Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:17 PM

496 posts, read 412,494 times

Advertisements

This was a interesting challenge.

Breakfast

oatmeal
peanut butter
applesauce

All of the above were $1 each at the dollar store. A bowl of oatmeal with a dollop each of peanut butter and applesauce stirred in.

Lunch

eggs- .79 a dozen @ aldis
gherkin pickles -$1 a@ dollar store
romaine lettuce- $1.48 @ local wally world

Assuming I have some mayo, this makes egg salad lettuce cups for lunch for the week, with romaine and eggs left over for other meals.

Dinner
15 oz can spaghetti sauce -$1
bag of dried beans-$1
bag of pasta - .33 for a small bag
box of chopped, frozen spinach -.79

all of the above (except the spinach) are from the dollar store, spinach is from Aldis

thin spaghetti sauce with 2 or 3 cans of water, add cooked beans, cooked pasta and spinach. This makes a filling soup that would last me a week. I always have garlic, red pepper flakes and parm on hand, that makes it even tastier.

If my math is correct, this comes to $9.39. If I could shake another .60 out of my couch cushions, I would get a pack of cheap cookies (dollar store) to have with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack or dessert.

I saw plenty of other cheap meal options, cans of okra with tomatoes over rice, tuna on crackers, tuna with cream of mushroom soup and canned peas over noodles or rice, refried beans and salsa on a tortilla, etc. I sure wouldn't want to do this for long, but it was an interesting challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
I picked up #30 of frozen pork chops (3, 10lb boxes) this weekend.
$1/lb.

Some were small/odd cuts, and some were great for grilling.

I put some in the freezer (mostly good cuts) and baked the rest.

Then I canned them.

Tattler reuseable lids...
They went on the shelf next to the roast beef I bought (chuck roasts) for $3/lb.

Ones in the freezer are vacuum sealed ($8 thrift store sealer) next to the steaks I cut from my $2/lb sirloin. (Got the whole chunk of meat, cut my own steaks, kabobs, and a scrap of stew meat.)

....that's how I do it. (Yes, not $10/week. But prior planning prevents the need.)

Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,476,160 times
Rotisserie chicken on sale $4.99
Brown rice .99
dozen eggs 1.00
black beans. .69
mixed frozen veggies 1.
bread 1.

I generally on eat one egg at breakfast, so the eggs will go a long way for me. Chicken left overs will make a great huge pot of soup.

I am so happy I don't have to eat this way as I had to take away the cheese I wanted to use for grill cheese sandwiches. Sigh. maybe I'll switch out the black beans for a few slices of American cheese.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:54 PM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Most of the things on the OP's initial list would cost more than double that at my local discount grocery store. Yikes!

pound of rice - $1
2 pounds of chicken legs - $2 (on sale according to flyer)
tin of mushrooms - $1
whatever green is on sale - $1.50
oatmeal - $1
blackberries - $2 (on sale)
6 eggs - $1 (if you watch sales)

I'd just eat the same thing every day. Congee for lunch (cooking the rice in water with the whole bone-in chicken legs gives it body, greens and mushrooms give it some more nutrition), oatmeal with blackberries or whatever berry is on sale for breakfast, and tomago gohan (rice with raw egg stirred in while piping hot) for dinenr. Spices and such would be helpful, but I guess not essential. I add soy sauce, pepper, ginger (can be bought for under .50c for a big knob, then individual portions grated and kept in the freezer), and 5 spice to my congee and tomago gohan, and cinnamon and brown sugar to my oatmeal.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:18 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,959,296 times
Bag of flour $1.60
Bag frozen mixed veggies .99
Box of pasta .99
bone-in chicken thighs or legs, whatever is on sale 4.00
Carton of eggs 1.29
Onion .29
Margarine .59

With these ingredients, I could make pasta w/ tomato sauce, chicken & vegetables w/dumplings, chicken noodle soup, pancakes, veggie frittata, chicken pot pie. It would be nice to squeeze in some fresh fruit, but $10 doesn't cover much.

I have lived on $20 a week for a family of 2 before - it isn't easy, but if you are creative, it can be done.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 PM

8,056 posts, read 10,654,744 times
A carton of eggs, small bag or box of rice, a few potatoes, a can of chicken, a can of tuna, a can or tomato soup (store brand), a cheap loaf of bread, small amount of American cheese at the deli (for grilled cheese, assuming there is already butter in the house.)

I have had go a week on $10.00 for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living