Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,164,694 times

Advertisements

I saw a PBS segment on this - a cook and her cookbook:

Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4 a Day
By Leanne Brown

Author's site: Leanne Brown

Book's site: Good and Cheap: Main Description: $16.95: Workman Publishing

PBS program: Three recipes you can make under $4 per serving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,244,855 times
I thought this was going to be about pots and pans, which have lately become very expensive to buy. I make do with a very old cast iron skillet and a few fairly decent saucepans with the teflon scrubbed off, and one old stainless steel yard-sale acquisition. Also an enameled covered roasting pan from WalMart.

As for the intended topic, I cook all my own meals in-house, at about $3 a day.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:07 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,738,571 times
I am at around $5 or less per day.

I don't eat much red meat at all which saves a lot of money. I eat mostly chicken, ground turkey and fish. I also cook in volume maybe 2 or 3 days a month (soups, chili, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, potato dishes etc) and freeze it which is what saves me the most on food expense. Otherwise I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, salads, eggs, greek yogurt, oatmeal and vegan protein shakes. And I keep a lot of spices and herbs on hand.

I cut out all white bread, white flour, white pasta, sugar and switched to all whole wheat and whole grain breads and pastas but I eat those very sparingly.

I very rarely eat any type of processed food or pre-made/packaged dinners and I very rarely eat outside of home. 99% of my food intake is homemade. I like to control what goes into my food, who makes it and how it is made.

I drink mostly water (sometimes flavored water), skim milk, decaf coffee and tea.

Food expense for 1 is around $150 or less a month.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,705,566 times
I think it's wonderful for what it is, but many of the recipes don't attract my kids' interest. I near exclusively rely on Budget Bytes these days with some supplementation of various Moosewood and Jeanne Lemlin recipes. If you're not familiar with Lemlin I really recommend checking her books out from a library. They were some of my first cookbooks.. I think they're all vegetarian, use accessible ingredients and minimal skills.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:12 PM

617 posts, read 670,805 times
Wow, you guys spend big on food. I eat for $1.23 per day. Sometimes less. Steak from grass fed cows, lobster, salad, crab legs, line caught tuna, range fed chicken.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:19 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,738,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Wow, you guys spend big on food. I eat for $1.23 per day. Sometimes less. Steak from grass fed cows, lobster, salad, crab legs, line caught tuna, range fed chicken.

Oh come on, don't be silly, it cost money to raise those animals so you are spending more than $1.23 a day all told.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:51 PM

617 posts, read 670,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Oh come on, don't be silly, it cost money to raise those animals so you are spending more than $1.23 a day all told.
Well, you got me.

I spend on things like broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, red peppers, zucchini, bananas, grape fruit, chips, salsa and spend $180 in a little less than 2 weeks.

I envy ya'll that can eat on $4 and less. I think we should put our height and weight out there to give balance when comparing food spending. I'm 6' 3" and 240 lbs.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:14 PM

7,073 posts, read 6,354,740 times
I found the book on Amazon for $8.98. There were cheaper prices but when you add the shipping, it's the same. I am a prime member because I buy a lot over the internet due to a back injury. The nearest store is 8 miles away & I really have to plan when I shop.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:28 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,095,655 times
My grocery bill would be much lower if I never had to buy paper goods, detergent, HBA (health, beauty aids), plus all the other items people use in their homes.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,433,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I think it's wonderful for what it is, but many of the recipes don't attract my kids' interest. I near exclusively rely on Budget Bytes these days with some supplementation of various Moosewood and Jeanne Lemlin recipes. If you're not familiar with Lemlin I really recommend checking her books out from a library. They were some of my first cookbooks.. I think they're all vegetarian, use accessible ingredients and minimal skills.
The broccoli empanadas have become a favorite around here. They are seriously tasty and great lunch box fare. Another hit with my kids were the chocolate zucchini muffins. Makes a bunch, and they also travel well. The peach cake is absolutely divine but a little rich for every day eating. We also like the cauliflower tacos and the chana masala with raita. I am planning to make that last one tonight for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living