Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
As for the produce at Aldi's I am very picky and now that I am back at Aldi's will choose them every time my friends. I do buy organic at Co-ops, other stores etc. I love Aldi's they have been getting lots of organic and get fresh produce on their trucks daily, that is why some are unripe as they are not gassed. I prefer to let them ripen on my counter if need be, be fresher and not gassed. But hey to each his own.

I have gotten the organic cherry tomatoes, spinach, lettuce mixes, bananas and all have been fresh, lasting for days beyond the other stores. In doing research found out it is do to them getting produce on a more frequent basis compared to other stores ( most Aldi stores get it daily) compared to other stores getting it once a week.

On a separate note the pineapples there were from dole, same as all the other stores. Mine have been ripe and delicious. Did get a few unripe so they would last and ripen on my counter. Most pineapples sold in all stores are from dole so if you don't like Aldi's don't bother getting them at the other stores for 5.00 more.

If you are ever unhappy with a product there bring it back they have a money back guarantee, and want to know. I have been a Mod on a major coupon board and can tell you for their organics and some brands you can't get better quality nor cheaper in most circumstances. Just sayin...
Great post, I agree. I was again shopping at my ALDI yesterday, and they just keep getting better and better. I LOVE their new organic line, the pasta sauce is just delicious, and half the price of other organic sauces. And again, their incredible frozen pizzas from Italy - oh, my and only $3.49!!! I just could not live without this store. The manager told me they will be phasing out their "Fit and Active" line since the Simply Nature organic is replacing it. I really cannot believe the quality of most of their items for the price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
There are things I always buy at Aldi. THeir romaine head 3-pack, red/yellow/orange peppers, asparagus (fresh), organic bananas, fresh lemons, etc are a must.
Sounds good! I will have to check into that. We eat alot of romaine and bananas over here, and I am trying to incorporate peppers more into our meals also.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
We actually went back and got tons more but dehydrated them for that price. I have two dehydrators and it warms the kitchen, smells great and are so good dried. The usual price for pineapples in my are is 5-6.00 each so this was a great savings for us.

I heard that you can dehydrate fruit in the oven, so I might just try that. The pineapples sound great!

Here's the link that I am going to experiment with:

http://diy-projectss.blogspot.com/20...your-oven.html

Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry but we threw the Aldi pineapple out. Not ripe and no flavor. After the horsemeat issue I pass on Aldi.
The horse meat scandal was in Europe , people over there were upset over the mislabeling more then anything. Horse meat is wildly consumed in Europe , its cheaper then cow....same with reindeer or kangaroo which sold in other parts of the world.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The horse meat scandal was in Europe , people over there were upset over the mislabeling more then anything. Horse meat is wildly consumed in Europe , its cheaper then cow....same with reindeer or kangaroo which sold in other parts of the world.
i dont know why there is a problem eating it here. id like to have horse meat as an option.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
. And again, their incredible frozen pizzas from Italy - oh, my and only $3.49!!!
What's the brand name on the pizza? I might have to take a trip to Aldi after hearing about good Pizza.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
make sure to check on the digiorno deals in your area. a supermarket by me has many of them on sale for 3.97 each. you get the buy 2 get 1 free coupon online and its 2.65 per pizza.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 PM

374 posts, read 492,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What's the brand name on the pizza? I might have to take a trip to Aldi after hearing about good Pizza.
Not sure of the brand but Aldi's owns Trader Joes and they both have pizza from Italy. It is cheap and good~

Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are always complaints/criticisms about any business but I think the aldi sentiments are primarily positive. I think they need to either change their logo or add some kind of slogan because it took me almost 2 years living near an aldi to realize it was a grocery store. I do all the grocery shopping for my home because my wife wont look for the best deals. aldi is the only place by me where she is allowed to go get something if a need suddenly arises.
I did NOT like Aldi for years. I did not like the rude cashiers who would toss your ONE item into a cart rather than handing it to you.

One day, the wife asked me to stop and buy saltines. I went to Jewel and the LOWEST priced store-name brand was $2.49. As I did not buy saltines often, that sounded so high that I decided to stop at Aldi. The Aldi saltines were $0.89.

Occasionally, I would stop in for some staples. However, while walking around, I noted that some of the products that I was buying were identical to Trader Joes. Aldi prices were lower.

About 2009, Chicago foodies started posting very positive comments about Aldi products. I am in there about once a month and think that they have improved the selection and the quality. They have some great products at very good prices.

Occasionally, their produce is not as good as other selections. If it is really bad, we take it back and we take advantage of their guarantee. They give us another product and refund the money for the original item. It has happened once.

I cannot speak for all Aldi stores. However, the two stores I shop at are almost out of food by the end of the day. It looks like they turn all their food 2-3 days on average.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not always the same. A few weeks ago it was "Specially Selected", stone-baked varieties from Italy. Last week they had their "Mama Cozzi" brand, also stone-baked from Italy. That is the key - buy the ones that say "stone-baked" and are imported from Italy. They are totally different from the others. I also had one of the new "Simply Nature" organic veggie pizzas that were pretty good, but I still prefer the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living