Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:51 PM

748 posts, read 820,343 times

Advertisements

If you work for 40 years and you can't have nice things, seriously what were you doing all that time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Haha I’m baffled by my own company sometimes. I worked my tail off the last two years, I spent so many sleepless nights thinking of how to turn things around, grow the business, anything I could imagine. By the end of two years I felt like I had just wasted my time with little to show for it. So I told my sales lady / top employee I’m either going to shut down the company or she needs to take over the day to day work so I can pursue my larger dreams (filmmaking, specifically screenwriting and directing). She agreed to take over and said she wanted to do it so I’d feel less frustrated. And somehow against any sort of logic despite working about 5 hours a week at the company, it’s a record year through August.

I think maybe the reality is our business is tougher to grow than I expected so my best bet is probably to keep expenses under control and maximize profits. It may not lead to a great income but it’s capable of sustaining very solid levels. If there’s some secret for our particular business in growing much larger, we certainly haven’t figured it out. I don’t feel too bad though, a major venture-capital funded company TurnHere partnered with Yellow Pages and entered our space many years ago trying to undercut us and had vastly more substantial resources in every respect but they only lasted a few years before folding - they figured out what we already knew lol which is that the key to success in our market is to keep costs exceedingly low. That’s why we work from home and stay lean. We couldn’t survive otherwise. Probably says something about the business, but oh well. It is what it is, I’m a mixture of proud and disappointed depending how I look at it.
i guess if you arent able to make it grow more then better to have someone babysit it for you while you collect some income.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:44 AM

198 posts, read 71,769 times
Who knows what she sacrificed throughout her life to save enough money to buy her dream? Some people get an idea in their head and they make sure they get what they desire the most.

Save, save, save. If you can't inherit.

Maybe it's inspiration interpreted as jealousy.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
It's jealousy for sure and it's a normal emotion when someone has more money than you and can buy something you cannot. If it weren't jealousy, that person wouldn't have made that comment at all.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:35 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
In this particular scenario I would also say she was jealous of your coworker.

However, I wanted to mention that people buy luxury goods for all sorts of reasons. Have you ever driven in a more expensive car? Typically they are made better in many areas. Better sound insulation, better standard features, nicer all around drive. I can see someone buying one to have the premium experience if they can afford it. Someone who buys one on a car payment is straight up showing off though.

Another note is that some luxury items are used to STORE WEALTH. Many people don't realize that rich people don't buy $15million paintings because they like looking at them. It's really to hold their wealth in an asset that won't depreciate. Typically one of a kind items like paintings will appreciate in value over time so it's another way for the rich to store their wealth and hedge against currency fluctuations and/or their other investments. That's another reason why artists collections typically sky rocket after death. No more supply = Higher returns

Old 06-05-2022, 06:11 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,760 times
I don't think the retiring lady necessarily needed to reveal to her coworkers that she just bought an oceanfront condo in OC. Everyone knows that is going to incite jealousy in others. Why not just say, "I'm going to spend a lot of time in OC" or "I'm thinking of relocating to OC permanently" or "I bought a condo in OC". She didn't need to specify that it's an oceanfront condo. That is kind of rubbing it in.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:51 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So we had a retirement party at my job today. Nice lady (I didn't know her well) worked 40 years in my division but in another building. we always chatted about Ocean city NJ which is one of our favorite places.

Anyhoo, of course talk turned to what she'll do in retirement, she mentioned that she just purchased an Oceanfront condo in OC and chit chat went on.

Well at lunch a coworker who I do know fairly well said, You know "jean" brought that condo just to show off.

What the heck?? so I asked "what do you mean" and got people who buy oceanfront condo's do it for the "status".

At first I just kinda thought "ok, low blood sugar has kicked in" but then I got to thinking, I do read that line of thinking a lot. People who have big houses, or if someone buys a luxury car.

This is just my brain rattling around. Do we really think people who purchase luxury items do so for the "status" or could a little bit of the green monster be rearing it's ugly head.

lol, I did admit to jealousy, I would love, love love to have a place at the beach. it's my retirement dream but I'd like to think I'd still be happy for someone who achieved their dream.
I’m skeptical of those office types that work 40 years in the same position in the same office. We had a few of them get awards in a place I used to work at. Imagine 40 years being a paper pusher… pushing the exact same paper…

I digress… when those folks finally retire, I mostly feel like whatever they can afford to do from that point onwards is great - but I also worry that they will have no idea what to do when they wake up next week and don’t have paperwork to stamp and photocopy.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:56 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Quote:
So we had a retirement party at my job today. Nice lady (I didn't know her well) worked 40 years in my division but in another building. we always chatted about Ocean city NJ which is one of our favorite places.

Anyhoo, of course talk turned to what she'll do in retirement, she mentioned that she just purchased an Oceanfront condo in OC and chit chat went on.

Well at lunch a coworker who I do know fairly well said, You know "jean" brought that condo just to show off.

What the heck?? so I asked "what do you mean" and got people who buy oceanfront condo's do it for the "status".

At first I just kinda thought "ok, low blood sugar has kicked in" but then I got to thinking, I do read that line of thinking a lot. People who have big houses, or if someone buys a luxury car.

This is just my brain rattling around. Do we really think people who purchase luxury items do so for the "status" or could a little bit of the green monster be rearing it's ugly head.

lol, I did admit to jealousy, I would love, love love to have a place at the beach. it's my retirement dream but I'd like to think I'd still be happy for someone who achieved their dream.
I cannot imagine being jealous.

I have a cousin that is a millionaire, several friends that also wealthy. I'm just plain old fed retired with SS an a modest pension.

Good for those who can buy a condo and realize their dreams.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:26 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,857 times
Quote:

Your coworker is a gossip, and the correct response is to ignore such nastiness. Reach for your dream. A condo on the beach sounds lovely, and I wish you all the best in getting there.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:10 AM

425 posts, read 191,571 times
Quote:

It could be a little of both. I love the ocean too so could see loving to have a Condo in that location

There is a huge percentage of people who buy things for status. They often lie too.

I don't waste much time on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living