Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So using cash will prevent impulse buying?
Can, if you have issues with it. You have to choose between your needs vs your impulses. Hopefully, you choose your needs.

Years ago I worked in retail at a large department store. I got to see shopping as an addiction up close. It’s awful. And retaliation shopping.

While I worked there, silver prices went sky high, affecting sterling flatware. A teaspoon was several hundred dollars. A service for 8 with serving pieces was 12-15 thousand.

A woman came in and demanded to see the most expensive sterling sets, and ordered a whole service of Kirk Repousse, and while putting the deposit down said her husband had “done something” and was now going to pay for it. Thankfully one of the older more experienced clerks stepped in, I was in over my head.

Seeing this while I was younger is why I look at the term “retail therapy” in a completely different, totally not humorous light.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:41 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
I use my Blue Preferred AMEX card on groceries to get 6% cash back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 05:46 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It might if she's budgeted, say, $150 and that's all she has with her. I will occasionally see that. People will get to the checkout, watch the total and then start excluding items.

I personally think the best way is to have a written list and then stick to it.
I agree with the written list. Although, mine is usually mental, not actually written.

You can do the same thing and still use bank cards. Just stick to the $150 budget. If you do go over, don't worry about it. You don't need to exclude any items. You still have a chance to correct it. Just delay your next shopping trip and stretch out the food to last. The only time I exclude an item, is if it costs more than I expected to pay for it. Which is very rare.

I save money on my food budget, three ways. 1. By buying as much as possible when an item is on sale. It's not uncommon for me to buy more than 50 of a sale item. It just means more time before I need to shop again. 2. By eating less, when I'm not particularly hungry. If my appetite is low, I eat a smaller meal, or if it is convenient, I even skip one meal. 3. No impulse buying at all. I have a grocery list and I buy what is on the list. That is all.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:52 PM

605 posts, read 335,628 times
Cash always in stores. I have tricks I use to get my bill down. Might be un-ethical, who knows.

My 3 loyalty card accounts for many stores which provide alot more digital coupons.

1. Scan weekly sale ads for 3 stores within walking distance of each other
2. Go online to stores website. Match any digital manufacturer coupons to the sales.
3. Use whatever coupons they have offered me such as $5 off of $15.
4. Shop on the rare days the entire store is 20% off.
5. Stop at recycle bin, pull out a ton of glossy manufacturer coupons. Only cut out $1 and above
6. Sign up for their loyalty card using temp email. Get an additional new customer bonus coupon.

My list consists of whatever is healthy and on sale, often buying in bulk. Weekly shopping is often at the 3 local health food stores and what we eat is whatever I see on sale. Often there are great sales. Then to Grocery outlet with my usual $3 off of $25 (they don't take coupons otherwise) then buy their marked down grass fed beef, and organic produce which is often marked down too. We'll juice it if it has a shorter exp date.

Today, I bought:
10 cans of Starkist Tuna in water
2 cans of Blue Diamond Walnuts
3 bottles of the orginal Tobasco Sauce (5 ounces)

All for $11.23 cents at one store. I also have many bucks to use for the next shopping trip accumulated on the order BEFORE the coupons were presented.

My husband went with me and got in another line with his own coupons.

He bought:
20 paper towels
24 rolls of Tp
15 organic yogurt cups
1 large bottle of organic xtra virgin olive oil
batteries
5 cans of organic soup
3 bottles of sulfate free shampoo, 2 conditioners
6 packs of expensive razors

He spent about $28 and there is more credit bucks earned
too from that order not factored in.

I didn't realize couponing was this easy. The internet makes it so easy to collect coupons on one page and print out.

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 10-27-2018 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 05:54 PM

251 posts, read 311,646 times
Credit (Cap One Venture Rewards) card for everything to get travel miles and other cards for 5% categories. I have a great budget so I don't overspend. In fact, I even hate to call it a budget because it sounds to restrictive. "System" sounds much better.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I usually pay with debit card because that is what the family bookkeeper prefers.

We have one cashback credit card though. I think we do use it at Costco.

I think using cash for groceries would cumbersome. In fact, I don’t normally carry much cash around.
I agree, plus having to remove items at the checkout stand because you don't have enough money to pay for it is... awkward, if not outright embarrassing. It's better to just stick to your grocery list, and if you do go over your budget (which will happen sometimes) work that out later. If everything in your cart is on your list, it's stuff you need anyway.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I use cash or credit card. I would never write a check for groceries. It holds up the line and it's a bit antiquated anyway.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
While I worked there, silver prices went sky high, affecting sterling flatware. A teaspoon was several hundred dollars. A service for 8 with serving pieces was 12-15 thousand.

A woman came in and demanded to see the most expensive sterling sets, and ordered a whole service of Kirk Repousse, and while putting the deposit down said her husband had “done something” and was now going to pay for it. Thankfully one of the older more experienced clerks stepped in, I was in over my head. t.
I don't see how they could stop her from making a purchase. Regardless of the reasons she's making it. Her husband doesn't have any say in what she buys. This sounds like something from the 1950s, "little lady, we need your husband's permission for you to buy that." Uh, no, not these days.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It might, if they have a limit. It's too easy to 'add a little' to a credit card. The only "impulse" buying I do is if I see something I know I need but it didn't make the list. Especially since I've been unemployed!
I think the only impulse buying problem I have is in the bakery department. I solved that problem, by simply staying out of the bakery. I haven't even walked into a store bakery in probably two years.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:42 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I only use a credit card for groceries, so I can get the cash back bonus. I pay off the entire balance every month, of course. I go with a list in hand (the list grows as I take the last one of something off the shelf and open it), paper coupons in an envelope, and digital coupons loaded to my loyalty card. I like to "stack" deals: sale + paper coupon + digital coupon. Both my grocery stores double coupons up to $1.00. Sometimes I also get a Saving Star bonus. I also only shop approximately once a month. Less time spent in the store, less exposure to impulse items. Works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living