Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Back to the original question:
I almost always buy the store brand (Safeway) canned vegetables like green beans, corn, mushrooms, etc. A difference in product size doesn't bother me.

Where I've found major differences is in things like aluminum foil, the store brand is much flimsier so I buy Reynold's. I also have found that Safeway's Corn Flakes are just like Kellogg's while their Cheerios type cereal is not as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:15 AM

217 posts, read 326,000 times
For the most part, I really don't see a difference between Aldi's products and 'real brand names', but I don't buy vegetables or fruits from them. Mainly stick to stuff like cereal and milk.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:40 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I have long suspected a lot of Aldi's store brands are the exact products from some of the name brands in part because they use the same copyrighted name as the name brand. (Example, Aldi sells a "Chewy" named granola bar under a store brand. The bars seem idenitcal to the Quaker brands "Chewy" named bars.)

Either way, their canned, boxed, dry goods products all seem of equal quality to the name brand stuff to me... and cost a LOT less.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Sorry but we threw the Aldi pineapple out. Not ripe and no flavor. After the horsemeat issue I pass on Aldi.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry but we threw the Aldi pineapple out. Not ripe and no flavor. After the horsemeat issue I pass on Aldi.
fruit is such a risky business to begin with, its not something id get at aldi. id be more likely to buy veggies there since their taste is harder to screw up.

i bought some pre-cooked bacon there the other day. i saw it on sale in a local supermarket for 3.69 and it was 2.49. i was happy with that. my wife likes to buy those bacon, egg and cheese biscuit sandwiches from jimmy dean. im trying to make my own since they are about 1.62 each on sale, way more when not on sale. the home made ones i made were about 51 cents each, not sure how they taste but i think the basic ingredients i used are delicious.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
The Aldi's pineapple do ripen if you allow them to sit around for a few days. Pineapple smells like fresh pineapple when it is ripe. If it isn't ripe, it doesn't have that smell.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:15 AM

374 posts, read 492,255 times
As for the produce at Aldi's I am very picky and now that I am back at Aldi's will choose them every time my friends. I do buy organic at Co-ops, other stores etc. I love Aldi's they have been getting lots of organic and get fresh produce on their trucks daily, that is why some are unripe as they are not gassed. I prefer to let them ripen on my counter if need be, be fresher and not gassed. But hey to each his own.

I have gotten the organic cherry tomatoes, spinach, lettuce mixes, bananas and all have been fresh, lasting for days beyond the other stores. In doing research found out it is do to them getting produce on a more frequent basis compared to other stores ( most Aldi stores get it daily) compared to other stores getting it once a week.

On a separate note the pineapples there were from dole, same as all the other stores. Mine have been ripe and delicious. Did get a few unripe so they would last and ripen on my counter. Most pineapples sold in all stores are from dole so if you don't like Aldi's don't bother getting them at the other stores for 5.00 more.

If you are ever unhappy with a product there bring it back they have a money back guarantee, and want to know. I have been a Mod on a major coupon board and can tell you for their organics and some brands you can't get better quality nor cheaper in most circumstances. Just sayin...

Old 01-27-2014, 10:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I usually stay away from most of Aldi's perishables. Some of the fruits and veggies are ok. Rarely ever touch their meats. Usually only shop their "dry goods."

Old 01-27-2014, 02:24 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
After hearing the complaints/criticisms it's funny to me that Aldi's is planning to open a store in SoMD and some people here are orgasmic about it. They're going to abandon all other grocers and exclusively shop there.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
After hearing the complaints/criticisms it's funny to me that Aldi's is planning to open a store in SoMD and some people here are orgasmic about it. They're going to abandon all other grocers and exclusively shop there.
there are always complaints/criticisms about any business but I think the aldi sentiments are primarily positive. I think they need to either change their logo or add some kind of slogan because it took me almost 2 years living near an aldi to realize it was a grocery store. I do all the grocery shopping for my home because my wife wont look for the best deals. aldi is the only place by me where she is allowed to go get something if a need suddenly arises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living