Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Do you think Paris, MO and Paris, France are the same since they have the same name?

: Ok:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I'm the only person I know who's never been there. My cousin just came back and said he was offered a mobile home for $700 and the rent was $400 a month which included everything. He also said there's lots of similar deals like that down there. I'm trying to sell a house in CT. Once that's done I'm out of here.
Some people will sell them very cheaply because if they don't get rid of them they have to keep paying the lot rent, such as an inheritance or when they want to move, these are older units and need TLC. Some places make you pay for your water and lawn maintenance too. Lot rents at a nice park run $615 in south east Florida. Some parks are cheaper especially those that are more for Winnebago type homes. Some parks you would not want to live in for free. Some are only 55 or older.

If you move to a cheaper part of the state you might do better. I'm in my 40s but I went to look at a 1 bedroom apartment condo but they would not allow me and my father to own it if he didn't live there. It was only $22K but you had to have cash, and great credit. He has that, but they still won't let me live there. It has one and a half baths and was 700 square feet and was move in ready. Plus water and full cable is included. After that your HOA fees are only $350, so if you can borrow from a relative, instead of renting for $750 you can pay back a family member you borrowed it from in a few years. I've paid over $42,000 in rent in 5 years with nothing to show for it. I wish there were federal programs to help renters buy apartments.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
There's an excellent cost-of-living calculator on the CNNMoney website, which should help you decide whether Florida works for you.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:13 AM

188 posts, read 250,120 times
Default it depends on where you are comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I lived in South Florida and it's NOT cheap ! Its one of the more expensive places to live...

High Car Insurance, Rentals, Gas Prices, Electricity, because your air conditioning runs almost year round ( depending on your comfort level ) the Cost of Living is high.

Old thread I know- but I must say that in doing research re: Florida prices, it does depend on where you live but generally the NYC area is still *much* pricier. Car insurance is MORE expensive here, rent, gas costs, electric seems to be the same as everywhere I've lived. Take a look at this website to compare gas prices.

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

Old 06-14-2014, 06:26 AM

188 posts, read 250,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzii2008 View Post
South Florida is not cheap at all. If you're just looking for a one bed/one bath that could run you anywhere from $700-$900 depending on the area.
ummmm compared to where you're coming from, $700 a month for an entire 1BR is extremely inexpensive. Especially if they include water and/or wifi.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Just thinking if you wanted to live cheaply in Florida--or elsewhere, you might buy a single home on its own land for $25,000 or so. With 20% down, your mortgage would be around $100 month. Look for inexpesnive property taxes and low insurance costs away from the coast. Don't buy in a flood zone or in a sinkhole-prone area.

With your own land, you could grow your own vegetables and fruit...keep chickens if the zoning allows it. Or buy cheaply from farm neighbors.

If you buy away from the coast, you could have cheap home insurance.

Me, I wouldn't want to pay $400/month space rental or condo fees (unless I was incapable of doing my own home maintenance).

Condos and mobile home parks mean close neighbors and that could be problematic if there's a loud or inconsiderate family living cheek by jowl with you. Alos mobile home parks can go under or be sold and then you're stuck with a worthless home if you have to vacate.

Condo fees can fluctuate upward if there's a new roof or other high-end assessment.

Things to think about, yes? I'd gravitate toward the security of knowing what your fixed costs will be--this you get with your own land and house. You know the property taxes and insurance going into the deal.

Look for a block house, better defense against bugs and rot. Cheaper maintenance.

I'd look in Central Florida away from the tourist areas...Lake Placid is a nice area--but there are many other smaller communities to explore.

I think you can live cheaply in Florida if you choose the locale and the dwelling structure with care. Food costs can be relatively low, too, if you live in an agricultural area and build your meals around good,, fresh Florida produce.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM

112 posts, read 130,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyftlaud View Post
Florida was once very inexpensive to live but that is no longer the case.
Taxes have gone way up on property,utilities are very high, insurance has gone up about 300% in the past 5 years and a 30% increase was just approved with a bill being pushed for agencies to carry reinsurance which will raise insurance an estimated 60% more. Fod, clothing and everything has gone way up.
I was shocked to see that I spent much less money on groceries on a recent trip to Northern California then I do here in South Florida.
What the heck? Why is that and maybe you just shopped at a cheaper store than you usually do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living