tougher than it really is, because somehow it makes some of the locals happy to think of there city being big and bad.

Let's compare, population wise, the amount of violent criminals residing in Miami and compare to the criminals in Fort Myers. I believe Miami wins hands-down.
I totally agree with you, while I have only been here a couple of weeks so I don't claim to be an expert, I have not seen one thing out of the way going on in Fort Myers. I love it here!!! I think alot of it has to do with the type of people you associate with and the areas in which you hang out. I feel really safe here and enjoy it everyday. Would I let my kids play out alone? No but it doesn't matter where we lived I wouldn't do that because you never know when a weirdo could be lurking around. I am so glad I went with my gut feeling and moved here even though there is so much negative on this forum about Fort Myers. I think any city is what you make of it and I'm glad we are here!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM

63 posts, read 195,346 times
City crime rates are determined by a term defined as: Per Capita. Which simply put, is a mathematical formula that compares the amount of crime in a given city (or statistical area) factored with that regions population. Thats why it is actually possible for a small city to have higher crime rates than a larger metro city. In response to the posters slamming SWAT teams in small cities (IE: Naples, FL), well your ignorance has prevailed!!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
I totally agree with you, while I have only been here a couple of weeks so I don't claim to be an expert, I have not seen one thing out of the way going on in Fort Myers. I love it here!!! I think alot of it has to do with the type of people you associate with and the areas in which you hang out. I feel really safe here and enjoy it everyday. Would I let my kids play out alone? No but it doesn't matter where we lived I wouldn't do that because you never know when a weirdo could be lurking around. I am so glad I went with my gut feeling and moved here even though there is so much negative on this forum about Fort Myers. I think any city is what you make of it and I'm glad we are here!!!
Me too Rainbow girl!

If you listened to all the negative posts you never ever would have done it! Its beautiful down here! There are so many wonderful places down here in SWFL, and your not that far really from many great outside things you can do. Doesn't it seem to you that there is a great hustle and bustle going on? Yeah the economy is tough - you can probably see that, but it is not near as dead, or as difficult as you would have expected from reading this thread everyday - right?!? Certain aspects are really struggling, while others are doing just fine.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
Naples has a SWAT team.
Maybe it's not the acronym for special weapons & tactics. After all, we have a lot of mosquitoes & flies in Florida.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:43 AM

159 posts, read 461,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Me too Rainbow girl!

If you listened to all the negative posts you never ever would have done it! Its beautiful down here! There are so many wonderful places down here in SWFL, and your not that far really from many great outside things you can do. Doesn't it seem to you that there is a great hustle and bustle going on? Yeah the economy is tough - you can probably see that, but it is not near as dead, or as difficult as you would have expected from reading this thread everyday - right?!? Certain aspects are really struggling, while others are doing just fine.
You're right Big House. The economy doesn't seem to be much worse than in Indiana although I haven't tried to go out and get a job since I already had one when I got here. Restaurants are full all the time! Wal-Mart is always packed so people have to have a little money! I don't know why people try to discourage people from coming here unless they just don't want to share?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 PM

206 posts, read 449,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnancy View Post
maybe it's not the acronym for special weapons & tactics. After all, we have a lot of mosquitoes & flies in florida. :d
lol

Old 11-13-2009, 01:01 PM

455 posts, read 978,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller2200 View Post
City crime rates are determined by a term defined as: Per Capita. Which simply put, is a mathematical formula that compares the amount of crime in a given city (or statistical area) factored with that regions population. Thats why it is actually possible for a small city to have higher crime rates than a larger metro city. In response to the posters slamming SWAT teams in small cities (IE: Naples, FL), well your ignorance has prevailed!!
Ignorance?

Shall we discuss, BY NAME...the stupid stunts performed by individual members of the HEAT team? You know...the stuff that never made it into the media? Some of us don't need an explanation of the CJIS UCR program. Naples has remarkably LOW UCR numbers and cannot justify a SWAT team.

You're showing your ignorance...typical LEO response to anyone who dares to question them. Stick to posting about Atlanta where you MIGHT know what you're talking about.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,005 times
I have read all 15 pages and Ft. Myers is just like any other city with crime. Maybe at one point in history crime was low in Ft, Myers, FL just like any other city. As the American political system continues to relaxed it's laws on crime, it will rise. Hey we use to hang people for stealing a horse, now they steal your car and nothing happens. I have lived in Washington, DC. Los Angeles, CA San Diego, CA and crime is ever present and will be until society changes it's laws, rules, social programs, etc...I have been in the 1968 Martin Luther King riots, The 1992 Rodney King Riots, I have been jumped in Los Angeles, I have had a stray bullet come through my window from two miles away in San Diego. You have to look for the good in any place you live, seek out the best spots. If your gonna freak out about crime in your neighborhood your always going to be uncomfortable, then you should not move there. There are thousands of small towns in America with populations under 20 or 15 thousand where you can sleep with both eyes shut. Just remember it could be worse, compare the USA to other parts of the world like the Middle East, Africa, North Korea, etc...Think about the crime in those places and Ft. Myers and other crime ridden American cities look like Disneyland. Arm yourself and learn how to use it, it's the (Second Amendment), protects an individual's right to possess a firearm. Make your place of living as secure as you can to protect yourself, (use technology) motion sensors, alarms, lighting and get a dog. Now go out and enjoy Ft. Myers and don't forget to find a organization to change the laws. Hey last time I drove across the California desert I witnessed the border fence going up, we have new border agents, get angry get something done beside complaining about it on this website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area