Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:36 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Here's an answer. Get a Prius and super glue a BMW medallion to the front. Problem solved.
Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Wouldn't the Accord pretty much be in the same class price-wise as the Camry?
Yes, it is.

My husband drives BMW's. 5 series. In fact, he just got a new one last week (gave his old one to my son in law). I don't really like driving them, myself. I liked the 1st one he got, but the other's just felt
uncomfortable to drive to me.

If you get one, make sure there is a local mechanic who can work on the car, don't take it to a dealership unless you want to spend $$$.

You'll pay more for gas, as you know because they take mid-grade.

Personally, if you want a luxury car I'd get a Lexus because they are basically upscale Toyotas.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:10 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Normally I would say get the Honda, but there is some missing information here, how many miles on the Honda vs the BMW, plus, if you buy the BMW how much cash cushion do you have? You know the BWM will cost more when it's time for repairs, so cash position is important. You seem to be a simple person in that you said you could be happy with less. For most people who don't live like that, I would say to buy the Honda. For you I might say the BMW, but again, we need more info.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:43 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I have driven a Beemer a few time as rental cars. As much as their fan club likes to squeal over the things like so many teen-aged girls, they are not the end-all, be-all, epoch-shattering driving experience that people claim. Certainly not worth the extra expense it costs to buy, maintain, and ensure one.
Speaking strictly for myself, I'm not taking advice on cars from a handle like MinivanDriver.

As I mentioned upthread I found a nice late model used Bimmer, added new Koni's and fresh spark plugs. My Total Cost of Ownership is under $8K and I'm riding in style. When you can do that in a Prius.....let me know.

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 08-06-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
LOL...my reaction to your post title was "Buy a Honda and tape $30,000 to the hood".

I don't think a used BMW is a good investment. Repairs would be too much. have you actually looked at the BMWs in your price range? I'm wondering if they would be as nice (and therefore worth extra) than you think.

I see that you mentioned the Prius...I just bought my second one and I'm really hooked. It's roomy and comfortable, handles nicely, accelerates better than you might think and during recent highway travel got 50 mpg. I had considered a Honda Civic but ultimately wanted the hatchback for more cargo space.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,889 times
Yes, a Camry or Prius is very similar to a BMW and their Total Cost of Ownership is much cheaper. Oh wait....

https://charleston.craigslist.org/ct...661819664.html

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 08-06-2018 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh yes... You need to wear a mask / costume when driving a Prius, and quickly hide in the garage before anyone sees you coming home!

My neighbor has been driving them since day 1, and he was SO happy to get his Tesla 3 last week (just due to how embarrassing it was to be seen in a Prius. He usually only drove it during the dark if at all possible.

That's an option, Maybe you could get the Prius an 'Edsel or Studebaker' Costume or something similar.

BMW can be a VERY nice and dependable car, but... if something goes wrong (and stuff does go wrong) you will PAY for it... Since it is a used one, get recommendations on local shops (Private) and go talk to them. I see the BILLS and the number of times co-workers / neighbors BMW's are in the shop... Not for me yet (until AFTER I have won a few lotto's, and I get really mellow about sitting in car repair shops...(never have done this) )
My favorite thing about the Prius is the reaction it can get from “haters”. For some a Prius is like a big F-you to vanity and status while being very practical, reliable and cheap to operate. If anyone cares to ask why - I just tell the truth; I like to save money.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:07 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Why should anyone 'talk' you into or out of a car purchase? You're an adult, you're working, you get to make decisions on what to do and how to spend your money.

If you want a certain car and you have the money to buy it, then have at it and enjoy!

No one else can make life decisions for you, nor should anyone else be called upon to talk you into or out of things, as you know yourself and your needs and wants.

All the logic in the world isn't going to assuage you of something you want. You're not asking about basic transportation and how to get from Point A to Point B in the most cost efficient way. This is a want based on desire and emotion. Those are never about logic.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
I couldn't get over the looks either. If your like me, you will never be happy with a Prius. Check out a Camry. and depending on your budget, they make a Hybrid Camry that can get above 40 mpg.
I have a Prius C. It looks like a Toyota Yaris (same platform), a Honda Fit, a Nissan Versa Note, or basically any other hatchback out there.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I see that you mentioned the Prius...I just bought my second one and I'm really hooked. It's roomy and comfortable, handles nicely, accelerates better than you might think and during recent highway travel got 50 mpg. I had considered a Honda Civic but ultimately wanted the hatchback for more cargo space.
I got mine in 2015. I've never been happier with a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living