Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:53 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

It doesn't sound like money is an issue so giving the toys and kid things to a family or families with kids might make it easier to get rid of that stuff.

Don't look at all the stuff that needs to go. It's over-whelming.

Just pick something, either one room or one type of thing (toys will go this month; unused kitchen stuff goes next month, etc)

You might pick one room for keepers. Then after all the other stuff is gone, put all the 'keepers' in the trash.

and if you can't afford to move, redecorating might help with the memories. Nothing like a coat of paint and new sofa to make it just yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Personally, I would get rid of most everything except the photos and maybe a few toys. No one wants the trophies unless there is something super special that was won. You can donate or toss those. Old baby beds, car seats and high chairs need to be thrown away. They will not be considered safe anymore. Donate the rest of the furniture. I might pick one or two toys that the boys loved when they were little. They've forgotten about most of that. If mom kept any of their old baby clothes and blankets, those can go.

If you aren't using the tools, I would sell or donated and get back to the basics. One toolbox with hammers drill, screwdrivers and a few other items is really the most needed for basic home repair. The rest is just clutter that you may have bought for one time use or old projects you don't do anymore. If you really need a tool that bad, you can buy another one.

I assume you are living in the old house, you shared with your family. Maybe it it is time to sell that and move on. That's something you know I don't. I've found that I have to hold on to stuff for years and when I finally let it go, I was free. I could move on and do things I needed without feeling the responsibility for other people. Moving has forced me to make a choice to purge and discard things that were no longer right for me or my family.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Read "The Magic of Tidying" by Marie Kondo. It's a tiny little book, and honestly it will free you from the bondage of all your "stuff".

It's not about how to arrange your stuff in containers, as some thing - it's about getting rid of stuff you don't want and feeling great about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing.../dp/1607747308

Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Give it to me

Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Give it to me
Tell me when you can show up with a truck.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:33 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
First, I was married with children but after 23 yrs my wife decided to move out followed years later with divorce. The boys are grown young men now and on their own. Everyone has moved away but me.
We had a pretty full life and she collected things that we had planned to keep forever: kids toy sets, toddler furniture, sport trophies,wedding, vacation and family albums and much more.
It's been 7 years of living alone in the house full of memorable things but I don't use them anymore and they are sort of painful memories of good times gone.
I've struggled with what to do with all this stuff that is collected in the attic and their rooms.
At the end of last year, I did finally just load up about 2 truck bed loads of stuff, mostly mine, and drop it at the goodwill. Afterwards, I felt pretty good.

By nature, I don't like clutter but I'm surrounded by it. I even have lots of stuff in the garage including tools and various shop supplies used over the years.
Sometimes, I wish I'd get back to the spartan lifestyle I live when I was young. You know, everything I owned could be thrown in the back of my enclosed bed of my pickup truck if I wanted to move.
I know and have read of the 3 month rule but I hate just throwing stuff away.
I notified my boys that they should get the stuff thats important to them or ask their mom if she wants it but they live across the state and the other lives 4 states away ;besides the boys have no where to keep it.

I'm at a struggle of what to do because it feels like an anchor around me with all this stuff I'm just keeping.
I want to feel free of all this stuff.
You have four choices on each item. Keep it, sell it, throw it away or give it away. Give away can be through freecycle.org or Craigslist. CL for selling. Ebay is a good place to sell vintage tools.

https://www.freecycle.org/

Old 10-27-2018, 03:09 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
Congratulations!

Believe it or not, EVERY SINGLE PERSON has to learn how to let go.

The beautiful thing about letting go is that life will soon fill up the empty space
with something that you need and want. You have no idea what it is, but it will
find it's way to you. If you had not cleared it all out, than the good thing or
situation that is now on it's way to you would never arrive. There would be no
space for it. Letting go equals growth.

I too was carrying and storing the goods of other people. It has been 3 yrs.
and I am still purging. I donated and sold all that I could, at first it was hard but
then it felt so good. Recently I noticed that I could still keep purging, I found a
consignment shop and they came out and took a bunch of furniture from me to
sell. Some of it was a very nice bedroom set, I ended up going online and ordering
a very inexpensive new platform bed. I put the bed together and it looks great!
It is ten times more comfortable than my old bed, and I am so glad that I bought
it. I paid less than 200 bucks and it shipped to my door. I paid over a grand for
the old bedroom set 11 yrs. ago, and I am so relieved it is finally gone.

I found another consignment shop and I am now currently boxing up a ton of
stuff to take over to get rid of. Looking at all the stuff on my floor that was
previously taking up valuable closet space makes me realize how much I just don't
need or want any of it. Symbolically I am also hoping that clearing out the stuff
and then giving my little tiny house a very good cleaning will help clear my mind
out as well. I have so much to learn and I am not getting any younger.

Sometimes for inspiration I will go into a wealthy neighborhood in town and I
will drive around looking at the homes. There is one home where you can see
inside some, the space is clear and beautiful. Then when I go into the consignment
shop, it is all clutter and stuff. I feel like all of those people who parted with all of
that stuff feel the same way I do, relieved.
Not wanting to sidetrack this thread, but can you tell me where you ordered platform beds (does this include the mattress?) for $200? I am moving soon, and not taking my old mattresses/bed frames. This is also what I am hoping to do for new beds. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2018, 03:01 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Some things you can't even give away. I have a computer monitor which works, and has built in speakers.
So far I have been unable to give it away.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We had friends down-sizing and moving. They were overwhelmed with way too much stuff.

They hired a service that came in and held an estate sale for them. They tagged everything and handled all the details.. The sale lasted 3 days.

I don't know what the friends paid for the service but they were pleased with the results. What wasn't sold was dealt with by the service...

Easy-peasy..in 3 days it was all cleaned up and they kept what they wanted for their new place....

Old 10-29-2018, 03:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,165 times
Letting go of things with sentimental value is always tough. If they make you feel bad, then it's definitely time to let go. Sorting through them alone, however, is not recommended. You can ask a friend or two to help even just for emotional support. Hiring a service also sounds good if you feel comfortable letting strangers go through your things. Some people may have a problem with that. Whatever you decide, better act on it quick. Postponing will only make you feel agitated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living