Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:42 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times

Advertisements

I pay ~$10 a month for 2GB LTE and 2G throttled speeds when that runs out (AT&T towers) plus unlimited talk and text (through provided VOIP app, although I use Google Voice for that). I buy the three month Unreal Mobile sim card from bestbuy.com as it's cheaper than using the service through Unreal Mobile's site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I have a pretty cheap Tracfone............just refilled my phone, 90 days for about 23 bucks.

It is not a lot of talk/text/internet, but just enough to get by. I jack-in to free-WIFI as much as possible to save my internet minutes.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:07 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
That is a lot. Cell phone should be communication purpose only, like making a phone call, sending a text message, and sending emails. I know it does more these day, but do you really need it all that extra stuff? My answer is no. You can go home and stream video.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:21 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
If you have served in the military, T-Mobile has their Military One plan. I have three lines with unlimited talk/text/web, plus a fourth line that is data only for my husband's tablet. We pay $100 per month.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:27 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I pay $27 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 1 gig of data via H2O Wireless (runs on AT&T network). If I wanted unlimited text, I'd be paying $45 a month. So, yes, your seem to be well overpaying for your plans!

Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
I pay about $110 for unlimited talk and text and I think 5 GB of data, which includes a $1 payment for one of our phones and $5 for a data cap that keeps us from going over the limit. It's not a bargain, but it's not bad and I have service everywhere I typically go which most other providers in this area can't match. And even with all the things we can do with our phones now, at the end of the day the main reason I have one is so that I can call for help if my car breaks down on some deserted road so that's worth quite a bit.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:37 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Simple Mobile has prepaid, unlimited talk & text (within USA and to about 70 other countries) and 3 gig data for $25 / month. If you sign up with their autopay, it drops to $20. This runs on T-Mobile network. You can also use your phone in many other countries without needing to change SIM card for no extra charge.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:54 AM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
We've had great luck with Twigby. They use the Sprint lines with Verizon as a backup. You choose the number of Talk and Data high speed minutes you want, and unlimited Text is included without any additional charge.

They have overage protection separately for Talk and Data that you choose. For Talk that will allow you to either have more minutes if you go over by charging you at the next tier or it will stop you from going over your minutes. If you go over your Data minutes, you can either be charged at the next level or be bumped down to slow speed for no charge for the remainder of your billing period.

My cell phone bill is $14 monthly which includes tax and required gov't. fees. I have the 300 Talk minutes with 200MB of Data. We just got rid of the house phone so I'm going unlimited Talk, which will be an additional $4 monthly for a total of around $18 monthly.

This month we switched our home phone number over to my husband's cell phone. Twigby is giving him their 6-month promo of 25% off, which will be a monthly total of $12 plus a tiny amount of tax and gov't fees (which we estimate at $2 based on past bills) for unlimited Talk and Text plus 200MB high speed Data. His total will be $14 monthly for those 6 months, making our total monthly bill for two cell phones $32 with both having unlimited Talk and Text plus 200MB high speed data.

Porting the number from our old carrier was a real pain because our old carrier didn't want to give it up, but the Twigby people were fantastic. They really went above and beyond to get it right. It's always easy to talk to someone at Twigby quickly because they have online chat and they're very helpful. I can't say enough good things about them.

We'll be saving close to $45 monthly by dropping the home phone because of all of the gov't fees. We upgraded our internet at the same time, but if we hadn't, we would have saved even more.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,955 times
mint mobile is $15/month unlimited talk and text and 2 gb data.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:47 AM

740 posts, read 456,639 times
I once had 6 GB of Data thinking I needed it. Now, I share 2 GB of Data and I can't even used it up. Reason: I'm either at work or at home, I can use the office or home internet. Only time I ever use data is when I'm out shopping or doing errands...turns out I don't used as much Data as I thought I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living