Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:50 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times

Advertisements

BMW = Bring My Wallet for repairs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 04:14 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Food id nothing more than subsistence to survive. Don't go chasing the illusion that your food should taste good and have a variety of it. Pleasure is a no no. Last time I checked, food dissolves all the same despite taste and variety. If someone judges you on this and offers you a tasty meal, this is not the kind of person you need in your life.

Yes, you will need to eat without gagging it up, but beyond such basic level of taste, put your money into things you really could not care less about, but at least your money is going towards something you will take no pleasure out of. After all, when you die, you can use your savings to have a very nice funeral.

Not a very good retort since my original advice was to save that money for experiences. Last time I checked, a BMW drives just about the same in rush hour traffic--Atlanta, no less--as a Honda.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Not a very good retort since my original advice was to save that money for experiences. Last time I checked, a BMW drives just about the same in rush hour traffic--Atlanta, no less--as a Honda.
So, driving a BMW is not an experience? He is only ever, in his life, drive the car around Atlanta in rush hour traffic? Maybe he has an interest besides utilitarian in cars?

Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Good point RE: the bolded.

Man I keep trying to make myself like the Prius...I know they are basically the ultimate frugalmobile. I don't want to say how I feel about the looks of that car...I need to move my mentality past that part and focus on the reliability and potential cost savings I guess??
Oh yes... You need to wear a mask / costume when driving a Prius, and quickly hide in the garage before anyone sees you coming home!

My neighbor has been driving them since day 1, and he was SO happy to get his Tesla 3 last week (just due to how embarrassing it was to be seen in a Prius. He usually only drove it during the dark if at all possible.

That's an option, Maybe you could get the Prius an 'Edsel or Studebaker' Costume or something similar.

BMW can be a VERY nice and dependable car, but... if something goes wrong (and stuff does go wrong) you will PAY for it... Since it is a used one, get recommendations on local shops (Private) and go talk to them. I see the BILLS and the number of times co-workers / neighbors BMW's are in the shop... Not for me yet (until AFTER I have won a few lotto's, and I get really mellow about sitting in car repair shops...(never have done this) )

Old 08-05-2018, 10:25 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Get a Hyundai or a Kia. Nobody mods them and nobody steals them. And the newer ones are pretty decent. You could even buy a newer one for the same amount you plan on spending. Forget the BMW. Never own a German car out of warranty. They are money pits and you'll soon regret it.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i loved all my bmw's so you won't get me talking you out of them . but the lower end models are meh . they really are not what bmw's are about . i mean the sump from a 328I to a 330 was so night and day i would never buy a bmw then if i could not at least start at the 330 . the 328i was meh .....the 330 had head snapping acceleration fabulous handling in comparison and
I can't help talk OP out of a BMW. I love my 323ci. I guess that wouldn't be good enough for you, but I LOVE it.

Not sorry I scratched that itch, except now to me any car I can afford sucks, lol. The BMW is in purgatory. It needs 5K of work. But hey, it's a 2000 model. Not bad to drive it for 15 years. Didn't cost a mint to maintain it until 2015.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Get a Hyundai or a Kia. Nobody mods them and nobody steals them. And the newer ones are pretty decent. You could even buy a newer one for the same amount you plan on spending. Forget the BMW. Never own a German car out of warranty. They are money pits and you'll soon regret it.
I will say that though I don't like the style of it, I inherited my mother's Hyundai and it's a really good car. For her it was GREAT. She likes the style (large sedan, I call it 'floaty boaty' the way it handles - ugh for a person who likes sporty), and she got a very reliable car with every bell and whistle (for that year model) for 10K or less.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 AM

772 posts, read 913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Good point RE: the bolded.

Man I keep trying to make myself like the Prius...I know they are basically the ultimate frugalmobile. I don't want to say how I feel about the looks of that car...I need to move my mentality past that part and focus on the reliability and potential cost savings I guess??
I couldn't get over the looks either. If your like me, you will never be happy with a Prius. Check out a Camry. and depending on your budget, they make a Hybrid Camry that can get above 40 mpg.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Here you go:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...car-ownership/

A car is nothing more than transportation. Don't go chasing the illusion of status based on the car you drive around. Last time I checked, the speed limit on the interstate is still 70mph, regardless of the car you drive. And if someone judges you on the car you drive, then that's someone you don't need to have in your life. Call it a litmus test.

Yes, have something that is pleasant to drive, but beyond a basic level of reliability and comfort, put your money into things that don't completely depreciate in a matter of a few years. Save your money for things that feed your mind and spirit. And, despite all the advertising that promises otherwise, a BMW isn't one of them.

My wife and I could afford a nicer model made by either Mercedes, BMW, or Audi. What do I drive? A Honda CR/V. She drives a Toyota Camry. We'd rather bank our money.
Same here I drive a Camry....my second....can’t beat it, reliable, comfortable....
though I’m seeing more and more BMW’s on the road these days...
people buy them for the “status” ....same with other German cars...Mercedes...Audi...

Buy a Camry and bank your money...or better still ...Amazon and Apple stock

Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
never buy a BMW that's out of warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living