Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go across the street to BK and get a value-menu cheeseburger for 99c. Take the cheese off it, and put it on your Sub. You get extra cheese on the sub for 99c, and a free burger.
Many vegetarians won't eat cheese that was atop of meat and take it out of a sandwich to consume it. Anyways, Burger King uses processed cheese. It's a different cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 02:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Exactly - it doesn't matter what party is in power - once they get in, they love to spend money. The only way to put a stop to that is a Balanced Budget Amendment. But I have a feeling we'll default long before this is ever implemented. Since I don't have control either way, I just don't worry about it...lol.

NJ - you think a "dummies" book will explain why one gas station is 40 cents higher than the one right next door? I don't know what you're thinking, but to me, that's just business suicide - there was nobody at that gas station, while the QT was three cars deep for each pumping station. As for the subway, I'd toss a fit if they tried to charge me three times the normal upgrade price for cheese (remember, at my local Subway, it's hard to even get them to charge the 50 cents...lol). But we folks in Georgia are cheapskates, might as well call us the frugal capital of the United States...lol. Like one time, I was at a festival, and one of the food booths wanted $4 for an iced tea, and I said to the guy, you're charging $4 for something that shouldn't be more than $2, and he agreed! I got the tea for $2...lol.

See, it pays to speak up and complain when you think you're getting ripped off.
The dummies book will explain that the gas station can't charge less than what they are buying their gasoline for from their supplier. If the supplier is charging 40 cents more, then the gas station has to charge 40 cents more. They can't just lower the price and take a loss just to attract more people.

You want Subway to pay their employees more and sell their items for less at the same time? You might want to refer back to those business books I linked you to in the previous post.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
ding ding ding! We have someone who gets it.
No. I work at a deli that serves a much higher quality cheese than Subway cheese. A 1/4 of cheese would be around 1.74. That comes sliced. The price includes transportation to the store, storage, and the employee slicing it.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Wow. Well, this whole thread can now be declared useless - moot - because not all Subway stores are an actual part of the Subway chain.

~ They don't use, "paper thin slices" of green peppers, as quoted from this thread. They are very generous with all of their delicious condiments.
~ I get extra cheese for free at our clean, friendly Subways. Why? Because I'm a really nice customer.
It is very wrong of you to tell me what my experience was at Subway. I was at this cheapskate store for the first time with my husband. Believe me, I do not exaggerate.

We smiled and told them we were happy that the store was there. We no longer live in the area, but it was in the Shop Rite mini mall, 8th street, Passaic, N.J. We received such lousy service that we never went back. When we were there we noticed that people were just walking in for take out morning coffee. Nobody - nobody - ordered any food.

You sound as though you may be a part of the chain. I hope so. If these stores are as good as you say someone should take the franchise away from the creeps who run this store since they are clearly ruining your reputation.

I am not saying that the people there seem unfriendly, but they have NO CLUE as to how to run a business.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
For the heck of it, i looked up the price for "extra-cheese" at Subway's in CT. The range appeared to be $.50-.80 extra charge. Then, i checked one in Portland, Oregon(OP's location). Yup, $1.50 for extra cheese!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

The Subway chain charges .50 cents for the extra 4 half slices of cheese, not $1.50.
It's also a strong possibility that the original poster just had an incompetent employee serving them

Subway Online Menu

Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
How is THAT menu addressing the 'extras' mentioned here?

Where does it mention extra cheese or bell peppers?

This just seems to be free advertising for the company, a bummer.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The dummies book will explain that the gas station can't charge less than what they are buying their gasoline for from their supplier. If the supplier is charging 40 cents more, then the gas station has to charge 40 cents more. They can't just lower the price and take a loss just to attract more people.

You want Subway to pay their employees more and sell their items for less at the same time? You might want to refer back to those business books I linked you to in the previous post.
I have a hard time believing that gas cost 40 cents more from one supplier than it does another - I mean, isn't gasoline based on the daily commodities market, and the wholesale price is based on that? In any case, that gas station had better be contacting his attorney and do some hard-core suing if he wants to stay in biz...lol.

As for the Subway example, I meant, if they raise prices across the board, along with the grocery stores, etc charging more, then employees should be paid more to compensate. I don't see why we don't have an annual cost of living increase law like they do for Social Security - if inflation is running at 5%, then wages need to go up 5% as well, otherwise, in 5 years, people's effective pay would drop by 25%. Is this what we really want as a society - people getting paid less and less over time? I was brought up to believe that our standard of living is supposed to go UP over time, not down. This is what I call a**-backwards economics, and it sucks for everyone, except for the few and mighty at the top of course. This is the United States, not some crappy 3rd world country.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Try clicking on the "Add To Order" button located on the far right of the menu screen.

Quote:
No offense but, try to figure something out before you accuse people of having an ulterior motive. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:

It took me a few seconds, but I did figure it out. It does show $1.50 for cheese.

Last edited by NJBest; 04-08-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I never realized how seriously people take extra cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living