Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

i loved all my bmw's so you won't get me talking you out of them . but the lower end models are meh . they really are not what bmw's are about . i mean the sump from a 328I to a 330 was so night and day i would never buy a bmw then if i could not at least start at the 330 . the 328i was meh .....the 330 had head snapping acceleration fabulous handling in comparison and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:13 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Good point RE: the bolded.

Man I keep trying to make myself like the Prius...I know they are basically the ultimate frugality vehicle. I don't want to say how I feel about the looks of that car...I need to move my mentality past that part and focus on the reliability and potential cost savings I guess??

Gotta say it. I love my CRV.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Quote:
Good point RE: the bolded.

Man I keep trying to make myself like the Prius...I know they are basically the ultimate frugality vehicle. I don't want to say how I feel about the looks of that car...I need to move my mentality past that part and focus on the reliability and potential cost savings I guess??
That is such a spot on descriptive Prius tagline I never thought about!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i loved all my bmw's so you won't get me talking you out of them .
Yes but you're happily retired with lots of disposable income which the OP aspires to as well. I don't imagine you had a BMW at the OP's life stage?

Old 08-05-2018, 10:17 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Here's a good little speech that touches on that.
^Love it...thanks for posting that!

Old 08-05-2018, 10:18 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The one I had years ago was in the shop a lot...got rid of it.
My BMW was the only car I've ever owned that emptied my bank account. It overheated on me and I pulled over right away. Just in that short amount of time it warped both the block and heads. They couldn't find any reason why it overheated but I got a real lesson on what a replacement motor costs. After that it was constantly breaking down and I couldn't get rid of it soon enough. Every single part on that thing was at least double compared to the Honda I had before it.

Was it a good looking car? Yes. Was it fun to drive? Yes. Was it worth it to own, oh heck no. I'll never have another one. A notch below it was my other german cars I tried out. All german all expensive to repair.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
That is such a spot on descriptive Prius tagline I never thought about!
^Edited my original posting to say frugalmobile but you guys quote me too fast

Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
How much will your auto insurance be?

Will you pay property tax on it?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
^Edited my original posting to say frugalmobile but you guys quote me too fast
I like Ultimate Frugality Machine if we're talking about BMWs and Priuses haha.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
So I've been totally car-less for 6.5 years now.

Only issue is I moved back to a city that is very car-centric. For the past year and a half I've been back, it's worked out just fine because I work from home.

This is my first year tracking every single dollar spent in my budget using Mint and I've found I've been spending ~$220/month in ridesharing (i.e., Lyft rides). Not "too" bad IMO.

However, I have found that since moving back here without a car, I don't really see my friends much anymore, and I have been avoiding taking the 4-hour (one-way) drive home to see my mother because of the added cost of renting a car. It kinda defeats the purpose of me being back in this city to be closer to friends/family if I'm going to continue losing out on so much time with them because I don't want to spend $40 on just one 60 minute round-trip Lyft ride to see one friend or $150 for a weekend car rental to see my mother in the neighboring state. As this could add up fast, I basically keep my ridesharing expenses only to places very close (grocery stores, doctor appointments, occasional meeting up with friends that isn't too too far).

With all of that said, I am nearing closer and closer to the decision of buying a car. For years now I was set on an Accord Coupe (think 2008-2010 models) and a budget under $10k. ($5k-$9k?) But it's looking like I could get a BMW around the same year for around the same price. I love the looks of those cars and I figure since I've never had a car payment ever and will also purchase this car cash, why not get what I really want? The other part of me says this is just an itch and leaning into "keeping up with the Joneses" territory which I have been avoiding for years like the plague. I think part of me wants a little 40th birthday treat for next year as well-I've been telling myself I could always sell the car and downgrade later if I want.

Being happy with less is very important to me. In a general sense, I am but I'm sure some can relate to the feeling I'm having about this. The Accord is obviously the better decision due to upfront costs but also moreso because I understand BMWs are horribly expensive maintenance-wise...and I know nothing about cars TBH. So. I could use some reminders of the importance of making the right/most frugal decisions when it comes to a major purchase like this one.
I’ve owned plenty of both Honda and BMW. The BMW is much more fun, but they start to cost a lot at about 75k , in my experience. For me, the thrill of a new car goes away in a year. But the thrill of a frugal purchase lasts the lifetime of the car. In Honda’s case, up to 15 years.

If you are the type of person who doesn’t experience the thrill of a frugal purchase, get the bmw. Otherwise, get the Honda, because you will be kicking yourself once the new factor wears off with the bmw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living