Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,420,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I thought this was going to be about pots and pans, which have lately become very expensive to buy. I make do with a very old cast iron skillet and a few fairly decent saucepans with the teflon scrubbed off, and one old stainless steel yard-sale acquisition. Also an enameled covered roasting pan from WalMart.

As for the intended topic, I cook all my own meals in-house, at about $3 a day.
I cook most of my own food as well. I used to make my lunch at work, but my new office does not have a kitchen. I bring lunch from home, but occasionally when I forget and have to buy, I'm in sticker shock. Normally I bake my own bread or in a pinch, I'll buy it by the slice from the cafeteria. Sometimes I'll bring a jar of peanut butter and make a sandwich. I can't imagine how much I'd spend buying lunch every day.

Since being sick is more expensive than eating right, I try to eat nutritious and organic food. And home grown veggies as much as I can. So my food is usually expensive except in summer, but IMO worth it. Farmers work hard. But it still annoys me to pay $9 for a salad that is not even organic. Making food yourself at home is a good way to save $$

But OP What on earth?! That deviled egg recipe is AWFUL. No mayo? I've never made deviled eggs, but I love when people bring them for potlucks...The should have mayo and relish in them to kill the raw egg taste and be smooth and creamy... The first recipe listed turned me off so I didn't read the rest. The writer could even have used one of the eggs to make homemade mayo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I cook most of my own food as well. I used to make my lunch at work, but my new office does not have a kitchen. I bring lunch from home, but occasionally when I forget and have to buy, I'm in sticker shock. Normally I bake my own bread or in a pinch, I'll buy it by the slice from the cafeteria. Sometimes I'll bring a jar of peanut butter and make a sandwich. I can't imagine how much I'd spend buying lunch every day.

Since being sick is more expensive than eating right, I try to eat nutritious and organic food. And home grown veggies as much as I can. So my food is usually expensive except in summer, but IMO worth it. Farmers work hard. But it still annoys me to pay $9 for a salad that is not even organic. Making food yourself at home is a good way to save $$

But OP What on earth?! That deviled egg recipe is AWFUL. No mayo? I've never made deviled eggs, but I love when people bring them for potlucks...The should have mayo and relish in them to kill the raw egg taste and be smooth and creamy... The first recipe listed turned me off so I didn't read the rest. The writer could even have used one of the eggs to make homemade mayo...
There are six variations of the deviled egg recipe in the cookbook. Every single one of them includes 2 TBSP of mayonnaise. I like the chili-lime myself.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 PM

524 posts, read 844,525 times
Yum

Old 02-25-2016, 05:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,420,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There are six variations of the deviled egg recipe in the cookbook. Every single one of them includes 2 TBSP of mayonnaise. I like the chili-lime myself.
I'm too cheap to buy a book just to learn how to make deviled eggs...The link was for the PBS site. How to make food for under $4 or something. No mayo in that recipe.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm too cheap to buy a book just to learn how to make deviled eggs...The link was for the PBS site. How to make food for under $4 or something. No mayo in that recipe.
All six variations are listed in the link. I'll agree that the directions are not very clear, but you're supposed to pick your variation from the listed options and add the ingredients in step six.

BTW, you don't have to buy the book. Leanne Brown, the author, offers it as a free PDF on her website, which is the first link in the original post. Some people choose to buy the printed version, because she uses the profits to print additional copies that she distributes to those in need at no charge through food banks. But anybody regardless of their financial circumstances can download Good & Cheap and her second cookbook, called From Scratch. You can also find many of her recipes at her blog, also found on her website.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:59 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,639,634 times
Well, I find that the need to eat nutritious food kinda gets in my way of being "extremely" cheap. Now, I am not going to live off crummy, carb-laden junk like ramen. So, I am being cognizant of what is good nutrition for ME, I still come-in at about 5 bucks a day.

Sure, I could eat oatmeal for breakfast, ramen and tuna for lunch, beans and rice for dinner.....to me that is not a good way of eating, no thanks!!!!!

Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,135,703 times
I'll just add that I have bought cast iron, stainless, glass (Visions) and Teflon coated cookware at 2nd hand stores, works like new (actually the used cast iron tends to be better than new, particularly if new comes from China) frequently look like new, for really low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living