Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 04:19 PM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times

Advertisements

My mother went into a nursing home for around 3 years before passing. It ranged from $8,000 to $12,000 per month. The state requires homes to tack on an additional 30% the first 3 months, which I suspect was done at the behest of nursing home owners (doctors, lawyers).

They basically want to "front load" their income so that once grannie or grandpa run out of money, they can offer assistance, having gotten all of the money ahead of time. It wipes out inheritances. The CNAs certainly weren't raking in the dough what with $13/hour wages.

But my father had saved for her care once he passed and it worked. The money lasted up to the end with only about one month cash remaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
MIL is in a facility which offers small apartments with kitchenette, balcony and covered parking. She has the option of three meals buffet and served or none, transportation and trained medical staff on site. Runs around 3k.
FIL was in a care facility in NJ for a month last fall for around 10-12k. Similar set up in GA was 7-8k.

What are you really looking. Pay in, services, insurance payments - it is a jungle. You will find more answers in the caregiving forum.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Question, please" Other than what we who live in our own homes independently, is there a special type of "home" called Independent Living, as there is the "a
Assisted Living" type? In other words, is there another step between owning or renting a house/apartment and living privately with no interference and Assisted Living?

Gee! I hope that makes sense! Thanks. Hazel
My mother is 90, and she is in an apartment that provides 1 meal a day (lunch) and rooms have the emergency fall pull devices. There are low income requirements, and it's about $800/month. This is on the Olympic Penninsula, WA state. We found it by looking for senior apartments.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Thank you. That is exactly the picture I was getting from what I read. And for all this they literally give up their freedom of action. That might be fine for someone who actually needs daily medical care - serious medical care - but not otherwise. And the whole family gets hit with costs that maybe they can't afford either. I appreciate your answer.
I don't think that assisted living is a good fit for people who need serious daily medical care. Assisted living may not take them. If they're already in assisted living, they may be moved to a nursing home, aka a skilled nursing facility. That's what happened to my brother-in-law's mother.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:24 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't think that assisted living is a good fit for people who need serious daily medical care. Assisted living may not take them. If they're already in assisted living, they may be moved to a nursing home, aka a skilled nursing facility. That's what happened to my brother-in-law's mother.

And that is exactly what I have been saying for the past year. We had a situation here where I live. A neighbor needed total care. She could do nothing for herself, not even dress. Then she fell and broke her hip. The family and others kept telling us she was in assisted living and doing great. One neighbor said she was in a nursing home. Everyone else said not. I am not talking about how she is now. She could well be in assistant living now but not when she broke a hip. You are right. That is nursing home.

I wonder. Could people be using "assisted living" because it doesn't sound as dire as "nursing home"?

Old 03-05-2020, 10:05 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
And that is exactly what I have been saying for the past year. We had a situation here where I live. A neighbor needed total care. She could do nothing for herself, not even dress. Then she fell and broke her hip. The family and others kept telling us she was in assisted living and doing great. One neighbor said she was in a nursing home. Everyone else said not. I am not talking about how she is now. She could well be in assistant living now but not when she broke a hip. You are right. That is nursing home.

I wonder. Could people be using "assisted living" because it doesn't sound as dire as "nursing home"?
Some places provide both kinds of services. My mother is in an assisted living facility that accepts skilled nursing (nursing home) patients as well. The residents pay a different rate depending on the level of service they require.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:32 AM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:

Everyone knew about it but nobody was in touch with her and nobody is now?
To say it bluntly - when you cannot do anything for yourself does it matter if it is called tomato or tomatoe?

Old 03-05-2020, 12:19 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Everyone knew about it but nobody was in touch with her and nobody is now?
To say it bluntly - when you cannot do anything for yourself does it matter if it is called tomato or tomatoe?

I am sorry. That didn't come out right. Her chlldren are in touch with her. She had told me her doctor said she has alzheimers. That was before the accident. From then on, she had slowly withdrawn to the point of just sitting. That is when she got moved. Our updates reach us second hand. And, no, from the bit I observed before the accident, plus her next door neighbor's report, I do not believe she is doing as well as they want us to believe. Does that help?

Old 03-05-2020, 12:47 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Question, please" Other than what we who live in our own homes independently, is there a special type of "home" called Independent Living, as there is the "a
Assisted Living" type? In other words, is there another step between owning or renting a house/apartment and living privately with no interference and Assisted Living?

Gee! I hope that makes sense! Thanks. Hazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
MIL is in a facility which offers small apartments with kitchenette, balcony and covered parking. She has the option of three meals buffet and served or none, transportation and trained medical staff on site. Runs around 3k.
FIL was in a care facility in NJ for a month last fall for around 10-12k. Similar set up in GA was 7-8k.

What are you really looking. Pay in, services, insurance payments - it is a jungle. You will find more answers in the caregiving forum.
My elderly aunt lived in an independent living, low income senior/handicapped apartment building. She had a tiny, one bedroom apartment with a kitchenette. They did not offer meals or activities and there were not any medical staff on site. No one checked to make sure if you were alive or dead in your apartment. The advantage was that it only cost 1/3 of your income for rent and utilities (in her case $300 a month). A few people drove cars and they had van service a couple times a week to the grocery store and church. But, relatives needed to take you to doctors appointments and anywhere else if you couldn't get there yourself.

Now a friend of the family lived in a different independent living, senior apartment building in the same city (just a couple of blocks away). She had a huge, two bedroom apartment and paid about $2,000 in rent & utilities a month. That facility did not offer meals but did have periodic activities as well as vans going to the grocery store and other places. Many people still drove and they had underground parking. They also did not have any type of medical care or wellness checks for residents, but most people watched out for their neighbors.

The city also had low income, senior/handicapped independent facilities where they had meals included in the monthly fee (1/3 of your income). I believe that Medicaid paid for the rest.

Different cities have different names for similar levels of service.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
ALFs are right for people who can benefit from living there, and who need help with daily living. Meds are dosed so residents can’t forget or take too many doses. Meals are provided For residents who usually are done with cooking for themselves. Residents can keep their cars, but most residents no longer drive. Light housekeeping is provided. Laundry is done for residents. For extra monthly payments residents can have assistance with dressing and bathing.

Medicare does not pay for an ALF. Indigent residents can have Medicaid pay their expenses. Not all ALFs accept Medicaid. The factors involved vary from state to state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living