Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times

Advertisements

Buy a freezer and stock it with a side of beef or a quarter of beef, and your price per pound for all cuts will drop dramatically. Plus, if you buy it from a farmer, you can see where your steer spent its life and see what it was fed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Bulk prices such as the above are climbing, too, for the same reasons. It's not just grocery store beef.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:03 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Due to the drought, Ranchers sold a lot of cattle about 2-3 years ago and are now rebuilding their herds.
There is a shortage going to the Auctions.

My family reduced their cattle from about 30 to 12 and can't even restock their own freezer right now.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?
Why?
History says so!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Hmmmm... that tidbit failed to make any history books I read.
Beef is not "supposed" to be anything... except delicious as steak!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Due to the drought, Ranchers sold a lot of cattle about 2-3 years ago and are now rebuilding their herds.

My family reduced their cattle from about 30 to 12 and can't even restock their own freezer right now.
Exactly.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:16 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Most haven't reduced their herds to that extent. As I said, the total reduction in the US bovine population is three percent over the past two years combined. A 3% reduction in supply doesn't create a 50% increase in retail price all by itself.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Seriously, hamburger is $6 per lb here. What are you paying and why is it so high? And that's just for regular hamburger. The lean stuff is even higher. And I haven't seen a package of hamburger in the bargain bin for ages.

I like pork and chicken but I really miss my beef. After combing through all the circulars I found a Thursday only sale on ground beef for $2.99/lb. Guess I will go and get some. Every now and then, I just NEED meatloaf!

Hamburger is supposed to be cheap!
I agree, you'd think hamburger would be one of the cheaper meats. I remember when hamburger and chicken were the two cheapest you could get. I can still get a whole chicken for less than $1 pound or a family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.77 to $1.99 pound. I buy pork loins when they are on a good sale, cut 3/4 of it into sirloin chops and roast the rest. I also eat fish, mostly Salmon, Cod and Halibut and, sometimes, shrimp.

I sometimes miss beef too but it seems like most of the time I've bought it over the past couple of years it's been so tough! I buy good ones when I do so it's not like I'm expecting chuck roast to be melt in your mouth. A few days ago I did break down and buy a chuck roast for the slow cooker. I paid $13 for a three plus pound roast but it will provide plenty of meals for me and I gave my mom some. I do like to hit Safeway's bargain meat bin sometimes. I've found some good deals and especially steaks so I get to 'spoil' myself now and then.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Seriously, hamburger is $6 per lb here. What are you paying and why is it so high? And that's just for regular hamburger. The lean stuff is even higher. And I haven't seen a package of hamburger in the bargain bin for ages.

I like pork and chicken but I really miss my beef. After combing through all the circulars I found a Thursday only sale on ground beef for $2.99/lb. Guess I will go and get some. Every now and then, I just NEED meatloaf!

Hamburger is supposed to be cheap!
Lean to eat less beef, chicken, & pork. Eating in this stuff is contributing to obesity and the resultant sky high health care costs. People with plant based diets (not necessarily 100% vegetarian, but plant based), are healthier, live longer, and are less reliant on the health care system.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Lean to eat less beef, chicken, & pork. Eating in this stuff is contributing to obesity and the resultant sky high health care costs. People with plant based diets (not necessarily 100% vegetarian, but plant based), are healthier, live longer, and are less reliant on the health care system.
An appropriate serving size for beef is 4-6 ounces. The typical serving size today is 8-16 ounces. If people would eat beef like they should - 2-3 times a week, 4-6 ounce serving with lots of greens to fill them up and help digestion - it would not only improve their health but would also eliminate the need for feedlot operations that are required to supply our insatiable demand, which would mean that beef cattle could be raised to maturity on grass without the use of hormones and antibiotics which would, in turn, provide consumers with a product that would improve their health even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living