Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I don't live in FL, but hope to someday VERY soon.

I'm sure there ARE places there you could live pretty cheap, but I'm not sure how great of area it would be (I'm thinking of CT when I type that) or if it far from things to do (thinking northern FL there).

As far as getting a mobile home that cheap, I don't doubt you can, but they are also not known to withstand the weather very well. They usually don't hold up to well in hurricanes from what I have heard.

And if you are "buying" a mobile home make sure that you are buying the land.......or you are not making an investment is the true sense of the word. Many Mobiles on land involve a "land lease" which is not the same as buying a piece of property, I know this is common is Ca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
There are some very nice, affordable parts of Florida to live in, such as the Ocala area. Home prices there have been depressed for a LONG time, so you can get quite a bit of home for your money. The problem there is jobs - there are none, at least not very many good paying jobs. Like my parents (who live there) keep telling me, Florida is a great place to retire to, just bring your money with you.
The only cheap thing in Ocala are home prices.
The city-run utility is the highest priced utility in the state.
I've been here 21 years, I'm less than thrilled with it.
If DH didnt have a really good job, and if my mom werent here, I would have gone back to Missouri years ago.
Did I mention there arent any jobs?
Unemployment has been over 14% for a year.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwc44 View Post
I have a question I can't seem to make a post about it.

My families company is relocating to SouthWest Florida. My boss currently lives in West Rotunda. He is 50 so this is suitable for him. I am being told that our office location will be within 10 miles of West Rotunda, most likely 10 miles North. My question is; where should I move to - I don't want to drive an hour and would prefer to keep it to a minimum. So I think that leaves Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota all out of the picture - as well at Fort Myers. I am 23 years old and I am looking for a place that is not strictly ALL "old" retired individuals. Nothing wrong with that at all as sometimes they make good golf partners. However I am single and it would be nice to see females my age and be in a place that has some nightlife to it. I am not big party guy but still to be able to have the option is always nice and gives me the opportunity to meet others my age. Any suggestions? Having looked around it seems as though my options are Venice, Englewood, Grove city - however I am not sure as I am very uneducated in this discussion however that is what is close to my current boss' house.

Any advice will help me but just please keep in mind my flexibility is limited. I would have loved Tampa - I've been down there the last three years, that and Sarasota and St. Pete ..all beautiful places and have a lot to offer - I guess I just pulled the shorter stick. So with that being said I want to make the best of this and as I said any sound advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Englewood (and possibly Venice) look like the best places for you to meet a women close to your age. You will have to investigate the nightlife on your own. Generally the more populated areas offer more options.

GROVE CITY:

ROTONDA:

ENGLEWOOD:

VENICE:

Data is from https://www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The only cheap thing in Ocala are home prices.
The city-run utility is the highest priced utility in the state.
I've been here 21 years, I'm less than thrilled with it.
If DH didnt have a really good job, and if my mom werent here, I would have gone back to Missouri years ago.
Did I mention there arent any jobs?
Unemployment has been over 14% for a year.
I started a thread in the FT. Lauderdale, FL section (for my parents) a few days ago and the two or so responses don't paint a pretty picture as purchasing insurance(s) can drive up the cost quite a bit plus there's still "$ K's" of deductables.

When regular home insurance can run into the thousand$ as well as more thousand$ for hurricane insurance if it can be had, what good is it living in Florida if one doesn't have "riches" or great income to absorb any "wreckage(s)"?

My Step-Dad then called his brother who resides in the Cape Coral area and confirms this as well and says that costs are still to go up.

I say sooner or later you'll be back to your real home.

Take care

Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
Inland, housing is dirt cheap, but jobs are harder to find. Pay is way lower in Florida than anywhere in the north.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM

304 posts, read 617,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I'm the only person I know who's never been there. My cousin just came back and said he was offered a mobile home for $700 and the rent was $400 a month which included everything. He also said there's lots of similar deals like that down there. I'm trying to sell a house in CT. Once that's done I'm out of here.
South Florida is one of the most expensive areas in the US to live in. Excluding that, it's pretty affordable. The downside is no jobs, and low wages for the available jobs. Inland areas are cheaper than the cities on the coast.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I'm the only person I know who's never been there. My cousin just came back and said he was offered a mobile home for $700 and the rent was $400 a month which included everything. He also said there's lots of similar deals like that down there. I'm trying to sell a house in CT. Once that's done I'm out of here.
I suspect that is a $h!tty trailer in a horrible trailer park!

You question should have been: Why didn't you take it?

You can live under a bridge for free if cheap living is your goal.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Are there any boros in Palm Beach County or Broward county that is still dirt cheap to live in, but still desirable, or is all of South Florida just divided between fabulously rich and desperately poor?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
You can certainly live in Florida with no heating/cooling costs, if you find an old place that was built before AC. Nice high ceilings, a ceiling fan, and windows that can be opened to a shady yard, you don't need AC.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM

304 posts, read 617,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You can certainly live in Florida with no heating/cooling costs, if you find an old place that was built before AC. Nice high ceilings, a ceiling fan, and windows that can be opened to a shady yard, you don't need AC.
I have to respectfully disagree. You will die with no A/C. Not literally, but you will wish you were dead. Heat combined with extreme humidity - not a dry heat like AZ.

And no, there are no "cheap" places to live that are safe in the Tri-County area (Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties). But then again, what do you consider reasonable? My friend pays $1300 for a really nice 2B. It's a safe neighborhood. I consider that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living