Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:49 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
And although I could literally but any clothes I want, I absolutely hate clothes shopping; I've joked that I must have a defective X chromosome (or two) because I've just never been able to care about the latest styles.
Oh, how I can relate. Just yesterday I went to the mall to try my hand at clothes shopping, and that didn't go very well. I tried to keep an open mind, but it was no use. I absolutely hate it.

Yes, I wear the same things all the time. If I find anything that looks and fits right, I'll buy three or four of them. Mr. Vid wears the same things, too. We take good care of our clothes, so they last years. As for exercise clothes, they do get stinky, and it seems like mine get more stinky than Mr.'s, but those, too, get a good washing and they're back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I could care less what people wear as long as it is neat and clean. Most of my shirts are plain v-necked t shirts that will go with anything and I have a couple pair of jeans and capris.

My bf buys multiples of the same pocket t shirt, in the same color. He actually has more clothes than I do.

I really don't see the need in a lot of clothing. I will go out and get a few things here and there but not a lot. I saw where some of the stitching in one of my shirts is coming out the other day so I am gonna stick it in a drawer and it will now be pajamas. There is nothing wrong with it for around the house.

Many men buy multiple of the same item of clothing, and it is no big deal. I could see if someone had a problem with someone not cleaning themselves and their clothing, but otherwise, I don't see an issue.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Even polyester/blend can be washed by soaking it in pine-sol or adding vinegar to the wash.
Yes -- and that may work for a while, but eventually, it won't and it will smell like B.O.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'm really embarrassed about how posters everywhere on the internet try to shame and ridicule others hiding behind a screen, thinking they are not being bullies by their off hand comments.

It's funny how people like to make someone feel small for making up a topic.
Im sorry if someone thought I was being a bully I was not trying to be that in fact I hate bullies . Im just simply stating that people need not worry so much about what others wear ...I truly am sorry if anyone thought I was being a bully that was not my intention at all .

Old 05-31-2013, 06:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
When I worked I had multiples of the same clothes and wore fresh clothing every day. But I looked the same as the day before.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Default The issue of underarm odor washing out or not

I am amazed at the claim that underarm odor will survive proper washing, because in my experience it never has. However, more than one poster has advanced that claim, and there is no point in assuming they are liars.

We are all different biochemically. Some of us have allergies and some don't. Those with allergies don't have the same ones. Some people have a problem with motion sickness and some don't. Ditto with altitude sickness. Therefore, why would we be all the same with regard to underarm odor? Perhaps some people have underarm odor which is simply more tenancious on clothing than others. That would be an explanation of the different experiences which are being reported here.

I prefer to believe that explanation, although it is news to me that odor can sometimes survive a washing with an adequate amount of laundry detergent. I think I have learned something in this thread, and that is that I should not assume that my personal experience is a universal experience.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
It seems the older I get, the more "formula" my clothing is. It might look as though I am wearing the same thing all the time, but in reality, I tend to wear similar things most of the time.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
People's body chemistry, the fibers in their clothing, the quality of their washing machine, the temperature in which they wash, the detergent they use and the hardness of their water all play into how long clothes last.

My husband can ring around the armpit of whites like NOTHING I've ever seen, in 4 states and dealing with a lot of laundry, including cloth diapering two kids. I have no reason to tell someone who has a similar problem with odor that they are wrong and I am right.

I don't know anyone who wears the same exact thing every day.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I noticed some people will wear the same clothes all the time, or at least whenever I see them.

For instance I know this guy at the gym for perhaps over 7+ years and yet he always wears the same outfit working out! Now I don't know if he has multiples of the same outfit, but I find that a bit embarrassing, especially if you go as much as he does.

Another retired guy I know brags that he's in the 1%, but he always wears the same jacket and shirt underneath. He's a customer I been dealing with over a year and wonder what's the use of being in the 1% if you can't afford to wear different clothes?

How about you? Do you know anyone who always wears the same clothes or has a limited wardrobe?

Are you the type to wear the same clothes over and over until there is holes before you replace them?
Why should he be embarrassed?
Unless he stinks or there are holes or something, who cares?

Again, what does having money have to do with wearing many different outfits?
Just because it's important to you doesn't mean that guy gives a crap.
The whole point of being rich is getting to do whatever you want. Not fulfill the expectations of some weirdo who thinks it's actually important to have fifty changes of clothing.

I have various different outfits for different things, but mostly so I can go many days without doing laundry.
But I could give a rat's ass about clothing.

Why would you get rid of clothing that was perfectly good?

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
When I worked I had multiples of the same clothes and wore fresh clothing every day. But I looked the same as the day before.
I once realized on a Friday that I had worn navy blue pants and light blue cotton tops every day that week. Even though they were five different outfits I could imagine that a casual observer would think that I wore the same outfit all five days. Who would have noticed that one pair of pants was corduroy, another was navy dress pants, two were cotton blend more casual pants and the last pair had a slightly darker navy stripe in them?

It reminded me of when my son was starting kindergarten. I found a huge, huge sale on short-sleeved cotton shirts that fit him perfectly. I bought about 12 or 15 of these shirts. Red & white stripes, red, white & blue stripes, yellow & blue stripes, green & white stripes, black, yellow & white stripes, blue & red stripes, etc. some with thin stripes, some with thick stripes, some with medium stripes all for only $1.50 each (or some ridiculously low price). So, day after day our son wore different striped tee shirts to school. We found out later the teacher and other students were thinking that he only had one or two shirts and he wore it/them day after day after day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living