Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,876,906 times

Advertisements

I realize the Winn Dixie on Cape Coral parkway is not exactly the classiest place, but I stopped in there tonight to grab something and saw something I have seen there before...…..people shopping with a dog on a leash . These are not seeing eye dogs, they are probably not even one of those stupid "emotional support animals" that people can not function without, just a dog on a leash.

The one I saw tonight was with a somewhat scruffy guy, and the dog was a little scruffy himself. Aren't there Health Dept rules or something about animals where food is being sold ? A while back, I was in that same store, and there was another guy with a dog, and he wasn't paying attention to the dog who had his front paws up on the meat cooler and he was looking down at the meat !

I've never seen that in any other grocery store, ever, and is the reason I only stop in there occasionally, and then I only buy something that is in a can or box. Really disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,436,471 times
I have seen them in the outside eating sections of restaurants in upscale malls, RSW is like a doggie convention.

I noticed the age of the owners is way up there. Not sure if this is a snowbird thing or older folks trying to treat their pets like replacements for children grownand moves away or children they never had.

It does get silly, I agree.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:26 AM

390 posts, read 398,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Aren't there Health Dept rules or something about animals where food is being sold ?
Those people are breaking the law. Check out links below. Not even emotional support animals are allowed, only actual service dogs and stores can be cited. While I appreciate that people are not leaving their dogs in hot cars, I don't understand why they can't just leave the dog at home. I bet these same people who find it okay to bring their dog into the grocery store would go absolutely crazy and throw a fit if I were to bring my cat in and start my grocery shopping. I'm also not a fan of people letting their children put their dirty little hands on everything. Use some common sense and decency, people.

https://www.local10.com/news/local-1...grocery-stores

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...rts/857629002/

Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 PM

I am an absolute animal lover, have had numerous dogs and cats over the years, and have 3 cats now that are like family to me. But there is something very upsetting about dogs being in a store with food that we are going to eat. I am not sure why the management at this Winn Dixie store turns a blind eye to it happening, but every time I go in there, someone has a dog on a leash or in a cart (where other people are going to put their groceries ) and nothing is ever said to them by the store employees. It is almost like they are afraid to say anything to the people doing it.

I never see this happening at Publix, or even the Walmart grocery store I go to, just this one Winn Dixie store. Admittedly, it is not in the greatest section of the Cape, and not the cleanest store, but I still can not believe they let it happen. I'm surprised the Health Dept lets them get away with it too.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,431,546 times
I think I remember something about stores being allowed to asked two questions about an animal, one of which is if the animal was trained to perform a certain task. Other than that, they can get all jacked up with ADA compliance.

Since I can buy a Service Dog vest for any of my monsters, no store is going to risk bad press and a lawsuit about a dog in the store.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 AM

264 posts, read 340,077 times
This is happening everywhere. A couple years ago my husband and I were in our local WalMart and some jackwagon had his ugly, slobbering bulldog wandering through the grocery aisles. People are self-important, entitled brats who honestly believe the rules don't apply to them and their 'babies'.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,431,546 times
$25 dolla and you're good to go!

https://www.amazon.com/Service-Harne.../dp/B00BOA6ND8

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...rowing-problem

Quote:
The ADA regulations seem reasonable, but the devil is in the details. One problem is that the law stipulates a person claiming to have a service dog can only be asked two questions by, for example, the owner of a no-pets restaurant. The first is, “Does the dog provide a service?” The second is “What has the dog been trained to do?” This means that a person with a service dog cannot be asked what their disability is (I inadvertently violated the law when I asked the family in Savanah about their “service” dog). Nor can they be asked to provide any documentation attesting that their dog has been trained and certified as a service animal. Indeed, there is no federally recognized service animal certification program. Further, contrary to conventional wisdom, service animals do not need to have any kind of identification such as a vest.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM

390 posts, read 398,882 times
Emotional support animals don't need to be allowed in stores and I believe people trying to pass off just any dog as an "emotional support" animal is doing real harm to people that actually have a real need for a service or emotional support one because these regular dogs are generally not trained properly. What happens when your fake support animal bites someone? They have the right to sue you.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...ls/2569853002/

Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM

This "emotional support" animal thing has gotten way out of control. I used to occasionally eat at a Subway and there was a guy who would eat there in a wheelchair. He was filthy, and he had an equally filthy dog on a leash. He used to come into our work and steal stuff, until we had him trespassed.

Subway workers wanted him banned because of the dog, but their corporate office was afraid to do it because of legal ramifications. I don't know what happened to the guy and dog, but I haven't seen them around in a while.

I am not sure if Winn Dixie is similarly afraid to stop these people with dogs, or what, but shopping in there is like being in a 3rd world country.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I am not sure if Winn Dixie is similarly afraid to stop these people with dogs, or what, but shopping in there is like being in a 3rd world country.
Yes, retailers are afraid. I was informed by my corporate office to quit asking questions unless the animal had already caused a problem. They don't want the negative media attention, and people will complain to the media even if they are wrong because they are too stupid to realize their pet or ESA doesn't have the same rights as an actual svc animal. The only way it's going to stop is if enough customers notify the corporate offices and complain that the laws and policies are being ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area