Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:04 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. I was so intrigued that I bought Good and Cheap. I can't wait to try the recipes. It won't be real soon though. Since I love to cook my freezer is full. I made a promise to myself to eat it down so I can make new stuff. I'm doing well except I did make vegetarian Chile, which added to the problem.

So now I have to wait. Then, we first had an ice storm and today, snow. I'm waiting to go shopping until the roads are good. I seriously need vegetables but think there are some frozen ones somewhere in the freezer.

Oh well, this will make me eat what's here first. Needless to say I have spent very little on food so far. Just staples like butter & milk from the mini mart. I didn't even know I had two packages of salmon filets until I started doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 05:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,774,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
If you want to stop buying paper towels, try a french press for coffee. No coffee filters/paper towels needed.
There's also these -
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...offee%20filter

Old 12-18-2015, 10:32 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My grocery bill would be much lower if I never had to buy paper goods, detergent, HBA (health, beauty aids), plus all the other items people use in their homes.
Not everyone includes those items in their food budgets. That comes under something different.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:34 PM

934 posts, read 1,129,861 times
Quote:
If you want to stop buying paper towels, try a french press for coffee. No coffee filters/paper towels needed.

I don't drink coffee too often. I will use a paper towel from time to time. Or even just dump ground in a pot of hot water and let the ground settle and pour off the top. No strainer needed at all. But I'm not a coffee fiend like a lot of folks. I have a little mesh screen strainer that I use for the loose tea I brew.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,149,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I love this thread. I was so intrigued that I bought Good and Cheap. I can't wait to try the recipes. It won't be real soon though. Since I love to cook my freezer is full. I made a promise to myself to eat it down so I can make new stuff. I'm doing well except I did make vegetarian Chile, which added to the problem.

I was surprised to find that this thread triggered so much good chat - and I'm delighted that it motivated someone to go out to buy it. I'm going to peruse it in a book store to see if it's the kind of book I'd use. I think this would make a great Christmas present for someone frugal!

Old 12-25-2015, 06:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I was surprised to find that this thread triggered so much good chat - and I'm delighted that it motivated someone to go out to buy it. I'm going to peruse it in a book store to see if it's the kind of book I'd use. I think this would make a great Christmas present for someone frugal!
You don't need to buy it. You can download the entire cookbook as a free PDF to your computer. Just google the title.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
Writers who put so much into the making of a book deserve the recognition. AND the profits from their labor.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Writers who put so much into the making of a book deserve the recognition. AND the profits from their labor.
I don't disagree, but Leanne Brown herself offers it as a free PDF on her website. Nobody is taking advantage of her.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Walmart, on the bottom shelf, always has a name brand tooth paste, for example, for a lot less than the lowest price at a supermarket. So do some drug chains. You have to get down on your knees and search for them. Supermarkets are notoriously bad places to buy things like HBAs and cleaning products. The dollar stores have great prices on cleaning products. Although, no doubt some of them will carry a steeply discounted product or some economical store brands.
What are HBAs? health and beauty aids, read a little further in the thread, never mind...

Old 12-28-2015, 10:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
I have a friend who swears by her electric percolator, saying it makes the best coffee. I have had her coffee and it is pretty dang good. What brand do you have? I would like to try one out someday. She has an old stainless steal one that was her grandmother's... I suppose they are built very well and do last at least through three generations of daily use!

Of course, when our electricity went out... she was at my house for coffee. We heated up the water on the camping stove and used the french press for the morning coffee. It was still pretty dang good.
I have a GE percolator 12-cup (stainless steel). I don't think it's available, any more, though. GE 12 Cup Percolator - Walmart.com

I had several Farberware percolators before the GE, since my mother and grandmother had had them. WARNING: All of them stopped working after a short while. I think it was the thermostat on them (made in China). So I got the GE, and it has been a workhorse. I've had it for maybe 8 years?

Then I bought a backup percolator, since I thought percolators might be on their way out. I got a Presto (stainless steel), but I haven't used it yet. Presto 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker - Walmart.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living