Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav
People who owe hundreds of thosusand each from governamnt borrowing in the defcit are worried about the price of extra cheese which they can refuse to buy?No wander the nation is in trouble;is my thinking.
You are absolutely correct. These people are idiots.
You seem to imply that they're NOT worried about the federal debt? For all we know they're worried about owing "hundreds of thosusand each from governamnt borrowing in the deficit" -- AND also the price of extra cheese at Subway. Why can't they be concerned about both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You seem to imply that they're NOT worried about the federal debt? For all we know they're worried about owing "hundreds of thosusand each from governamnt borrowing in the deficit" -- AND also the price of extra cheese at Subway. Why can't they be concerned about both?
Well, I'm not worried about the government "debt", as it's denominated in our very own currency. When it's time to pay up, we just need to fire up those printing presses...lol.

What galls me the most about businesses raising prices is that they're doing it without raising the wages of the people working for them - what kind of deal is that? And it's good that people will boycott places that rip customers off - they need to be exterminated like the roaches they are.

Just like the 2 gas stations I saw the other day, one was totally empty, the other one right next to it was jammed-packed, with lines and everything. The reason? The empty gas station was charging 40 cents (yes, you read that right, 40 fricking cents more a gallon) - for the same fricking product! This is why I have absolutely ZERO respect for the business world - not only are they cruel and callous towards our fellow human beings, they are just D-U-M-B, as if they really think that people will pay an extra 40 cents a gallon when they can get it for the regular price, right next door. I just don't get it, I really don't....

Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
As to people who are concerned about "pennies" not being concerned about large debt...

Actually the opposite is true. Those who count their pennies are the ones who would be MOST concerned about large debt (and know what to do about it).

It is people what say "It is just a dollar" and think "Why bother" who run up the large debts. You can see these same people in government saying "It is just a few million, why bother cutting it?"

Those who watch the small expenses do not run up large expenses. $1 a day for a soda pop at the store is $365.00 a year...

Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, I'm not worried about the government "debt", as it's denominated in our very own currency. When it's time to pay up, we just need to fire up those printing presses...lol.

What galls me the most about businesses raising prices is that they're doing it without raising the wages of the people working for them - what kind of deal is that? And it's good that people will boycott places that rip customers off - they need to be exterminated like the roaches they are.
I hear ya. They cheap out and raise the price of cheese by only $1.50 when they could be raising it by $3 and paying their employees more. However, customers aren't getting ripped off here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Just like the 2 gas stations I saw the other day, one was totally empty, the other one right next to it was jammed-packed, with lines and everything. The reason? The empty gas station was charging 40 cents (yes, you read that right, 40 fricking cents more a gallon) - for the same fricking product! This is why I have absolutely ZERO respect for the business world - not only are they cruel and callous towards our fellow human beings, they are just D-U-M-B, as if they really think that people will pay an extra 40 cents a gallon when they can get it for the regular price, right next door. I just don't get it, I really don't....
You may want to start here to "get it": General Business - For Dummies

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People who owe hundreds of thousand each from government borrowing in the deficit are worried about the price of extra cheese which they can refuse to buy?No wander the nation is in trouble;is my thinking.
Both parties run up the deficit.
No sense worrying over much about something you have no control over.

The Occupy types are incensed over our government being a welfare system for big business. The tea party wants smaller government. Really, what have these clowns actually accomplished? Bubkis!

Besides, this may come as a shock, but people are capable of doing both, because both affect our lives. Why pigeon hole yourself?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Both parties run up the deficit.
No sense worrying over much about something you have no control over.

The Occupy types are incensed over our government being a welfare system for big business. The tea party wants smaller government. Really, what have these clowns actually accomplished? Bubkis!

Besides, this may come as a shock, but people are capable of doing both, because both affect our lives. Why pigeon hole yourself?
Exactly - it doesn't matter what party is in power - once they get in, they love to spend money. The only way to put a stop to that is a Balanced Budget Amendment. But I have a feeling we'll default long before this is ever implemented. Since I don't have control either way, I just don't worry about it...lol.

NJ - you think a "dummies" book will explain why one gas station is 40 cents higher than the one right next door? I don't know what you're thinking, but to me, that's just business suicide - there was nobody at that gas station, while the QT was three cars deep for each pumping station. As for the subway, I'd toss a fit if they tried to charge me three times the normal upgrade price for cheese (remember, at my local Subway, it's hard to even get them to charge the 50 cents...lol). But we folks in Georgia are cheapskates, might as well call us the frugal capital of the United States...lol. Like one time, I was at a festival, and one of the food booths wanted $4 for an iced tea, and I said to the guy, you're charging $4 for something that shouldn't be more than $2, and he agreed! I got the tea for $2...lol.

See, it pays to speak up and complain when you think you're getting ripped off.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Wow. Well, this whole thread can now be declared useless - moot - because not all Subway stores are an actual part of the Subway chain.
The Subway chain charges .50 cents for the extra 4 half slices of cheese, not $1.50.
It's also a strong possibility that the original poster just had an incompetent employee serving them,
since they had always been charged the correct amount of .50 cents in their prior visits.

For all the Subway bashers and for those that may just want to know (if they didn't already):

~ If you order a specific meat sub of, say, roast beef or turkey or ham, you get the real thing.
~ If you order a "cold cut combo" you are getting turkey-based meat product. Subway does not hide the fact and it's posted for folks to see.
~ Their tuna is real and delicious.
~ The cheese is cheese.
~ You can have free extra condiments at no charge, up to twice the regulation quantity. Cheese is not a condiment.
~ They don't use, "paper thin slices" of green peppers, as quoted from this thread. They are very generous with all of their delicious condiments.
~ I get extra cheese for free at our clean, friendly Subways. Why? Because I'm a really nice customer.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
because you can voluntarily choose not to put extra cheese on your subway sub?

for the record, subway has buy-one-get-one-free before 9 am on the 6 inch subs this month.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,601 times
I find it strange that a Veggie Delite sandwich costs the same as the tuna sandwich. They are the same sandwich but one has the addition of the tuna.

If one wants extra cheese (2 slices) on the Veggie Delite to add more protein to it, Subway charges for that extra cheese. And they charge up to a $1 or more.

So, I wonder doescheese really cost more for Subway to purchase than the tuna they put on the sandwich? The vegetarian needing more protein gets screwed in this situation.

Last edited by avg12; 04-08-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Go across the street to BK and get a value-menu cheeseburger for 99c. Take the cheese off it, and put it on your Sub. You get extra cheese on the sub for 99c, and a free burger on the side.

Or, stop at a supermarket and get 24 slices of fake cheese food ("sandwich slices") for $2.50, keep them in your glove compartment (to ride out their thousand-year shelf life), and put them on your subs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living